We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bonine..Ginger Pills..or SeaBands????

one hour from...
Level Contributor
658 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bonine..Ginger Pills..or SeaBands????

I know this has been discussed over & over...BUT...... Never hear anyone talk about Sea Bands for sea sickness....

What is the Best Non Drowsy thing to use????

Dont want to be sea sick on all the tours we have planned....

Mahalo for any remidies anyone can think of........... Annie

Chicago...
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bonine..Ginger Pills..or SeaBands????

My advice: Have sushi from a reputable place the night before and eat a lot of ginger. That works for me. I like the real ginger over any tabs.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,611 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bonine..Ginger Pills..or SeaBands????

I fyou use ginger pills you have to use a large dose not just eating a little ginger from sushi. Being seasick is NOT something to kid around about. It can ruin a whole trip!! If you want to make sure that you do not get sea sick you need to take a pill(meclazine is the generic for bonine). Dramamine II has meclazine in it and meclazine is what they give you if you get sick on a cruise ship. The thing is you have to take it BEFORE the activity. I fyou wait until you actually feel queasy then it is too late.!! It works great!! My husband gets seasick just looking at water but the meclazine worked perfectly.

Level Contributor
687 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bonine..Ginger Pills..or SeaBands????

My daughter got queasy half way through our whale watch trip. One of the crew gave her a bag of ice to put behind her ear. She held it there, and just sat, and before long, it did work! I was very surprised. When we arrived back on shore, she was just fine!

Ronda, North...
Level Contributor
193 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bonine..Ginger Pills..or SeaBands????

I get motion sickness quite easy so I am bringing with me the meclazine someone else mentioned. Dramamine is the "name" you've probably heard of but go to your local drug store (CVS, Eckerd, etc.) and they probably have their brand and just look at the active ingredients and you'll see meclizine there, probably 25mg for the less drowsy, and it will be a fraction of the cost most likely.

In the past I used the regular Dramamine which is 50mg I believe of some other drug and that just knocks me out and I feel like crap so maybe this will do the trick and actually be less drowsy.

Never tried the ginger though, my doctor did recommend TripTone or something like that but I couldn't find it.

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
399 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bonine..Ginger Pills..or SeaBands????

My husband gets terribly seasick. He even got seasick on a kayak trip we took!!! Take the draminine or generic the night before and then again that morning. I wouldn't worry about it making you tired. You be having too much fun to sleep. If you are doing an afternoon or evening cruise I would still take the meds the night before and then again afew hours before. Also - avoid coffee. If my hub drinks coffee he gets sick, if he doesn't - he's fine. No coffee or acidy fruit.

one hour from...
Level Contributor
658 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bonine..Ginger Pills..or SeaBands????

Thanks, everyone...

I never used to get seasick....

grew up around water and boats...

After I turned 40 lots of strange stuff happened >>>LOL

Went on a cruise: not my first..but first time getting seasick...terrible feeling...

So this time I want to be prepared...dont want to feel that way again......

I think I will try Bonine..that seems to be a less drowsy formula...and will also pick up some crystalized ginger too!!!

Mahalo to all... Annie :)

California
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bonine..Ginger Pills..or SeaBands????

I feel like I have to reply to this since I am HORRIBLY motion sick (so much so that I get car sick when I drive myself in heavy traffic). Scopolamine patches have been my savior! They are prescription patches that you stick behind your ear and it'll last for several days. It works on your autonomic nervous system so has some side effects such as dry mouth but very tolerable compared to sea sickness. I've gone on several cruises with this patch and did fine. Just call up your doc and tell him/her you're going on vacation and need it for motion sickness.

Phx. Arizona
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bonine..Ginger Pills..or SeaBands????

goumgal....Do those patches stay on when in water? Planning to take a snorkeling trip with Paragon and what the patches to stay put.

Texas
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bonine..Ginger Pills..or SeaBands????

I have also used the "travel patch". Don't know if it will stay on while you are snorkeling, I never snorkeled with one on. They did stay on well. I also used patches on cruises and had no problems. I got real quesy flying one time so last time I flew used dramamine and it also worked for me. I did get a little drowsy at first but prefer that to feeling quesy. Patch does give you a "cotton mouth", but it seemed to get better the longer I wore it. Think I'm going for the patch this time around! You forget you have it on, but have to take the pills pretty often and I don't want to watch the clock.

Calverton, New York
Level Contributor
331 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bonine..Ginger Pills..or SeaBands????

I am the motion sick queen! Drives my husband crazy. Sitting in a theater, especially IMAX, can get me sick. If I am sure I am going to be in a situation that will be a problem, I take non-drowsy 24 hour Dramamine. If I am kayaking or someting like that, Ginger extract drops in my water bottle work fine. If I am in a helicopter, I do both. Cruise ships, ginger drops are all I need. Seabands haven't worked for me, and I found them annoying.