We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which side of the Maui island is best for family time?

Missouri
Level Contributor
42 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
which side of the Maui island is best for family time?

Planning an anniversary trip to Maui with our 2 kids (ages 12/8), and we are just unsure which part of the island would be the best for a family. we are not interested really in "night life." will do 1 Luau dinner probably, so they can experience it. mostly our week will be ON THE BEACH. we dont need to be near the hustle and bustle, but want nice. Suggestions as to which area we should focus in getting our accommodations? we have found some on VRBO online. Thanks!

Oh, and we are planning a summer trip -- June thru August, not sure yet the month. Will narrow here in a couple of weeks. Will be traveling with a group.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which side of the Maui island is best for family time?

Kihei is very family friendly. We've stayed in Kaanapali and Kapalua and I must say we enjoy Kihei much better. We'll be there this Christamas and New Year.

New York
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which side of the Maui island is best for family time?

I really think north of Kaanapali might be nice for what you say you are looking for. Near enough to activities but not right on the "main strip". Something like the Maui Kaanapali Villas. I have rented direct from owner in both her locations...also Napili Bay. see www.mynapilibay.com. The unit in Napili Bay is a studio and very small..but the one at MKV is a one bedroom.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which side of the Maui island is best for family time?

I don't think you can go wrong. I wouldn't stay in Lahaina proper ... or Kahului ... but generally South or West Maui would be great.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: which side of the Maui island is best for family time?

A nightly budget would help. How big is the group? Their ages and interests? I assume you will all want to be in the same condo complex.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
625 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which side of the Maui island is best for family time?

Napili was a favorite for my daughter when she was 9. We did not stay there but had to return every day on her request. We now just stay there so we don't have to drive! Calm waters, lots of kids to play with, quiet beach. Lots of places to choose from. Best area in summer time for quiet nice calm water. The family is returning again in late May.

Missouri
Level Contributor
42 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which side of the Maui island is best for family time?

Total people...4 adults 4 kids for sure. Probably no more than $2000 for the week, half for both families... so $4000 max. 6 nites I think. We may need a condo that sleeps 12, if our sisters family can come. If that I think we could go higher for the weekly rate.

Edited: 08 January 2013, 00:26
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,839 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which side of the Maui island is best for family time?

Napili (West Maui) would be my first pick.

I think West Maui has more to see and do than South Maui.

The Hawaii Revealed website is a good resource.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

With a lot of people, check out Kahana Village and get two condos.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which side of the Maui island is best for family time?

You will probably need two condos, especially if you have 12.

There are not many that would sleep 8 or more. When we brought our family of 7 adults and 1 baby a few years ago, we looked for a 3 bedroom condo that allowed 7 people. Our budget was similar to yours. We only found a very few that size that would work for us, and they all said only 6 people including children. We ended up not counting the baby and hoped they wouldn't be sticklers about it, but they could have been.

We didn't start looking until March or April for July/August. So hopefully you'll find more, looking now. Napili or Kahana might work well, but many of those don't have AC. You might want that in summer.

Happy planning! Bet you will love Maui!

Missouri
Level Contributor
42 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which side of the Maui island is best for family time?

Thanks, we came to Maui for one day last time we came. We had said then, we would spend most of our time our next trip in Maui. I found a condo for 15 at one time, but I will keep checking. We are so excited!

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which side of the Maui island is best for family time?

cool! Where is the super sized family condo?