We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you pronounce Haleakala...

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Topic
How do you pronounce Haleakala...

After reading these boards for months, we will sooooon be in Maui and I must know how to correctly pronounce this word :)

Are there any other commonly mispronounced names other than about all of them haha.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,466 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do you pronounce Haleakala...

While Haleakala is not on this list listening to the pronunciations will give you a feel for the language.

http://hawaiian-words.com/common/

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,443 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do you pronounce Haleakala...

Hale, pronounce the e as a long A. aka, la, all pronounced as a short a

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,101 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do you pronounce Haleakala...

Aloha,

Hah-lay-ahh-kah-la (all soft vowels).

Other common problem words are Lahaina (La-hi-nah, NOT La-Hay-na), Kihei (Key-hay, not Key-hi), Makena (Mah-ken-a, not Ma- Keen-a), Kahului (Kah-hu-looey, not Kay-ha-looey), just for a few.

Hawaiian is a very difficult language, but generally--generally--the vowels are soft, not hard and flat.

Also, when there is a dipthong (two vowels next to each other), the word almost always takes the 'name' of the second vowel. See the words above for examples. Other examples include Wai (water) which is pronounced "Why", as in "i", and "Makai" (Ocean-side) which is Mah-ki).

Now to confuse you totally, one exception to the dipthong rule is "Mauka" (land or mountain side). It is pronounced Mow-ka. Often, the combination of "au" results in more of an "ow" sound. Other examples include Oahu (O-ah-hu), Maui, etc.

Edited: 04 January 2013, 17:37
Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do you pronounce Haleakala...

sw.....Thanks for the detailed explanation! I didn't know what an idiot I sounded like pronouncing Iao Valley until Jake at Bailey House Museum said it and I just cringed.

I think I am finally saying Po'olenalena Beach correctly but we have a joke where I say the end...lenalena...over and over again. I appreciate the corrections on spelling also. I no longer put a capital H in Lahaina! Happy New Year! Deb

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How do you pronounce Haleakala...

Thank you everyone, that helped a ton! My mental mind was totally reading/saying that wrong.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How do you pronounce Haleakala...

I hear you Deb.... Mammas link just taught me that its Not.... I - A _O valley as in all long sounds pronounced separately. Thanks Mamma!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,578 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do you pronounce Haleakala...

One thing to add - and it makes me crazy - no one calls Haleakala "Mount Haleakala."

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do you pronounce Haleakala...

Thanks mamma!!! That is an awesome link! Da Bus is cool cause they say names over and over again. And the visitor channel is helpful.

Casper.....thanks for pointing out mamma's link cause I didn't get that it would pronounce the words! Deb

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,923 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do you pronounce Haleakala...

To add a bit more complication: Haleakala has the stress on the first and last syllables, as there's a kahako (diacritical mark) over the last "a". And my language teacher here on Kaua`i says maah-ooka. The first and second syllables slide together with a slight stress on the first syllable, the main stress on the second. I learned from a native speaker that each island tends to have some slightly different pronunciations of words, most noticeable on Ni`ihau.

In short, Hawaiian has many rules that apply... except when they don't. :-) Not an easy language to learn by any means. Casper, don't feel bad; at least you're trying.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How do you pronounce Haleakala...

oh my...maybe I'll just point.

Haha , no its actually fun trying to figure it all out. Being from Illinois, I kinda laugh when people from other states pronounce the silent "s" on the end of Illinois.