We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duke's, Kimo's or Hula Grill?

Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
295 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Duke's, Kimo's or Hula Grill?

I know that Duke's Beachhouse, Kimo's, and Hula Gill are all part of the TS Group.

Which one has the most tables with a good view and how likely are we to be able to get one with a reservation?

Which one of the three has the best quality food?

Which one of the three has the nicest atmosphere/is the least noisy? We are interested in a pleasant dinner -- not a busy bar scene.

Are there other factors that make one of them better than the others?

We will be staying at the Sheraton but will have a car.

Thanks.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
65,771 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duke's, Kimo's or Hula Grill?

Aloha,

I'd skip all 3 and go to Pacific O instead.

To me, each of the three you named are middle level restaurants and yet high priced.

Hula Grill will be a little more 'fusion' than the other two, since it's not totally owned by TS, still has some outside influence. Kimo's and Duke's will be pretty similar.

The inside dining room at Hula Grill will be more quiet than the outer (Barefoot Bar) area, but also not much view from there. Duke's view disappears at sunset, but the inside main area is nice. Kimo's upstairs has some great views--but can get noise from below and next door.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
625 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duke's, Kimo's or Hula Grill?

I thought Dukes was way better than Kimo's however we had the Hula Pie at Kimo's and that made up for the lack luster food. We did not eat at Hula Grill as we liked the menu better at Lelani's so ate there instead and were not disappointed.

Edited: 10 February 2013, 23:54
Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
295 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duke's, Kimo's or Hula Grill?

The reason we are interested in trying a TS restaurant is that we have one near our house that has good food and good views.

Although the three I mentioned on Maui are not inexpensive, they are less expensive than the top tier restaurants on the island. Also, we enjoyed a Duke's on another island during a previous vacation.

We will go to one or two more expensive restaurants as well.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duke's, Kimo's or Hula Grill?

>>I'd skip all 3 and go to Pacific O instead.<<

Couldn't agree more-Pacific O and its sister IO are very different from the three you mentioned. The view is spectacular, you sit almost at the beach, unobstructed view, great service,fine oraganic, their own farm grown produce.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,115 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duke's, Kimo's or Hula Grill?

Well -- you left out my favorite TS for dinner - Leilani's. Did you intend to? It meets all your criteria!

http://www.leilanis.com/

And since you are so close to Whaler's Village - Hula Grill's outdoor seating is wonderful for lunch or a lighter dinner.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,889 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duke's, Kimo's or Hula Grill?

I kind of agree with looking at other spots, but without knowing your full dining line-up it is hard to give a solid recommendation.

I like TS Restaurants and hit Jake's (Del Mar) and Sandy's (Huntington) on a regular basis because we know what to expect, like the setting and experience.

I think Hula Grill & Leilani's have the best settings, Hula Grill might have the best food of them all, but we tend to do lunches at TS places more than dinner or big lunches some place else and then Aloha Hour or Pupus in the bars at the TS places..... just as long as we can get Hula Pie in the end.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
65,771 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duke's, Kimo's or Hula Grill?

Aloha,

Mark, if you are remembering the salad bar at the other Duke's--know that the Maui operation does not have a salad bar.

Pacific O and Hula Grill's dining room will be very close in price, Kimo's and leilani's dining rooms only a few bucks less.

Level Contributor
413 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duke's, Kimo's or Hula Grill?

I agree with BLBL, we had great experience at Leilani's, for dinner. Did Hula for lunch was good, but tried to walk in on Dukes one night, 2 hour wait , ahhh no. And night has nothing to look at, so headed down to Lahaina Grill, Mike

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Duke's, Kimo's or Hula Grill?

""Well -- you left out my favorite TS for dinner - Leilani's.""

Mine too. Keokis, on Kaua'i. It's always been a level higher than Dukes, Hula Grill, etc. But have never been unsatisfied at any of them. Just more happy at Keokis.

Loved I'o. Food was great. The service was as good as we've had just about anywhere in Hawai'i.

'Liked' the one time at Duke's, but the thought the view was great at sunset. What am I missing?

Edited: 11 February 2013, 02:08
Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
65,771 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duke's, Kimo's or Hula Grill?

Aloha,

Patrick, like I said, Duke's view disappears after sunset. Before hand and at sunset, yep, it's very nice! But I was trying to 'splain the 'evening hours view' for each.

Oh--re tables--all of the restaurants are pretty strict about first come, first choice for the best view tables.So make your rezzies for about 45 min. to an hour before sunset if you can, or at the first possible opening near that time frame.