We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What books are you bringing?

white rock bc
Level Contributor
531 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What books are you bringing?

I'm organizing for our vacation in a few weeks and need some ideas on some good reads. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance

Bellini

Pluto Highlands
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What books are you bringing?

I like the Oregon files from Clive Cussler, always action and takes you to a new destination every novel. love picking my books with differerant loctions that I haven't been yet. if you can find a copy of The Historian by Elizabeth Kostava you will be on a beutiful journey in many countries. this was her first book and done well.

Jack Reacher novels always entertain me but seeing Tom Cruise become Reacher doesnt work at all, author Lee Child. my fave authors are Doug Preston and Linchon Child and they colaborate to make some interesting reads.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What books are you bringing?

Anything by James Patterson....Stuart Woods...J.R. Ward...

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What books are you bringing?

My Kindle and will download whatever hits me at the time.

Always like light trash for beach reading.

Though last year in Barbados I made the mistake of reading Sarah's Key and was crying on the beach all day.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What books are you bringing?

I usually try to grab a book by Robert Wintner (aka Snorkel Bob Himself!). You can sometimes find them on Amazon or sometimes, at Snorkel Bob shops. They're a little over the top, but have local Hawaiian storylines and locations and are generally fun reads.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What books are you bringing?

Are you a "boy Bellini" or a girl Bellini?"

There are some great threads (if you are willing to patiently search the Island forums) on books that are based in Hawaii.

white rock bc
Level Contributor
531 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What books are you bringing?

I am a "girl" bellini. Thank you for your suggestions. Im looking for a book with buzz. Here in Canada at our Chapters/Indigo we have selections from the CEO called Heather's Choice. I have read most of her recommendations and was looking for something along those lines.

thanks again

Level Contributor
34,712 posts
891 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What books are you bringing?

I have been loving the novels by Julie Carobini. Chocolate Beach, Truffles by the Sea, etc. on my new Kindle Paperwhite. :)

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
134 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What books are you bringing?

I couldn't put down "Gone Girl"

It is not real beachy, but a good read.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What books are you bringing?

ADRIANA TRIGIANI - The Shoemaker's Daughter

You may be able to get your hands on books by Susanna Kearsley much easier in Canada than we can in the states. I generally get her books used on Amazon. All are great. The Winter Sea, Shadowy Horses and Mariana were my favorites. http://susannakearsley.com/

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,370 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What books are you bringing?

Some of the most enjoyable reads that are novels but about Hawaii are Alan Brennert's - Molokai and Honolulu - thoroughly enjoyed those!

I just started reading some of theTemperance Brennan series by Kathy Reichs . . . murder mysteries by a forensic anthropologist - series are set in US and Canada - interesting.

I always pack a few books for Hawaii, but don't tend to read as much except on plane flights. Happy reading! :)