We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brian & Teri's Next Best Maui Trip Yet 2013

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,829 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Brian & Teri's Next Best Maui Trip Yet 2013

The Long and Short of It - You can wade through the whole long story of each day with me as I relive our memories, or skip to the take-away at the end if you prefer the short of it. Here goes...

Friday 1/11/13

5:20 PM Hawaiian Standard Time

Ahh.... we stepped off the plane and into the warm embrace of Maui air. "Honey....we're home..."

And Maui is our dream home, our heart home. We hope and plan that one day, we may be able to live here for more than 9-10 days a year! For now though, this is our 7th Hawai'i trip in 10 years, 6th to Maui.

"We" are Brian and Teri, celebrating our 30th anniversary together. And in the last year and a half I've become a Maui TA forum addict, so if you are too, we are already friends! Aloha to my TA friends, old and new.

I love all of the live trip reports here. Czar, yours, as last year, are taking me right back to Maui. Deb, "Letsgotohawaiiasap," I'm loving going along on your Kauai trip too. And so many more, so much fun! Thank you!

So I feel like I must explain that I promised my terrific husband to spend our time together on this trip enjoying Maui, rather than enjoying the Maui forum! I vowed to let my mantra be, "be here now", and soak up every bit of Maui magic to take back home with us. Now, after all that explanation, I'm ready to start sharing our trip with you. As much as I try to edit, it will be long!

It had been a very long travel day. We got up at 3:00am CST, and really could have slept in another hour for a flight so early- 5:50am, they didn't even open security until 5AM. We had smooth travels on United, CID/ ORD /SAN/OGG. It wasn't our preferred itinerary, but we did get a great price on the tickets. We arrived about half hour early. I love arriving in daylight to the spectacular views of the island.

We flew carry-on only, so  we went straight to Hertz shuttle. No line, but our reserved Mustang convertible was not available. So we had to wait fifteen minutes. That gave me a chance to change into sandals and something tropical! It was worth the wait. We got a new Volvo convertible instead. Nice!

The drive to Lahaina along the rocky coastline with the setting sun was spectacular as always. Those views are etched into a corner of my heart. We arrived to clear night sky and a gazillion silver stars. And we were EXHAUSTED!

We had rented a condo in Lahaina town at Lahaina Shores for the first 4 nights of our trip. The historic resort seemed a little disappointing after the new luxury at Honua Kai where we stayed last year.  In the dark, LS's charms were not so apparent. But we had lot's of space and a very comfy king sized bed - hooray!

We walked next door to Betty's Beach Cafe, ordered ceviche and drinks. We really like the tiki style ambiance and the ceviche. The other food is not great. They were out of mint for my mojito, the waitress was not very helpful or friendly. Other staff, however were great! We watched the show at Feast at Lele. We arrived about half way through and had a good view from Betty's open "window"seat. After that we took a quiet stroll along the beach, our bare feet in the gentle foamy surf.

We walked back to the condo and fell into bed. We were too tired to even think of the days ahead, but we knew it was all good. The past weeks' stresses of family holidays, work and the long trip had floated away on our Maui dreams, once again coming true.

The Take-Away-

1. If you are taking the first flight out in the morning at a small airport, you probably don't need to be there 2 hours early.

2. Arrive before sunset if you can, to enjoy the gorgeous views from the air and on your drive "home". And Do embrace Maui as "home" while you are here.

3. If you go Betty's, just have the ceviche and drinks. And you can enjoy a great view of the Feast at Lele show from Betty's!

4. Soak up the Maui magic every minute you are there!

Edited: 27 January 2013, 05:09
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,774 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brian & Teri's Next Best Maui Trip Yet 2013

So, I guess you have caught up on all the laundry!

Brian is a very smart man... glad you enjoyed Maui while there. I shall be looking forward to the next installment to see where your nice convertible took you!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brian & Teri's Next Best Maui Trip Yet 2013

Quite a helpful narrative, especially the take-aways. Sure will look forward to your next musings.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brian & Teri's Next Best Maui Trip Yet 2013

Oh Teri.........I have been looking forward to your trip report and you have such good timing! We just arrived home an hour ago and I too wound up to sleep, so my go to is TA and I see I have not missed your reports. I would have dug back through threads to find them! I am so glad that so far your trip is good. It is fun to pretend to live in paradise while we are there. Looking forward to more.....Deb

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,829 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brian & Teri's Next Best Maui Trip Yet 2013

Joan, I'm still doing laundry... as I type, I am also hanging up delicates! I got back to work to find my boss came in that morning just to catch me up on things and then go home sick for several days! Poor thing - I think she should have stayed home before that too. So I had a busy week at work, and was just exhausted after the long trip home - almost 20 hours all together, over night with seats that didn't recline - yikes! So... the the trip report waited until I was rested and ready! On day two, coming up, we say hello to the whales for you and Dave!

Almostgrownup, thanks! Even though my reports aren't in "real time" I plan to relive our trip through them, so this will still take several days.

Deb, your Kauai trip sounds so wonderful, I know we must get there soon! I just want to do it in the summer, but it sounds you had beautiful weather. Hope you get some rest before it's back to work!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brian & Teri's Next Best Maui Trip Yet 2013

Teri enjoyed reading your report. So excited as we leave in April and from your reports and others I have learned so much. I can feel the island breeze now!!!!!

Iowa
Level Contributor
50 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brian & Teri's Next Best Maui Trip Yet 2013

Thanks for the take-aways! We are leaving out of CID for Maui in March and wasn't too sure when to get there. Will be a long day of travel but well worth it.

Saskatoon...
Level Contributor
753 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brian & Teri's Next Best Maui Trip Yet 2013

Great report Teri! I totally agree about arriving during the day (we have only done so once but it is definately our preferance).

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brian & Teri's Next Best Maui Trip Yet 2013

Yay Teri , can't wait to hear more of your TR...I still haven't posted mine yet for Kauai...I've been too busy ready Deb's!

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,829 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brian & Teri's Next Best Maui Trip Yet 2013

Canadasunny, jlbtg, prairie girl and mickeymoo - thanks for reading! Our next day is coming up, and it's long! I'll be looking for reports from all of you too!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,916 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brian & Teri's Next Best Maui Trip Yet 2013

Teri, so glad to hear you are rested and are now ready to write your report. Thanks!!