We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we drive to? Where to hike?

northwest
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Where should we drive to? Where to hike?

We are so excited with our trip being so close now. We are staying at the Whaler and will have a car. Where should we plan on driving to? We have ruled out the road to Hana due to time and my husband gets car sick easy but want to get out and drive around to see lots. I know there must be areas you love so please share. We would like to get up mornings and go do some hiking nothing really super strenuous but we are active so it can have some elevation.

Thanks much!! 3 weeks untill we go!!

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,554 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we drive to? Where to hike?

Don't miss the Kapalua Coastal Trail - stunning! There is so much more in Kapalua too. Be sure to visit this area just a bit north of Ka'anapali, but so different.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should we drive to? Where to hike?

Drive down to LaPerouse Bay. Site of the last lava flow on Maui. The stark black lava against the crystal blue ocean is amazing!!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,457 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should we drive to? Where to hike?

Do you have a guidebook about Maui? It would help a lot, especially because we don't know what your likes and dislikes are. If you are staying at a condo, they usually have plenty of books and maps there, but I like to have a rough outline so I buy my own. My husband reads it on the plane ride to the place we are visiting.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,410 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should we drive to? Where to hike?

I was going to suggest the Waihee Ridge Trail, but I am not sure now because of the "strenuous" comment. I can say the beginning/end part is the hardest, only because it is concrete and steep. Zigzagging back and forth over it is better for the knees! It isn't super strenuous either. I am in my late fifties and I did it in May of last year. Amazing views from the top. Actually, you get amazing views all the way up if you stop and turn around once in a while. We took an hour and fifteen to go all the way up, an hour to come down.

The Kapalua Coastal Trail that Teri mentions is just one of many in the area. You can actually get a shuttle bus up to the top, and then walk down. Use the link below for more information.

http://kapalua.com/activities/hiking-trails

You can't just show up for the shuttle though... phone ahead!

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should we drive to? Where to hike?

""Drive down to LaPerouse Bay. Site of the last lava flow on Maui""

And walk the trail (with others) as far S as you feel comfortable with. There are many coves and views along the way. If you make it a mile or so, you'll likely see wild goats. It's a real contrast to the Waihee trail recommended earlier, which I would also recommend if you don't mind some elevation gain.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should we drive to? Where to hike?

We're big fans of the Kapalua trails, both coastal and the old golf course. If you go there, be sure to print out the trail maps at home because they do not provide any at the site.

The drive from the Whaler to Kapalua is quick and you can be strolling in no time!

J J
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should we drive to? Where to hike?

A guided hike with Hike Maui is recommended. You can do an East Maui rainforest waterfalls hike, a Haleakala hike or a West Maui custom hike. There is a full day Hana trip, but I see you've ruled that out. Resort pickup/drop off is available if you don't want to meet the van in Kahului. Going out with an experienced guide and cutting out the trial and error is a great way to make the most of your limited time, and you'll know exactly where you're going and what you're looking at. Whatever you decided to do, have a great time on Maui!

Michigan
Level Contributor
116 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where should we drive to? Where to hike?

We have enjoyed the Lahaina Pali trail. Unfortunately it is 5 miles one way and if you don't have 2 cars it is 5 miles back. We have done both halves and really enjoy the side that starts closer to Lahaina, especially during whale season. From this vantage point you can see the a lot of whale activity so bring binoculars.

mauiguidebook.com/hikes/lahaina-pali-trail/

9. Re: Where should we drive to? Where to hike?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2014, 06:17