We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2nd day in Maui- Saturday

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
236 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
2nd day in Maui- Saturday

It is early Sunday as I write this, still waking up early, but we are early risers anyway. It rained quite a bit on Saturday, and very overcast when it wasn't raining. We spent the morning shopping, there was a craft fair at Napili market that had some nice things. We bought some burritos and tacos from Maui Taco's, which is right there, and brought it back to our condo and ate and had a few beers on the lanai.

I was getting worried that The Feast would be cancelled, and I kept calling them throuout the day to check. They had cancelled Frida's luau, and they were waiting till 5:30 to decide. We left Napili at 5:30, light sprinkles. Parking for the luau was easy, an underground parking lot for $5.00. I can imagine during busier months, parking could be more difficult. We were handed Mai Tai's and led to our table. I made the reservation 2 months ago, and we got front and center table. Very nice. Watched a crusie ship leaving. The sprinkles stopped, and the food started coming. Each course has 3 or 4 things, most were very good. The waiters described each selection. I switched to wine, which went better with the food. The dancers would perform after each course was served. About halfway thru the evening, the clouds parted, and we had an amazing, coloful sunset. About 20 people jumped up and went on to the beach to take picutres. Dessert was so-so, but by this time I was quite full anyway. I enjoyed the evening, and was glad we chose this luau.

Today is supposed to be a very nice day. We have plans to go snorkeling and have some serious beach time I hope. I think we will head south if we need to. Tonight is dinner at The Plantation House to celebrate our 25th anniversary.

More to come....

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,581 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2nd day in Maui- Saturday

Happy Anniversary! 25 Years! My DH subs for HS English. One day the class was discussing a book dealing with a family's problems; it touched on marriages. The class asked DH how long he'd been married. When he said 35 years there was a brief silence followed by applause! The kids were genuinely impressed. (Kinda sad.) So...Congratulations!

I'm glad to read your cautions about time in traffic and the noise of surf. When I write those, most people on the board don't believe it.

(If you do get down to Kihei and have time, would you drive through Maui Kamaole and write to me about how it is being maintained? Thanks.)

Coldwater, MI
Level Contributor
137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2nd day in Maui- Saturday

Thanks for taking the time to do this while you are there! It is fun getting this in installments. We are trying to decide on a Luau, so thanks for the details.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2nd day in Maui- Saturday

Happy Anniversary! I have also made reservations at the Plantation House (for next Sunday)...let me know how it goes!

Thank you.

Midland, MI
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2nd day in Maui- Saturday

Lindy,

Fun to read your reports while you are there! Happy Anniversary! Hope the weather continues to improve.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,171 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2nd day in Maui- Saturday

More congratulations on 25 years. Hope the sun continues.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
48 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2nd day in Maui- Saturday

Happy silver anniversary! I am so enjoying getting your posts in "real time"! But I sure hope the rain stops for you and you get perfect weather the rest of the trip!

chicago
Level Contributor
353 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2nd day in Maui- Saturday

lindy, happy anniversary!!!!! we were scheduled to leave friday and spent a wad and a heap of time changing our flight and moving from condo to hotel enabling us to stay until sat so we were really bummed to wake up to rain for our last day. fortunately i forced my daughter and husband to hit the beach anyway. after spending about 1/2 hour under beach towels the sun finally appeared and we had mostly sunshine until we had to leave for our flight. we were at kaanapali and entertained the idea of driving south for the day. glad we didn't.

chisue, we just got back from maui kamaole. we've stayed at kamaole sands once before and im not sure which one i like more. the grounds on both are very nice. maui kamaole has a gorgeous "upper" pool while the lower is pretty boring. the rooms are very spacious,...larger than kam. sands i believe. my complaint is that because of the the layout of the buildings, we had a lovely view of the ocean but no view of the mountains behind us which we did have at kam sands. not sure if thats true for all the buildings,...we were in H. we did have assigned parking which was a bit of a pain and had to pay an extra $32 for our daughters car and she had to park in "visitor" parking. Over all it's a really nice complex, with typical maui landscaping (flowers everywhere) and seemed well maintained. The hottub at the upper pool was having some problems during our stay, occasionally not bubbling when we wanted it to but other than that i have no real complaints. Loved the beach to the south, keawakapu, i believe. we liked it so much more than kam 3 which was crowded and always seemed to have a lot of locals with a lot of loud music and colorful language.

snorkeling was better there too. spotted an eel and a couple turtles there. you can walk there from the condo. across the street is the boat dock and along the shore is a lovely path made of mulch, bordered by white coral and rocks which will take you to the beach. we preferred to drive. there's public parking just past the 5 palms. (the next driveway in fact) it's about a 1 30 second drive from m.k.

Arizona
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2nd day in Maui- Saturday

Lindy,

Happy, happy anniversary! You could not of picked a better place to spend it at! Glad to hear the Feast was good, we're going in June and have had our reservations for over 2 months now, we ought to be right front and center as well!

I was thrilled to hear the sun was coming out for you two! It's late here, so I imagine you had a fun day of beach and snorkeling! Thanks for the continued updates.....

Level Contributor
687 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2nd day in Maui- Saturday

Hi Lindy,

The Feast sounds like a fantastic evening out! After saying last Feb. that I would never do another luau (went to a lame one on the B.I.), I'm thinking that I might book one for my family for next year at The Feast.

Congratulations on 25 years!! How was your dinner at the Plantation House tonight?

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,581 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 2nd day in Maui- Saturday

Thanks for the report, Mich711! Although we employ a rental management agent, it's hard to know what's going on through the whole complex when we are only there the month of February. We own in "I" grouping, which we chose over the units fronting Kihei Road and the newest units at the top of the hill. Our view is over Maalea Bay and West Maui Mountains from the lanai and Haleakala from the courtyard. MK was built in three stages, with the units near the road coming first. So many have been bought and sold in the past year that it is hard to keep up with what's available for rent. Did you rent direct or through CRH or Maui Condo and Home? I direct people to this website to compare the different complexes as to amenities and floorplans: www.crhmaui.com

Really sad about AA discontinuing direct flights ORD - OGG! We've booked through HNL for February -- like to buy economy and upgrade using AAdvantage miles.