We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Day 8 and Slack Key Guitar Show

Minnesota
Level Contributor
85 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Day 8 and Slack Key Guitar Show

After baking a pineapple upside down cake on Monday, we have decided it is the perfect breakfast---fruit, sweet pastry and dairy product (whipped cream)! Or as DH says, we have to eat it up before it goes bad. Soooo, sitting on the lanai eating cake, we saw whales quite a ways out but in much closer, we saw dolphins. So many of them and some were actually jumping out of the water.

The highlight of the trip so far has been the Slack Key Guitar Show we saw last night. Even though the doors weren't supposed to open until 6:45 pm, they opened at 6:30 pm.

Then the magic began: First on the stage were George Kahumoku, Jr. and Joel Katz on steel guitar. Their music together was beautiful and exactly how you feel on Maui.

Next up were Jeff Peterson and Nathan Aweau on bass guitar and as wonderful as George and Joel were, Jeff and Nathan brought entertaining to a whole new height. Listening to their cds, you cannot even imagine the way they utilize the whole guitar. How very lucky we were to see these two perform together. They have a new CD out that is available in Japan only at this time and had only 10 copies at the show. The title is MAMO and as soon as it is released in the US, I will get it. Nathan had just flown back from Washington, DC where he had performed at an inaugural ball.

After a short intermission, the entire stage was filled with musicians--George, Joe, Nathan, Jeff, Garrett Probst and Sterling Seaton jamming together. How did we get so lucky?? Just watching all the talent on the stage was enough to give you goosebumps.

This night has definiately been the best of our trip here so far and I can't imagine anything else topping it but then again, we are on Maui and the joy and magic of this island is amazing.

If you have the opportunity,don't miss the Slack Key Guitar Show, I know it will be wonderful but I don't think you would be able to match the night there we just had. Mary

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Day 8 and Slack Key Guitar Show

YES! I think I have been to a dozen or more of these Slack Key concerts. Can't think of a nicer way to spend an evening. I have all their CDs. I was there back when the Ukelele Boys were actually "boys!" So glad that Geo had Joel with him. Excellent.

Jeff Peterson is an absolute favorite of mine. We saw him steal the show from Amy Hānaiali'i Gilliom here in California one cold and magical night.

California
Level Contributor
391 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Day 8 and Slack Key Guitar Show

Sounds like a great time - where is the show held?

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,816 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Day 8 and Slack Key Guitar Show

Zack - the show is at the Napili Kai Resort. The venue is nothing fancy, but for entertainment value, the show is second to none!

So glad you got to the show tripmp. Gosh, pineapple upside-down cake, dolphins, whales, and a slack-ke concert all in one day. That's some serious vacation memories :-)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Day 8 and Slack Key Guitar Show

http://www.slackkeyshow.com/

Skip the dinner, Zack. Maybe get there early for a picnic on the beach.

California
Level Contributor
391 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Day 8 and Slack Key Guitar Show

Love the picnic idea!

Quivering with excitement - less than 240 hours to go!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,630 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Day 8 and Slack Key Guitar Show

How awesome for you. Glad you are having a wonderful time!!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
473 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Day 8 and Slack Key Guitar Show

Thank you!! This is the recommendation I need to convince my DH we should see the Slack Key show.

I want to see it and he seems to have no interest. Reading your review should do the trick!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,113 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Day 8 and Slack Key Guitar Show

I had goosebumps myself reading about the music! Thanks for sharing your evening with us.

Did you use rum in the cake???

Level Contributor
410 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Day 8 and Slack Key Guitar Show

Thanks so much for this info. Will be there for my 3rd time in 3 years and am trying to do something new. This will be on my list now

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Day 8 and Slack Key Guitar Show

I had the same problem with DH years ago, thumper. Then ... he was hooked.