We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Maui

I have never been to maui before and was wandering which would be the best area to stay in. I will be visiting by myself and although I like the peace and quiet, i don't want to feel too isolated.

Thanks

Julie

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,793 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui

Time of year and what your budget is for nightly accommodations would be really helpful for us to help you.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,491 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui

Lahaina/Ka'anapali area is the liveliest to me on Maui. :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui

Hi

I would like to go mid January 2014. I can only afford $110.00 aud per night.

Would like to go for 10 days.

Kind regards

Julie.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
895 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui

Since the exchange rate between AUD and US dollar is close to even, correct?, this will be tough in January, high season for the Hawaiian Islands. Are you renting a car? Is the 110 AUD before adding tax? One advantage you do have for this expensive time is that you'll be booking early which is much better than booking last minute. With a little more information such as what you hope to see/do during your visit as well why you want Maui, as opposed to possibly another island which may be more economical, it will be easier to start giving possible suggestions.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui

Check out vrbo.com (vacation rental by owner). Especially in the Kihei area which is less expensive. We enjoyed staying in Kihei. On one trip, we stayed 1/2 the time in Kihei and 1/2 the time on Kaanapali Beach. Enjoy your trip!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui

Kihei is definitely one of the cheapest areas on the island to stay but that isn't a bad thing. We stayed at the Maui Coast Hotel in Kihei and it was a lot cheaper than most hotels especially the resorts in Kaanapali and it was an awesome stay. I can't exactly remember how much we paid a night but it was $100 +. We booked a regular room but got a free upgrade to a one bedroom suite which was amazing. I think we made out a lot better than the people that stay in the resorts. Kihei is also closer to everything being in the middle south of the island.

Edited: 17 June 2013, 03:08
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui

Kihei is definitely one of the cheapest areas on the island to stay but that isn't a bad thing. We stayed at the Maui Coast Hotel in Kihei and it was a lot cheaper than most hotels especially the resorts in Kaanapali and it was an awesome stay. I can't exactly remember how much we paid a night but it was $100 +. We booked a regular room but got a free upgrade to a one bedroom suite which was amazing. I think we made out a lot better than the people that stayed in the resorts paying an arm and a leg for just a standard room. Kihei is also closer to everything being in the middle south of the island.

Edited: 17 June 2013, 03:09
8. Re: Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2014, 06:17