We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

About Maui, where to stay, what to see...

Perth
Level Contributor
143 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
About Maui, where to stay, what to see...

Hi All, we are a family of three (one teen daughter) looking to spend 4 or 5 days on Maui, as part of a trip around two to three of Hawaii's islands in April/May. We are very experienced, light travellers and are fully aware of the pitfalls of such island hopping in terms of lost time, but we don't have a choice; we also realise 4 to 5 days won't nearly do justice to Maui, but it's the best we can do at present. Could you please advise what each part of the island has to offer, where the best place to stay is, and what is good to do on the island. About us: we don't need 5 star resorts, we just like clean and comfortable (would like Wifi) and a nice beach location. We don't like guided tours, but prefer to hire a car and self-explore, enjoy looking at scenery and historical sites etc. Yes we like to shop (but not all day every day!), we don't need to play golf, but would be open to ziplining/, ATV, horse-riding etc. Your thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks in advance...

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,998 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: About Maui, where to stay, what to see...

Hi IFeet,

Please read through some of the forum threads and information in the links to the right of this page. Both will provide information to help get you started with your research .... and then once you've narrowed down your choices somewhat, we can help with more specific questions.

A guidebook about Hawaii that is often recommended here is "Hawaii for Dummies" .... the name is a bit 'off putting' but the book is worthwhile.

Level Contributor
35,471 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: About Maui, where to stay, what to see...

A stay in the Kaanapali area would be nice. Nearby Lahaina has a lot of history. Have fun! :)

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,504 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: About Maui, where to stay, what to see...

Save the shopping for Oahu before departing for home. then you won't be carrying your goodies from island to island.

Second, as you decide on which islands, then you can chose the activities that are unique or easier to access on that island.

1) active volcano and Mona Kea ...Big Island

2) wonderful sandy beaches for water sports, SUP, snorkeling, boogie boarding. dormant volcano that you can drive to the summit .Maui

3) lush green hiking..Kauai

4) historical sites, shopping, beautiful North shore.. Oahu

Have fun researching. Susan has a good suggestion.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: About Maui, where to stay, what to see...

I agree with SusanM. We could type our little fingers off with lists and lists and lists of information and advice and recommendations. We could write a book. But that's not what we are here for. The Maui Forum - by just reading down through it - is a great source of information. Itineraries, discussions about activities and accomodations, etc.

You need a travel guidebook for Maui and a good map that you can refer to now.

You need to familiarize yourself with the various parts of the Island. Most visitors stay in South Maui (Wailea/Kihei) or West Maui - Ka'anapali north to Kapalua. We really cannot advise about hotels/resorts without an idea of your nightly accomodations budget.

You need to start reading. Do your homework. Why did you choose Maui? Why are you coming? Start there - with what you want to do.

Advise: Always count your nights, not your days. AND - make sure that your rental car is reserved in advance ... a few months if you can.

Perth
Level Contributor
143 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: About Maui, where to stay, what to see...

Thanks all, I did download and read the gohawaii guidebooks, and read a lot of past posts and top questions before I posted. I am sure you can all appreciate how confusing it gets for someone who has never been to Hawaii. Thanks syrahgirl and barefootnAR I shall start with your ideas. Again thanks for your replies.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: About Maui, where to stay, what to see...

IFeet - forgive me for asking a question that may have been answered on one of your other posts ... but what does the big picture look like? You really need to count your nights, not your days ... and 4/5 days is short. Are you hopping around the Islands alot? Where else are you going and for how many nights? It's a logical question for us ... trying to balance out what we recommend.

Perth
Level Contributor
143 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: About Maui, where to stay, what to see...

BLBL nothing concrete but we will fly into Honolulu then hopefully out same day to perhaps Maui first for 5/6 nights, then time either on Kuaui or BI or both then back to Oahu for 6 or so nights before flying home. As I said, I realise its all too short and we lose time in transit. We may have in total 20 or 21 nights dependent on airlines etc. Jst trying to work out what is a must-see for each place, such as definitely Pearl Harbour on Oahu. Thanks again.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: About Maui, where to stay, what to see...

Hi,

One of the best meals we had during our stay in Maui was at Leoda's Pie Shop; without a doubt, the BEST Reuben sandwich I have ever had in my Life...and I've had many, in Many places. Also, the Very best pies ever..macadamia nut chocolate, banana, etc..wow!

http://www.leodas.com/

this is also a great place to stop for sandwiches and handheld pies (apple!), to take to the beach or on the plane home.

We enjoyed driving to this little town:

http://www.paiamaui.com/

it is on the road before the road to Hana; fun, cool little town to roam and enjoy lunch and shopping! I had a swimming encounter with a sea turtle in the open ocean, amazing..and wanted a good photo that was similar of the honu I saw. Found a photo by a local photographer, beautifully done,by a local photog, for $17.00..adorns our wall now, and makes me smile each time I pass it!

mahalo!

Cupcake

Hope you enjoy Maui as much as we did!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,754 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: About Maui, where to stay, what to see...

Will you fly both in and out of HNL? That may cut down on your time for other islands. Your teenage daughter will probably like Waikiki. You could also stay North Shore Oahu.

I'd skip Big Island It's VERY big, and you'd want to stay both Kohala area and Hilo area, for the volcano.

Kauai is *small*. Gorgeous, but you can't even see most of it except by helicopter or boat. You could shorten this stay and still enjoy it.

Maui has a lot of variety. I'd book a condo here for a full week. "Home away from home" makes a nice break from hotels. The chance to spread out and prepare a few meals is a plus too. The 'buzziest' part of Maui is the Kaanapali/Lahaina area. More 'manicured' is Wailea in South Maui; this is also more convenient for touring Haleakala and Upcountry, Iao ValleyPaia and Road to Hana. Napili and Kapalua are beautiful, but a little 'removed' (far north). I'd put this in the 'middle' of a 'sandwich' of Kauai and Oahu.

You will want a car everywhere outside of Honolulu.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,355 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: About Maui, where to stay, what to see...

Have you figured in all the costs of island hopping back and forth between islands? Added to the time wasted in airports you are missing some really great "island time" and that is priceless!