We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help With Timeshare Choices

Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Help With Timeshare Choices

Hi - I will be travelling this summer with a family (4 kids ages 9-16 yrs old). I have a Marriott Timeshare and I am trading through Interval. Besides the Marriott choices which I will request can anyone recommend a property that has villas and would be comparable to the Marriott properties? Looking for beach front, kid/teen friendly, updated 2 BR unit. Some of the choices are Whaler on Kaanapoli Beach, Papakea Beach Resort, Maui Beach Vacation Club, Kaanapoli Beach Club, Westin Kaanapoli Ocean Resort VillasMaui Banyan Vacation Club, Maui Sunset. We pay a lot of money for the Marriott brand. Don't want to trade into some dump just because it's on the list.

Mentioned in this post
Maui Banyan Vacation Club
Maui Banyan Vacation Club
197 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui Beach Vacation Club
Maui Beach Vacation Club
151 Reviews
Maui, HI
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
948 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help With Timeshare Choices

IMO the top tier of your list are the Westin Villas and the Marriott Ocean Club Maui. Another great option, although its not on your list, is the nearly new Honua Kai. Gorgeous, uniformly upscale, and one of the best bangs for the buck on the island.

Edited: 20 January 2013, 14:09
Mentioned in this post
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,331 Reviews
Maui, HI
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Maui Resort...
5,423 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
7,005 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help With Timeshare Choices

We trade our Marriott Timeshare to Ocean Club. Very nice for us. All our years of trading, never got into Westin Villas. we traded for July. Got it fast. Read reviews about the other places.

Have fun.

Safe travels

Indiana
Level Contributor
836 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help With Timeshare Choices

Honua Kai is not a timeshare property. I would choose the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas if you can reserve them.

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
The Westin Kaanapali...
4,691 Reviews
Maui, HI
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,331 Reviews
Maui, HI
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
948 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help With Timeshare Choices

I realize Honua Kai isn't a timeshare. My point was that if he chose not to "trade" but rather pay out of pocket, it would be a good choice.

Edited: 20 January 2013, 17:16
Mentioned in this post
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,331 Reviews
Maui, HI
Southern California
Level Contributor
14,598 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help With Timeshare Choices

Papakea is nice (we rented from friends) but there is NO beach there, had to drive up to Kapalua to swim every day.

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Blackwood, New...
Level Contributor
414 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help With Timeshare Choices

I am only familiar with the WKORV and I am very happy with my ownership. Why wouldn't you stay with a Marriott. Great location and you probably would have a better chance at a better room at the Marriott.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help With Timeshare Choices

Marriot Ocean Club Napili Villa Wing. good part of the beach, bbq, full kitchen, decent weather.

Mentioned in this post
Napili Beach
Napili Beach
2,372 Reviews
Maui, HI
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,859 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help With Timeshare Choices

The Westin is the only comparable property but I think you will find it difficult to trade into only 6 months out.

The Marriott is wonderful and you will be happy with it.

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Maui Resort...
5,423 Reviews
Maui, HI
9. Re: Help With Timeshare Choices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 05:15