We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Mama's Fish House baby friendly?

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
490 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Is Mama's Fish House baby friendly?

My family will be heading to Maui towards the middle of April, this will be our third trip. My husband and I will be traveling with our 6 month old son as well as my parents and sister. We are considering dining at Mama's for dinner one night and I was wondering how "baby friendly" it is? We take him out to restaurants frequently as is as well behaved as an infant can be. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
50,994 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Mama's Fish House baby friendly?

Aloha,

If I recall correctly, you are staying at Honua Kai? If so--then I would not do Mama's for dinner with the baby.

Mama's will be about an hour and fifteen to thirty minutes drive time from HK, depending on traffic. Then add that the scenery at night is actually nowhere near as good as during the day. Then add the very costly meals. Add the long drive back in the dark. Nope.

If you *have* to go to Mama's, I'd suggest lunch.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,011 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Mama's Fish House baby friendly?

Well, I would suggest that your parents and sister spell you a night and look after the little one while you and significant other have a nice night out. Or a nice lunch out, considering swmarket's excellent advice. Alone time is so important; especially on vacation!

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
490 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Mama's Fish House baby friendly?

Thanks for the tips thus far. We are staying at Honua Kai and I figured it would be quite a haul to head that way for dinner. My mom is the one who is keen on dining at Mama's during this trip. I was just wanting some additional opinions.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,163 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Mama's Fish House baby friendly?

Why not let your Mom and Dad have a date night at Mama's?

I want to say this nicely, so I hope I can. Please don't bring your baby to Mama's Fish House.

Mama's is a very special place. It's all about the whole package. Most of the guests there are expecting a "perfect experience" for the $$$$$ that they are spending, and that is what Mama's usually delivers. Tables are somewhat close together and indoors at Mama's. If baby starts to get fussy, even if someone has to leave with him, you will not be able to avoid disturbing your neighbors dinner as well as your own.

I usually support bringing along the kids to dinner. I just think there are a few places where a baby isn't a good idea and Mama's is one. When our granddaughter was 4 months old we took her to Mala, Pacific'O, Old Lahaina Luau and lots of other places for dinner on Maui. She slept through everything! But we were mostly outdoors or at more casual places. And by the time she was 6 months old, she was so much more active that any kind of nice restaurant with her was out of the question.

These are only my experiences and opinions, but I do thank you for asking. I know you'll have a wonderful time on Maui!

Aloha

Teri

Edited: 24 February 2013, 22:44
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Mama's Fish House baby friendly?

Yes, Mama's is baby friendly. We went last year with another couple and their 5 month old daughter, and the restaurant was very accommodating. Strollers cannot be brought into the restaurant, but we were given a table right by the beach, with a highchair, and they also brought fresh poi for the baby. There is also a table in the ladies bathroom that worked well for diaper changes. My husband and I also take our young daughter to fine dining restaurants ( that's how I learned how to behave when I was growing up), and I think the key is just to go to an early dinner. Mama's is outstanding, but be sure to make a reservation several days in advance!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Mama's Fish House baby friendly?

I have zero problem with babies/infants coming to a fine dining restaurant, as long as the parents are willing to walk out with their babies if they need fresh air (getting fussy). In my experience, most babies are fine, but there are some families that just don't care about others, so making a huge mess and ignoring bad behavior and noise is no big deal to them. If I was at a restaurant and dropping $200, a screaming child would irk me to no end. I hope I don't sound like a curmudgeon,

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,004 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Mama's Fish House baby friendly?

I agree with some of the other posters in what they are saying...I have no problem with little ones in a restaurant as long as parents are prepared to leave if it goes bad. My girl as a toddler threw a fit once...I walked out with her and it never happened again. I do think it is rude when people let their babies cry or carry on- especially in fancy restaurants. My husband and I went to the Feast of Lele on our honeymoon and the parents put their toddler in the sand next to us! Not even as close to them...made for not so romantic time for us! My kids have gone to restaurants with us since they were little but they learned rules...no turning and staring at others, talk quiet etc...that is how they learn. I just think its important to make sure it isn't affecting others. Especially at Mama's prices!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,047 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Mama's Fish House baby friendly?

SW's advice to go for lunch instead of dinner bears repeating. Prices are slightly better, but the views are MUCH better.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Mama's Fish House baby friendly?

Dinner and lunch prices are the same, but the view is better at lunch.

Totally agree with the idea of being prepared to move the baby out of the dining area as often as needed if it's is a crier. But if it's a quiet baby, I can't see why it would be a problem.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Mama's Fish House baby friendly?

yeah, I think it's important to define "fussy" or "problem" the same way as the diners without children. Not the way you define it for yourselves, which is often to give it a chance to stop before you take action. Or maybe you say well this is as good as a baby can be, this is a normal level of noise.

I cannot stand it when parents stay in a theater or fine dining room and try to "shh, there there" the infant. If baby is fussing, it should be removed ASAP. Now.

This is a special and expensive moment for everyone else in the room.

The way I feel about it is that I personally sacrificed and gave up many fun activities to avoid having my children irritate others, and I do not have any tolerance for the new generation of parents who think others should be OK with listening to their kids cry, whinge, barter, scream, howl, run around, etc..

The restaurant may be baby friendly, but that doesn't mean the patrons like babies in the room. I know I get upset if I even get seated near a table with a baby, because I know what is coming, almost always, disruption to my meal.

Parents get used to continuing on when baby fusses a little, but for me, I will literally put my utensils down and let my food get spoiled rather than eat a bite while there is any crying whatsoever. The sound just destroys my digestion, perhaps because I am a mother, and am programmed to respond in that area.

There, that feels better.