We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OMG, I am in heaven

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
OMG, I am in heaven

My husband was talking to his Mom. She was widowed last month. Took care of father in law for years and years. Dh asked her if there was a trip she would love to do before her health declines. She said Hawaii. My husband told her I would be so happy to go with her so guess what? The 2 of us are going to go this summer. I have been 2 times, but not in several years. Hawaii if my favorite place to vacation. 2 weeks, 3 islands.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OMG, I am in heaven

Hawaii is one of the best places ever to help a person heal from losing a loved one. What a wonderful time you two ladies have ahead of you. Enjoy the planning for this special trip. My condolences to your family on the loss of your family member. The Hawaii forums are so helpful with planning island trips! Deb

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OMG, I am in heaven

Please handle with care. It's a natural reaction to think that a nice trip will help someone with the loss of a spouse. But it can be tough. Very tough.

Do you have to go in the middle of the summer - high season for families?

So sorry to hear about your father-in-law.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: OMG, I am in heaven

What a great trip to look forward too. Hawaii is a great place for healing. I went one month after losing my dear sister unexpectedly, and even though there were tears and sadness I could feel her presence.

May you have a wonderful blessed trip.

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OMG, I am in heaven

What a beautiful thing to do with your mother in law. And how lovely of your husband to arrange it. Blessings to you all.

Aloha

Teri

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: OMG, I am in heaven

My wife took care of her father for a long time before he passed. Nothing cured her of HER ills better than Maui.

There are more children in summer. I'd see that as a positive as opposed to the gentrified late winter months.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,127 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OMG, I am in heaven

Some times a change of scenery is really helpful in the grieving and healing process, When my Dad died more than 30 years ago, we took my Mom with us to Victoria a few months later and she was able to relax, unwind and have fun for the first time.

She even had her first "adult beverage" (Spanish Coffee) on that trip and found an appreciation for travel, and good food (other than coffee shops) that she later explored further for 25 years with our new stepdad, who sadly also died just a couple years ago.

But she still talks about that trip and how much it helped her get back to the business of living. Mom's now almost 89, still drives and enjoys traveling.

Edited: 05 February 2013, 02:52
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OMG, I am in heaven

Sorry to hear of the lose of your father in law. A vacation with family especially after a lengthly condition can be a rejuvinating period for all involved. Sunshine can heal the soul inside and out and help a person see things in a different light. I say go for it, you only live once. Enjoy Heavan on earth :-)

coast
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: OMG, I am in heaven

Enjoy it all.

9. Re: OMG, I am in heaven

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2014, 07:15