We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Semi-Solo Maui Trip Report

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
My Semi-Solo Maui Trip Report

I am here on Maui with a good friend, her daughter, & daughter's SO. We booked the same flights and are spending a good deal of time together, however I have my own sweet little 1 bedroom condo at Maalaea Yacht Marina and they are just up the road in a nice 2 bedroom unit at Kanai A Nalu.

We had a non-stop on Alaska Air. Bad news: very bumpy for the first 90 minutes with no in-flight service. Good news: empty seat between us and on-time arrival. We had both reserved cars with Discount Hawaii, however theirs was with Alamo and mine Thrifty. I went to the Blue Chip line for immediate, impressive service. Told the rep I needed something easy to get in and out of due to a bad knee. She checked, recommended a Nissan Versa, and even drove it around front for me. Nice little car!

Opened the door to my condo and very happy to see it exactly as pictured: www.vrbo.com/376783

Excellent value at $140 per night. I'm a frequent island visitor, but even in my budget price range I am picky. This condo has plush, comfy furniture inside and on the lanai, good light for reading, stunning artwork, and a pleasant view. I ran through my initial checklist: instructions for TV (check), wine opener (check), plunger (check)..and lots more including travel mugs for coffee.

Thanks to a nice welcome packet of fruit and goodies there was no need to rush off to the store. Had a light meal at Beach Bums at Maalaea Harbor, enjoying the live music and twilight view of boats coming and going.

My best advice (which I often fail to remember) is not to stress in advance about the weather. Last week the forums were talking about strong winds and so much ocean chop that it was hard to see the whales. This week (so far) the winds have been very, very light..even here in Maalaea which is normally one of the windiest spots on the island. The temp is perfect. They say a change is coming, but we will worry about that later and have a few "rainy day" ideas in mind.

I couldn't wait to jump in the sparkling pool. OOPS! Solar heating system is not working and pool is frigid. I am not a wimp when it comes to cool water, but this is beyond cold. Luckily, the pool at Kanai a Nalu is heated so I spend a lot of time on the lovely lawn there with my friends, dipping first in the ocean and then the pool. We talk about doing many things, but it is hard to beat just relaxing, reading, swimming, and lifting our heads now and then to see if there are any whales cavorting around.

I do have a couple of activities to report on, but will add those in another post later in the day. Time soon to head to Upcountry.

LA
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: My Semi-Solo Maui Trip Report

I'm going to assume a plunger is related to coffee, not the toilet?

Level Contributor
35,969 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Semi-Solo Maui Trip Report

Glad you found a warm pool, one of our favorite things to do on Maui is relax by the pool and swim. Aloha and thanks for the report! :)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,888 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Semi-Solo Maui Trip Report

Oh goodie! I have another ride along!!! No pressure from me though.

Hope your knee improves before too long. I am going to assume I won't be reading about the Waihee Ridge Trail in any of your reports.

Hope you have a wonderful day Upcountry.

PareoB, the toilet was my first thought too ;o)

Edited: 26 January 2013, 17:17
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Semi-Solo Maui Trip Report

No...I mean a toilet plunger. LOL. Some of the septic system plumbing is pretty weak!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,888 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Semi-Solo Maui Trip Report

Gosh Barb, is that just in Maalaea area, or have you stayed in this building before???

Actually, when we had our kids in Waikiki in 2007, we had to call the front desk for a plunger, the toilet variety. Some pretty tense moments waiting for them to get there!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Semi-Solo Maui Trip Report

Joan,

Actually, I have never had a problem in Maalaea or anywhere on Maui. But a late nigtht experience like yours elsewhere a few years ago was not pleasant. I like to know the "tool" is available in the unit so I don't need to call the office!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,466 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Semi-Solo Maui Trip Report

Looking forward to following along on your trip! Enjoy

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,138 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Semi-Solo Maui Trip Report

How nice to have friends there but also have your freedom, too. I love the sound of your condo. Looking forward to enjoying Maui through your words.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: My Semi-Solo Maui Trip Report

I'm looking towards reading your trip reports. I looked at that exact condo when I was looking for just my husband and myself...my sister and brother in law are coming now as well so have decided on this one at the Lauloa. http://www.vrbo.com/6636 we are going January next year..hoping to get booking details settled next week....I really believe Maalaea will be a good fit for us.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Semi-Solo Maui Trip Report

Keeping a plunger by our toilets at our rental condos is a must do. Sounds gross, but you would be surprised what people throw down the sewer lines.

Glad you are a well seasoned traveler and having a blast on Maui - not too hard to have fun on Maui!

-Matt