We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iao Valley worth it as stand alone jaunt?

California
Level Contributor
381 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Iao Valley worth it as stand alone jaunt?

We will be in Ka'anapali in 3 weeks, and are contemplating a visit to Iao Valley.

It looks beautiful, but is it worth a visit if that's the only place we'd visit in that area? Many reviews say it's only about an hour's worth of activity.

It seems like it's almost all the way back to the airport, but Google maps says 38 minutes to drive - is this accurate?

Is there a nice place for lunch pretty near there or on the way back?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,983 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iao Valley worth it as stand alone jaunt?

Why not couple Iao Valley with Haleakala ... Up-Country ... Maui Ocean Center.

California
Level Contributor
381 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iao Valley worth it as stand alone jaunt?

Two more questions:

1. Is it significantly more chilly there than at the beach?

2. Is it a boots or flip flops destination?

California
Level Contributor
381 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iao Valley worth it as stand alone jaunt?

That's an excellent suggestion BLBL!

Maui Ocean Center is on my list of places to see...not sure why I thought it was in Kihei!

I clearly need a vacation...any food recs in the area?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,983 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iao Valley worth it as stand alone jaunt?

Iao Valley - when we were there - was very rainforesty. I took a light cotton pull over and had on tennies. As I recall, it can be slippery.

The Maui Ocean Center ... tends to be warm and sunny!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,251 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iao Valley worth it as stand alone jaunt?

There is the Bailey House Museum in Wailuku just as you start up the valley if you have an interest in Maui history.

Stillwell's Bakery in Wailuku gets rave reviews as a lunch stop...pick up some goodies for breakfast too!

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iao Valley worth it as stand alone jaunt?

For me Iao Valley was worth the trip as a single stop. But then, I'm a super-lazy vacationer. Most of my "excursions" are just ways to break up what would be an otherwise endless stream of beach days.

I'm all about the excursions that let me say, "Well, we got out into the world today. So now we can do some more nothing!"

: )

If you're the other type of vacationer -- the kind who likes to scuttle from place to place taking in all the sights you can see -- Iao Valley alone might not be worth the drive to you.

(Also: I don't actually remember whether I wore my sweatshirt in Iao Valley in July. But I was glad I had my hat and sunscreen.)

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iao Valley worth it as stand alone jaunt?

"There is the Bailey House Museum in Wailuku just as you start up the valley if you have an interest in Maui history."

definitely agree.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,683 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iao Valley worth it as stand alone jaunt?

<<<< I'm all about the excursions that let me say, "Well, we got out into the world today. So now we can do some more nothing!" >>>>

I love that quote and vacation style Beacheeme! Exactly. We're getting ready to do that for nine days on Kauai and I can hardly wait!

And I agree, we would definitely go to Iao Valley, early morning for more chance at clear skies and being alone, just to see this historical place. The suggestion to stop by Bailey House Museum and Stillwell's makes it even better. Deb

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,618 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Iao Valley worth it as stand alone jaunt?

Yes, it's cool and damp...and buggy. Bring some cover-ups and spray. It's a unique and eerie place, but only about an hour or two to see. Check out the Bailey House too.

Wailuku is a 'real, working town'. You might stop at the Queen Kaahumanu mall in Kahului to browse. There are farmers' markets and some entertainment some days. A mix of tourists and locals.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,048 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iao Valley worth it as stand alone jaunt?

We always combine our Iao Valley excursions with lunch (on Wednesdays and Fridays) at the Class Act restaurant at the college in Wailuku. The culinary arts students, under the guidance of some of Maui's top chefs, prepare and serve a wonderful 4-course gourmet lunch for $32. It's the best meal bargain on the sialnd!