We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Semi-Live Trip Report, January 16-26 (Warning: Long!)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
199 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Semi-Live Trip Report, January 16-26 (Warning: Long!)

Aloha! It is so good to be back on the beautiful island of Maui and to have the chance to connect, via Trip Advisor, to dear friends once again. I say that this trip report is semi-live because while I am still here, I am already several days behind. And the reason is simple.

You see, after having returned to this beautiful place for the fifth time, I may have finally mastered the true rhythm of the islands. Maui no longer just seeps into my bones… on this trip, it seems to have stolen those bones completely away.

DH and I have been here since Wednesday and today is Sunday, and here is the basic itinerary we have followed each day. I will write about the variations later.

4:30 AM. Wake up, wander out to the lanai. Watch and listen to the pounding surf. Appreciate the sound of the wind rattling the palm fronds. Marvel at the sheer number of variations of the color indigo. The soft, velvety indigo of the sky. The deep, inky indigo of the water. The muted indigo along the horizon. Even in the still darkness of the night, there is color variation. There is texture. There is the smell of flowers floating in the breeze.

6:00 AM. Watch as the sky floods with color, and another day begins in paradise. Eat some fruit out on the lanai. Sweet golden pineapple. Ripe rich papaya, bursting with flavor and color. These taste so nasty back on the mainland, but here, having been grown locally, they are fresh and tasty and one of my favorite fruits. Brew some Maui coffee and inhale the heavenly aroma.

8:00 AM. Break out the binoculars. Watch the whales dancing in the channel. It is whale soup. They are everywhere. Do you watch the mama teaching her baby how to breach? Or the one that has tail-slapped 27 times before you grew tired of counting and decided just to enjoy the show? There’s three to the left. There’s a few more off to the right. And straight ahead, there’s two breaching several consecutive times, barely moments apart. Are they competing? Or just enjoying this beautiful warm sunny day?

10:00 AM. Take a nap on the lounge chair out on the lanai. Watching whales is, evidently, tiring work.

12:00 noon. Wake up and think about lunch. Decide you are not hungry. Watch the whales some more. You can say whatever you want about whale behavior. We can debate for hours over what is mating behavior, what is competitive behavior, and what purpose any of their other behaviors serve. But watching them? Watching them, it is easy to believe that the reason for these amazing acrobatics is that they, too, are unable to contain their joy over having returned to the island of Maui.

2:00 PM. Decide that you are still not hungry for lunch, but that another nap sounds good. It’s hot on the lanai though. Move inside and nap on the bed, looking out over the ocean as you drift off to sleep.

4:00 PM. Back out on the lanai watching more whales. I know that this sounds incredibly boring, but trust me. It is not.

6:00 PM. Think about dinner. Decide that you are not truly interested. One way or another, dinner would be an effort. Either you would need to cook, or you would need to put on more than a bathing suit and drive somewhere in search of it. Eat some more fruit instead.

Think about making a drink. Decide that this is too much effort as well. Watch as the last rays of the sun drain from the evening sky. Marvel at the last colors of the day. The dazzling glow of gold along the horizon. The pink and purple and blue that wash up from there, like soft water colors, feathering out across the sky. Allow the sound of the conch shells being blown to seep inside whatever bones you have left…it’s call hauntingly primitive. I suspect it is just tourist hype, but somehow, it never fails to touch me on some deep instinctive level.

7:00 PM. Take another nap on the lanai.

8:30 PM. Head off to bed. Relaxed. Content. As happy as the whales.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Semi-Live Trip Report, January 16-26 (Warning: Long!)

Hey! I have been rereading your trip reports from your last time in Maui! I take it from the lack of cooking that you left your son at home this trip! So glad you are enjoying the whales. Waves from Joan and Dave please (We had to cancel our Feb. trip)!

You haven't even made the famous pineapple upside down cake???? I hope you have make an appt. for your massage at least!

Have a wonderful time!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Semi-Live Trip Report, January 16-26 (Warning: Long!)

Czar.....my memories of your posts are that you are a very hard working person.(And your trip reports are amazing!) I am deeply happy for you that you have found your true happiness on this trip. Were it not for the fact that we are similarly relaxing on Kauai right now.... I would be deeply envious of you both. :-))) Enjoy every minute! Deb

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,395 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Semi-Live Trip Report, January 16-26 (Warning: Long!)

Love it! I can relate to being happy just watching the whales. I was mesmerized by them last year and can't wait for March. Sounds perfect and wonderful to me!! Can't wait to read more!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,434 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Semi-Live Trip Report, January 16-26 (Warning: Long!)

Aaahhh, czar! Isn't it amazing that each time you return you fall into "Maui Time" quicker? I swear, at this point, all I have to do is step on to our Hawaiian Air flight and I'm already there!

Your days sound much like what we will have in 2 weeks...relax and renew! And watch lots of whales from the lanai!

Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
337 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Semi-Live Trip Report, January 16-26 (Warning: Long!)

Thanks for your report - can't wait to see the whales and sunrises and sunsets.

You make it seem almost like one is there...just not quite...:)

Where is the condo you are staying at that you have such a great view?

Enjoy the rest of your holiday - looking forward to the next report.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Semi-Live Trip Report, January 16-26 (Warning: Long!)

Sounds like the perfect vacation to me! Thanks for poking in with a report. Hope the rest of your stay is equally "bone seeping." :-)

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Semi-Live Trip Report, January 16-26 (Warning: Long!)

Your report is my new "guided imagery". This is all I need to get me through to when we will be booking our next Maui vacay.

La Verne, Ca.
Level Contributor
657 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Semi-Live Trip Report, January 16-26 (Warning: Long!)

Sounds like my type of vacay! I pictured myself in your place as I read it.

Thank you for your report :)

until I return.....hopefully 2014

Paris, France
Level Contributor
199 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Semi-Live Trip Report, January 16-26 (Warning: Long!)

Hello Joan! DH and I decided to come to Maui to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. But in the end, we wanted DS to see whales too. So we came alone on the 16th, and then DH and two of our dearest friends in all the world joined us on the 19th. This is their first trip ever to the islands, and it has been such a treat for us to see their sheer delight and to share this place that we love so much with them. BTW, I baked the pineapple upside down cake just tonight and the place smells heavenly.

Hi Deb! Can't wait to read your report on the Kauai boards! How are your whales? Our whales say hello!

Aloha Janiceinbc. We are staying in Hale Ono Loa. The complex is a little older and a little tired, and lots of working people live here. But this only serves to keep it real, and it makes for a quiet, totally relaxing stay. I highly recommend the 209, 309, and 409 units. They sit right on the sea wall, and their views are truly incredible.

Aloha Mama! The whales have been stupendous. They put on quite the show for us today...the best yet! I'm convinced that they are warming up in anticipation of your impending arrival. I am sure that I could get in the swing of things even quicker if Hawaiian Air would just fly from Denver! I've heard so many great things about them.

To all. Thank you for your kind words. I will do my best to bring you a taste of the islands while I am here!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,173 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Semi-Live Trip Report, January 16-26 (Warning: Long!)

Sounds like a perfect trip!! Mahalo for the trip report! ;-)