We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for 1 week Maui vacation with 3 year old?

San Francisco...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestions for 1 week Maui vacation with 3 year old?

Hello, my husband and three-year-old son and I are planning a 1-week trip to Maui in early September. This will be our first vacation with your son (or at all), so we would like it to be enjoyable. We are planning a direct flight to minimize travel stress on our son.

I was wondering if anyone could provide us advice on:

(1) Where to stay

(2) Toddler-friendly outings

My son is not a big hiker (he can walk short distances only and then will ask us to carry him). He enjoys beaches (particularly playing in the sand rather than swimming), marine life and other animals. He is too little to snorkel or really even go in waves. Our budget is that of a middle-class family. We will likely rent a car, but proximity of activities is important to keep the little man happy.

Would appreciate any advice! We are considering a vacation rental rather than a hotel, but are considering both.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,093 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for 1 week Maui vacation with 3 year old?

Welcome to Trip Advisor JBL!

September is a nice time to go to Maui, as it is not quite so busy then, as a lot of kids head back to school. Direct flights are a great idea, and from the west coast, there should be lots to choose from for you.

There is a search engine at the top of this page. If you plunk in the words West Maui or South Maui, you will find a lot of threads that talk about which area is best to stay in while holidaying on Maui. We have stayed in the West twice, and the South twice. Every one will have their own opinion about which is best, and there are pros and cons to both sides. Quite frankly, for your first visit to Maui, I don't think it matters much which side you stay on... it's all good! Besides, even if you stay in West Maui, you'll probably spend a day going to South Maui area, and if you stay in South, you'll be wanting to spend time in West Maui as well. Nothing is very far in Maui!

Also, let us know what your nightly budget would be. That will help us a lot in helping you. There are condos and resorts. I'm a condo person all the way, as I like the extra room and being able to at least have breakfast on the lanai, and pack our picnic lunches easier.

As far as outings go, I'd be spending time at the beach! Get some sand toys, a camera, a good hat for the little guy that won't blow away, and lots of sunscreen.

The Maui Ocean Center may interest him. Iao Needle might be an option for you as the walks around there are not too long, and at least you and your husband would get to see some beautiful scenery and learn some history.

Baby Beach is in Lahaina, just south of the Mala Wharf. It is safe for little guys, and you may want to check it out regardless of where you end up staying.

VRBO is great for condo rentals. And there is ChasenRainbows for the West Maui area as well.

Have fun!

Edited: 07 February 2013, 06:47
Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
San Francisco...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for 1 week Maui vacation with 3 year old?

Dear Joan123,

Thank you very much for your suggestions and for your coaching on how to effectively use the search engine! We will definitely take your advice to heart.

California
Level Contributor
391 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for 1 week Maui vacation with 3 year old?

We have much in common my friend. Look for m posts in the coming days, PM me if you have questions. It's awesome here and you're gonna love it.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for 1 week Maui vacation with 3 year old?

Maui Ocean Center for sure! I don't have kids but saw a lot of little ones thoroughly enjoying the place when we were there. There was a lot of giggling and excited jumping up and down on display!

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
496 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for 1 week Maui vacation with 3 year old?

consider getting a week's pass for the ocean center, if your 3 year old is like the ones I know, he won't last more than an hour. That way you can come back again.

go check out La Perousse Bay, the old lava fields... when our kids were little, they loved walking around, throwing rocks (and there are many rocks to be thrown). It's a really neat thing to see...

also the Sugar Cane Train in Lahaina - thought our kids always preferred playing on the stationary (free) train to going on the long train ride (they'd be bored after about 5 minutes).

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,093 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for 1 week Maui vacation with 3 year old?

JBL, I was on trip advisor for months and months, and didn't even know that space existed! There is a wealth of information on these pages, at the top, to the left, to the right. It is a lot to take in for a "newbie", and can be overwhelming.

But don't ever hesitate to ask!

7. Re: Suggestions for 1 week Maui vacation with 3 year old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2014, 05:16