We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Lahaina Luau or Feast at Lele?

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Old Lahaina Luau or Feast at Lele?

Hi everyone,

My fiancee and I will be going to Maui on our honeymoon in Sept and we're trying to figure out which Luau would be best to see. From what I've read, it seems like the Old Lahaina Luau is more Hawaiian in nature while the Feast at Lele is more "polynesian." Would you say this is accurate? Also, it seems like old Lahaina is buffet style while feast is table service, and I've read the buffet style luau's can get a little hectic. Any input as to the food and overall show would be very helpful. We're both in our mid-twenties and want the best show with the best food (I know, crazy request right?). Thanks all!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,929 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Lahaina Luau or Feast at Lele?

OLL = Hawaiian, buffet . FaL = Polynesian, table service

I thought the OLL buffet line was quite well run. Food was good, traditional lu`au fare. If you must see a fire dancer you need to go to FaL, as it's not a Hawaiian thing.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Lahaina Luau or Feast at Lele?

The food is a bit more eclectic and exotic at the FAL. The food was very good and no chaos at OLL. It's a simple choice for our family.....we preferred the table service. Both shows are gorgeous and very well worth the money. You cannot lose either way. We felt that OLL was more "family friendly" and FAL was more romantic. Deb

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,986 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Lahaina Luau or Feast at Lele?

I prefer FaL....I thought the food was slightly better, not a fan of the buffet lines, I liked the show at both but I liked the show at FaL more. I like the way the seating is at FaL better I thought too many seats at OLL were off the side. You really can't go wrong with either.

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Lahaina Luau or Feast at Lele?

Thanks you so much for all of your replies and suggestions. It really is appreciated!. I wanted to mention that my finacee and I will be staying on both Maui and Kauai and plan to see a luau on both islands. It seems like the Old Lahaina Luau and Smith's Luau are similar in that they are the more traditional onces, while the feast at lele and luau Kalamaku are more similar as these are more polynesian in nature. Therefore, I think we would want to do one traditional and one non-traditional. Would you recommend we go the Old Lahaina/Kalamaku route then or the Feast at Lele/Smith's path instead?

Thanks again for all of your input and suggestions! It really is greatly appreciated!

(I wanted to mention I also posted this on the Kauai forum as well)

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Lahaina Luau or Feast at Lele?

My wife and I just got back from our Honeymoon in Maui a couple of weeks ago. We went to the Old Lahaina Luau and had a fantastic time. Very well run. Highly recommend it!!

Lahaina, Hawaii...
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Lahaina Luau or Feast at Lele?

Both OLL and FAL are great but very different. FAL is a bit more intimate in that you will get your own private table and the food is served table side. Since Kalamaku is a buffet, I would recommend doing Feast at Lele on Maui and then Smith's on Kauai. This way you get a mix of traditional and polynesian and buffet and table side.

No matter which you choose, you will have a great time! Enjoy!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,986 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Old Lahaina Luau or Feast at Lele?

Personally, one luau would be plenty and I'd pick either of the luau's on Maui over Smiths.

Level Contributor
35,958 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Old Lahaina Luau or Feast at Lele?

We could not have been happier with Feast at Lele! It was very nice being served all of our courses instead of standing in a buffet line. :).

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Old Lahaina Luau or Feast at Lele?

Thanks everyone for your input, guidance, and suggestions. After doing a little more research and talking to the finacee, I think we decided on doing the Feast at Lele over Old Lahaina Luau, as we really like that it seems to be more intimate and we'll get to try a broad range of food from many different cultures. We're not as sold yet on Kauai, but I think we're leaning towards Smiths over Kalamaku. Thanks again to everyone for your help!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Old Lahaina Luau or Feast at Lele?

Depending on where you're staying on Kaua'i, you might consider the luau at Mediterranean Gourmet in Haena. It's a small, intimate, literally family affair, with mom, dad, daughters, aunts and uncles. Quite a contrast to the much larger productions like Smith's.