We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui to Pearl Harbor !?

Wa
Level Contributor
181 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Maui to Pearl Harbor !?

We will be in Maui for the first time next month and we thought a day trip to see Pearl Harbor would be interesting. Anyone have any suggestions if this is a good or bad idea? We are there for 7 days total. Thanks!!

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui to Pearl Harbor !?

If you search Pearl Harbor in the Maui forum there are many threads on the subject. If you have no plans to visit Oahu I would say absolutely do it. Pearl Harbor is an incredible experience and is not far at all from HNL. Grab an early flight and make a day of it with a visit to Waikiki.

boston, ma
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui to Pearl Harbor !?

We took a 9 a.m. flight out and returned at 9 p.m. It was well worth the visit. We even had time to have lunch in Waikiki and drive up the coast to Hanauma Bay. Wouldn't have missed it.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,025 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui to Pearl Harbor !?

In a one week trip, I wouldn't want to devote more time to being in airports, and there's more than enough to enjoy on Maui for a week, so If you think you'll do a return trip to Hawaii in the near future, then I would leave it for that trip (and chances are pretty good that once you see how beautiful Hawaii is, you'll be planning another trip soon). On a future trip, you could arrange a flight to HNL, spend an overnight or more there and then go on to another island if you didn't want to do a trip just to Oahu, and fly home from the 2nd island.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,045 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui to Pearl Harbor !?

If you were from the east coast & this was a one time trip to Hawaii, I'd say spend a day on Oahu & go to Pearl Harbor.

But, you're from Washington State & will probably be back to Hawaii.

So skip Oahu this time.

Blackwood, New...
Level Contributor
414 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui to Pearl Harbor !?

Cheryl. Great idea.Choosing to go to Pearl Harbor is almost like a religious expierence. After many trips to the islands it is still one of the most moving and memorable events in my life. I don't have to explain this and I don't criticize anyone who feels differently. Make sure you get your tickets in advance.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,070 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui to Pearl Harbor !?

How many nights on Maui? 6?

I personally would not break away for a day at Pearl Harbor. Sure, it's doable. Not that hard. And you won't be dealing with luggage, interisland flight ... even the airport would be that bad.

But I agree with Dusty. You'll be back. There is so much to Oahu. A hit and run doesn't do it justice.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui to Pearl Harbor !?

Hello,

Did you do a self guided tour? We are planning on visiting and there are four kids in our group, ages 12 through 8. You mentioned dining. Any suggestions? My mother in law, aka the "planner" likes memorable places where as me and my husband likes simple, local type food. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

dstertz

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,070 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui to Pearl Harbor !?

dstertz - you might want to add these questions to the new post you need to write/move from the Maui Forum.

Also - start reading down through the Oahu Forum, as we get questions about Pearl Harbor almost every day.

You want dining where? Tell us. And tell us where you are staying.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,939 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui to Pearl Harbor !?

Yes, it's very doable. Get an early morning flight, rent a car, go to Pearl Harbor, Waikiki for lunch or an early dinner and back to the airport. If you have the money and don't think you will be back for a while, GO!!

Longview, WA
Level Contributor
50 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui to Pearl Harbor !?

We are staying in Maui in May and are thinking of doing this also. We looked it up and doing it on your own looks cheaper. We like to be busy so we don't mind the airports and all. Looking at flying out of west Maui to save drive time also.f l rights are a limited though from there.