We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airbnb.com

2 posts
Save Topic
Airbnb.com

Has Anyone used airbnb.com to look for a condo.

Elk Grove...
Level Contributor
36 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airbnb.com

I looked for condos on Airbnb but ended up booking through VBRO.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airbnb.com

Airbnb.com is a dangerous and will keep your money

…wordpress.com/2013/…

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,122 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airbnb.com

And the fact that listings are sometimes not legal (which is the case here in Santa Monica), I'd avoid Airbnb. Better to use vrbo or HomeAway (they are owned by the same). There are also many on-island agencies that are very well regarded. I'm sure the folks who know the names of them will chime in!

Mission, Kansas
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airbnb.com

We used Sullivans for our condo and someone on here raved about how ethical they were. We havent used them before and we are not getting our questions answered but I will try again.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,370 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airbnb.com

Aloha,

Can'tWait, do you mean your questions here on TA or questions you're asking your rental agency?

Mission, Kansas
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airbnb.com

Jet, Oh gosh, not on here, everyones great, I meant Sullivans. The condo we rented was for sale and had been taken off the market for a while leaving the details rather sparse on their site. So I have sent two different emails to the woman I reserved it with, who works at Sullivans,asking her questions about what is available and whats not. Not just silly things like spatualas but is there a safe? Beach towels, etc? Im not even sure there is a TV since the picture doesnt show one. lol. It looks really sparse but it was all the Maui Kai or Mahanna had left by the time we reserved.......FIVE months out! I havent heard a word from them since they took our credit card number so I am starting to get a tad worried. I will call them tomorrow so I can stop worrying.......or feel worse! Hope a phone call is more productive than unanswered emails.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,370 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airbnb.com

Aloha,

How long has it been? Sometimes things move more slowly over here, so if it's only a matter of days, I wouldn't worry just yet.

It's possible she's waiting for details to come in from the owner to answer your questions.

I think calling is a good idea, as that will hopefully get you the info you need and relieve your worry.

Is the property going to be off the market through the time of your stay? When is your visit?

Good luck with the call. Let us know if we can help.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,448 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airbnb.com

Cantwait- www.tripadvisor.com/members-forums/MauiN0KaOi Uses Sullivan I believe all the time. Send him a message if you are concerned

Yes... Airbnb is often not legal, but VRBO you also have to be careful sometimes and check it out as well.

Edited: 16 October 2013, 15:15
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airbnb.com

I just used airbnb for big island...will be there early dec

I'll definitely post a report.

I have always wanted to try it and figured for one night, traveling with my husband, it would be ok. We will see.

As for legal, I definitely wonder about that..

Also wonder if some airbnb rentals get in "under the radar" because room rentals aren't really regulated. (they may well be in Hawaii, but def not in other places...)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,448 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airbnb.com

There is a big national story right now on associated press where NY is going after Airbnb looking to get info on the renter because not legal and tax cheats.