We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare for October - Book immediately, or wait

Level Contributor
591 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare for October - Book immediately, or wait

So I've been watching airfare, and missed out on a good deal with Hawaiian because I thought it was too early. Now prices have jumped. My question is...with the uncertaintly of what March holds for our economic climate and the possibility of laying off 11,000 of FAA workers, will this automatically push prices up? I'm seeing a few direct flights for about $550 per person. Buy now?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare for October - Book immediately, or wait

I am going in Oct and booked my flight last week. With Maui growing in popularity, I am finding more flights book up further out than what it was like in the past few years.

Level Contributor
389 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare for October - Book immediately, or wait

Aloha, ya this ones tough. I seem to get the best rates about 5-6 months out, but it's crazy the way they keep changing. Out of Chicago I know $550 is a great price so I've been able to get it by constantly checking rates daily. Pick the range that you feel is good and just book it when it comes , Mike

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare for October - Book immediately, or wait

Prices for airline flights are such a crap shoot nowadays. I booked our Hawaiian Air flights from SFO to OGG in june last sept. because I had some air miles to use and they were only 17,500 each for the one leg and had enough for the three of us so only paid $300 each for the other leg. I haven't seen the !7,500 from SFO since then.

that left our flights from here to SFO and I have been seeing them in the $400 to $600 range since last year but monday I looked on Delta and they had them for $282 and good times too. I snapped them up especially since I had a companion certificate to use and enough pay with miles to get a $100 off the third one. Got all three fares for $546.

That's $1486 for us three in the summer from the east coast I am psyched.

It really pays to keep looking and be vigilant.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
385 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare for October - Book immediately, or wait

DW and I have flown to either Maui or Kauai several Octobers and are going again (anniversary) thisi Oct.

I have found a big price drop to the mid-300s at the end of August for October flights each time so far and it's my plan this year as well. Could backfire but oh well. The current $550 is not to bad though.

Cosmopolis, WA
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare for October - Book immediately, or wait

We have four of us flying from Portland, OR to Maui in April. What we did: Each of us (my wife and I) got Alaska Airlines credit cards. There is a $75/year charge for the card. With the Alaska card comes a $99 companion fare. So, for $175 (plus fees) you get your second person's airfare. With rates in the $500/person range, it was going to cost us $2000 for the four of us to fly. But instead, it was around $1400. Since we travel once a year, the card will pay for itself with the companion fare each year. I also learned that Mondays and Tuesday seemed to be the cheapest days to fly.

ETA: As I understand, the Hawaiian Air card gives you a companion fare of 50% off instead of $99 like Alaska does.

Edited: 21 February 2013, 23:11
Bowie, Maryland
Level Contributor
158 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare for October - Book immediately, or wait

I bought for Oct. 15, 2013 EWR (New Jersey) to HNL for $619 on a nonstop flight. United airlines. I combined ff miles on United for my ticket. So both of us go for $619. But then luggage and of course fell in love with the upgraded economy on the 13 hour flight so a bit more but I am pleased. This price was last week. Find a price you can live with and buy. Otherwise can drive yourself very crazy.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
389 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare for October - Book immediately, or wait

we are in the same boat here but going in november. condo booked now wondering when to book flights. i have been watching them for the past couple of months. i dont want to wait too long though and will probably book within the next month i think as soon as i see a "decent" fare. good luck!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfare for October - Book immediately, or wait

We're in the same boat! We are flying out of Denver, and the best airfare I've seen so far is upper $700's per person, I've been checking since before Christmas and it hasn't gone down since then at all. We are planning a September trip....I read an article saying airfare would be dropping in mid Feb, but it didn't as far as I can tell!

Roll Tide
Level Contributor
494 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfare for October - Book immediately, or wait

Alaska Air has a really nice Best Rate Guarantee.

If you book directly with them, and you notice a lower price ANYTIME up until your departure, they will refund or credit the difference.

alaskaair.com/content/…price-guarantee.aspx

Something to keep in mind if you are planning to fly with them...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airfare for October - Book immediately, or wait

We're facing a similar type of challenge, but leaving from Vancouver, BC, in November. Right now fares on WestJet are just under $2000 for two. Fares are about the same on Air Canada. That's not first class either, it's Coach. BUT, it does include one free bag.

It's so frustrating! I remember when booking early had its benefits and have booked early for about $800 for two. Now it seems like the airlines (in Canada not too sure what the US airlines practice is yet) try and get as much as they can out people before they might drop the price. It's a waiting game I guess. So much for being prepared and making plans well in advance.

I think we'll be looking to book Air Alaska out of Bellingham for our future Maui flights.