We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring 2014 date choices

Batavia, Illinois
10 posts
Save Topic
Spring 2014 date choices

We were thinking about a family trip to Maui next spring -- either over spring break or right after school is out at the end of May. Our date options would either be March 28-April 4 or May 23-30, 2014. If we go in May, we could possibly extend a couple of days, but I'm wondering if airfares are higher around Memorial Day?? From a cost perspective only -- for flights, condo and rental car -- which dates would you pick? I figure weather would be about the same either way, but missing out on whales in May would be one negative for that timeframe.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,936 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring 2014 date choices

Gut tells me March as Spring Break for US kids are more spread out than Memorial Day. I am going to Kauai in March and there was a definite bump in the prices during those weeks in March-April. Have you plugged in the numbers on Kayak or other search engines?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,845 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring 2014 date choices

Air fares probably will get higher towards the end of May. May will be a bit warmer and drier. I'd pick the March dates, those whales are just awesome!!

Level Contributor
404 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring 2014 date choices

I am in Chicago and have gone march, April and may. If you keep shopping early on trip advisor you can probably get good rates ( airfare) any of the months.Prices for lodging run the gambit depending on what type of property you want to stay at . We now just rent beachfront condo, instead of the huge money onresorts.I would go when you can stay the longest, as it's just so amazing there. We go for two weeks now

Edited: 24 January 2013, 01:47
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
625 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring 2014 date choices

I would think it would be more expensive around spring break - we got really good fares out of Sacramento for May 24-June 2 - we purchased them right around Thanksgiving. - But oh the whales!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,684 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring 2014 date choices

Love me my whales, but if you can add a few days in late May, do it! I'm sorry but spring break on Maui, which seems to be most of March, is a little nuts!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring 2014 date choices

I have been to Hawaii in march and may I loved the whales but I would pick may.

Accommodations in may will be cheaper and as far as flights who knows they seem to be expensive anytime now.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
681 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring 2014 date choices

We go to Hawaii in late May and love it! I got "value" rates at Honua Kai for this May. $375 per night, 7th floor ocean view, 2 bedroom. We could never afford to fly out of Anchorage at spring break so May is are next best option.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring 2014 date choices

I'm trying to plan a trip in March-April 2014 but most airlines don't have their schedules/prices up yet. Any idea how early I can start shopping for flights to Maui? My preferred airline is Alaska.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
446 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring 2014 date choices

your condo prices will drop to low-season rates as of mid-April as you enter low-season.

Edited: 24 January 2013, 06:32
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
60,016 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spring 2014 date choices

Aloha,

May is great, despite no whales. The summer crowds don't really pick up until mid to third week of June.

Adam-airlines won't publish their rates more than 330 days out (from your dates). So you need to wait a while!