We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day Itinerary - please help??

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
4 day Itinerary - please help??

My husband and I will be in Maui for 4 nights mid April.

There is possibility of leaving one day later but that would mean only 4 days in Kauai.

We want to make sure we do not drive to Hana in rainy weather

If weather does not cooperate I understand we may have to move things around.

Day 1 - Land at noon and spend afternoon - Iao valley and drive to hotel (west or south maui)

Day 2 - North shore sights (Napili and Kapalua)

Day 3 - Haleakala

Day 2 or Day 3 - Molokini snorkel trip in morning

Day 4 - Road to Hana area and return if we cannot find an affordable place to stay in Hana (recommend a place??)

Day 5 - Drive to airport from Hana area or west/south to catch noon flight to Kauai

I have few quick questions.

Am I missing any must-see sights completely? Should we stay one more day for this?

Should we even try to stay in Hana for a night?

Having to stay there is great but it takes away flexibility. We would have to drive on the day we have a stay there.

If we stay on west or south Maui, we can always switch any of the activities.

Should we do the Molokini trip on Day 2 (North shore sight seeing) or Day 3 (Haleakala)?

Where should we stay - West or South Maui. I am leaning towards Kihei because we can catch the Molokini trip in morning easily.

Can you recommend any condos or hotels? Our budget is maximum of 130 before taxes.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Napili Beach
Napili Beach
2,389 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,057 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day Itinerary - please help??

Day 1 - go straight to your hotel. Don't drive around alot with your luggage in the car. If your room isn't ready - check your bags at the hotel and then go get lunch.

Day 2 - Unless you are planning all day at the beach snorkeling ... this doesn't have to take all day ... except we don't know where you are staying. Hmmmm. If you are coming up from South Maui - stop in Lahaina for a while.

Day 3 - Haleakala when? What time of day? Add Iao Valley? Other Up Country sites?

Day 2 or Day 3 - At does depend on where you are staying. I wouldn't bother with Molokini from West Maui. Look at catamaran sails that are closer to you - or take a sail to Lanai.

Day 4 - Hana is a tiny town. Not much there. The Road itself is the attraction - not necessily Hana. I would not fake it. If you want to stay in Hana - reserve your accomodations in advance. You won't find alot of options.

That is a very low budget - so Kihei is probably your best bet.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Iao Valley
Iao Valley
97 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,971 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day Itinerary - please help??

That budget is low even for Kihei. You will have to be doing a lot of searching if you want to find anything close to that price. The Hana Hwy winds through a rain forest, chance of NOT having rain is slim to none, especially since you are coming during the rainy season.

Most of the activities you have listed are closer to south Maui than west/north Maui.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,900 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 day Itinerary - please help??

Are you going to be on another island? Or coming to Maui just for 4 nights? :)

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,900 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 day Itinerary - please help??

This B&B fits your budget and it appears to have availability:

http://www.mauibednbreakfast.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,086 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 day Itinerary - please help??

Rachel....your accomodation budget is really light. You are really narrowing down your options of places to stay.

As msfuzz says, you can pretty much plan on getting some rain on the way down to Hana.

You have got lots of stuff planned...make sure that you plan on some time for just chillin'...

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
LA
Level Contributor
11,226 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 day Itinerary - please help??

That is really low for an accomodation unless it is a room in someone's house.

You need to make a reservation in Hana if you intend to stay there. Not much availability and nothing that is just a single-night walk up type place. Most places have two night minimums.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 day Itinerary - please help??

Thanks everyone for the tips.

@coalminer - we are flying to Kaiaui on Day 5 noon flight. That flight can be changed by a day to Day 6 but would reduce number of days in Kauai from 4 and an afternoon to 3 and an afternoon.

Yes the budget seem to be low.

So far I only found

Days inn, Aston Maui Lu, Maui Beach hotel and Maui seaside hotel all 2 start hotels which would be just enough to sleep.

Maui sun coast and Maui Banyan are are available.

I also found Napili sunset for 135 but it probably is small studio but locations seems great right on Napili beach

http://www.napilisunset.com

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Maui Beach Hotel
Maui Beach Hotel
597 Reviews
Maui, HI
Napili Beach
Napili Beach
2,389 Reviews
Maui, HI
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,900 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 day Itinerary - please help??

What are your exact dates Rachel? That would help - presume you have been checking on vrbo? :) gee - I wouldn't short Kauai if you can. :)

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,947 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 day Itinerary - please help??

Your nightly budget is too low, you have too much you are trying to pack into your visit and, IF, you can a one night stay in Hana I would never try to be back to the airport by 10 am!

Sorry, my dear, not trying to be negative...just honest! Please step back and rethink and make your trip more memorable!

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Level Contributor
413 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 day Itinerary - please help??

Hey Rachel, try searching kahana area for condo, we get one in your budget at kahana reef. You could snorkel at Kapalua and black rock while enjoying the beaches at same time. Hana is like 12 hours, we did small bus tour that was awesome and brings you upcountry too.

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI