We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with 4 day Itinerary

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Help with 4 day Itinerary

After a 4 hour drive to the Bellingham airport and a 4 hour flight to Kahului, DH and I will arrive at 8:15pm on Wed. Jan. 30 and pick up our rental car. Will there be any restaurants to eat at this late besides fast food? Then we're off to our hotel in Kihei. We have 4 full days in Maui and then we're off to the Big Island on Mon, Feb 4 in the afternoon.

Any suggestions/edits would be appreciated! I haven't booked anything yet, so I can move the days around if need be.

Day 1: Arrive at Haleakala at 6am for 6:55am sunrise. Hike 30 min to an hour. Breakfast at Kula Lodge. I don't know what to do the rest of the day and dinner. Any suggestions?

Day 2: Snorkel tour to Molkini from 7am - 1pm either from Makena or Maalaea harbour. Haven't chosen the tour yet, but I'm pregnant so there are certain tour companies I can only choose from. Ones with speed rafts won't take me, but the catarmarans and larger boats will. Will rent snorkel gear after the tour so that we can go off shore in our free time. Breakfast and lunch are provided on these tours. So just need to find something to do for the afternoon and place for dinner.

Day 3: Early breakfast in Paia, pick up picnic lunch and we're off to the Road to Hana for the day. Plan on making as many stops as possible and swimming in O'heo Gulch. I'm guessing this will take us into the evening. Are there any restaurants in Hana?

Day 4 (Sunday): Touring West Maui beaches, snorkeling, (touring Whaler's Village and Lahaina perhaps,) Feast at Lele luau in Lahaina. Is there anywhere to change/freshen up between snorkeling and luau? I have chosen this luau because I want to avoid buffets (scared I'll get sick being that I'm pregnant. I should be able to request the dishes be well cooked at Lele.)

Monday morning: Breakfast, Return snorkel gear, ??

Mentioned in this post
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
761 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maalaea
Maalaea
55 Reviews
Maui, HI
Feast At Lele
Feast At Lele
1,687 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Kula Lodge
Kula Lodge
1,295 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui Tours and Transportation
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Unique Maui Tours
Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Roberts Hawaii
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,130 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with 4 day Itinerary

On Day 1, I would keep the rest of the day open. After your travel day on Wed, and then probably only about 5-6 hours sleep that night before you head off to Haleakala, you'll probably want to enjoy a really relaxing afternoon/evening.

Day 2 - exploring S. Maui, stopping at some of the beaches and a drive down to La Perouse Bay would be fun after your snorkel tour.

Day 3 - It would be better to have dinner back in Paia ... Mama's if you feel like splurging or Flatbread Pizza. Driving the RTH in the dark isn't recommended ... too many curves & one lane bridges, and no lights. I would aim to leave Oheo Gulch by 4 to get back to Paia before dark.

Day 4 - Kapalua Bay and DT Fleming beaches have change rooms/restrooms but facilities are very basic from what I remember....e.g. outdoor shower for rinsing sand off, and no mirror or electrical outlet in the inside facility. The floors will be sandy/wet, so changing into something nice is a bit of a challenge. Hopefully someone else has a better suggestion.

Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
La Perouse Bay
La Perouse Bay
146 Reviews
Maui, HI
Ohe'o Gulch
Ohe'o Gulch
604 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
20,264 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with 4 day Itinerary

There are clean restrooms at Whaler's Village. You can hose off at the beach (I always rinse my hair and apply a tiny bit of conditioner to leave in). Then change in the restroom at Whaler's Village shopping center. It is well lit and you can apply makeup there, too.

I agree with Susan's day 1 advice. You will be tired; enjoy a beach and a nap in the afternoon. Get your snorkel gear that afternoon.

Doesn't Trilogy have a boat that goes to Honolua Bay? I would go there for a snorkel rather than Molokini. If you are going to the Big Island after Maui, go to Kealakekua Bay on the Fair Winds boat; the snorkeling there should not be missed. Although you can drive to Honolua Bay yourself then walk down to the entrance, it is very rocky and an uncomfortable water entry. The Trilogy boat was moored right near the best snorkeling there and the passengers looked like they were having a great time. I imagine the boat ride there is lovely, too.

Mentioned in this post
Honolua Bay
Honolua Bay
729 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kealakekua Bay
Kealakekua Bay
689 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,907 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with 4 day Itinerary

Save Haleakala for the afternoon. You don't want to attempt sunrise with no sleep!

Mentioned in this post
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,723 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with 4 day Itinerary

As much as I love snorkeling Molokini, since you are going to the island of Hawaii, I would skip this and do more shore snorkeling instead.

You will have to leave Kihei at least 2 hours before the sunrise, so that is a very early start after a day of travel. Just keep that in mind.

There are a few restaurants in Hana but you really should be on the road back towards Kahului well before dinner time. No later than 4:00pm is wise. Do go past Oheo Gulch to the Kipahulu area where you will find the best waterfalls and Lindbergh's grave.

I would head to Kihei from the airport after arrival. It's only a half an hour drive, maximum, and Kihei has restaurants that will be open until at least 10:00-11:00pm.

Be flexible about where you snorkel. Ocean conditions will dictate where the best areas will be on any given day.

Mentioned in this post
Ohe'o Gulch
Ohe'o Gulch
604 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,723 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with 4 day Itinerary

If you go to the summit of Haleakala and then to Oheo Gulch within 3 days of each other you only have to pay the National Park fee once. Keep your receipt.

Mentioned in this post
Ohe'o Gulch
Ohe'o Gulch
604 Reviews
Maui, HI
Level Contributor
37,541 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with 4 day Itinerary

There is a nice restaurant at Travessa in Hana. This is a beautiful property in a gorgeous setting.

Aloha and enjoy your time on Maui! :)

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with 4 day Itinerary

It may not make a difference in your plans, but I don't think you factored in the time change, because SEA - OGG is a 6 hour flight. So when you arrive in Kahului at 8:15pm local time, your body will be telling you it's 10:15pm. Adding another couple hours to pick up the car, drive to Kihei, have dinner and check into you hotel makes for a really long day. What time do you need to get up the next morning to arrive at Haleakala by 6:00am?

Mentioned in this post
8. Re: Help with 4 day Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 06:16