We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Mag March Issue: Edible Maui

Seattle
Level Contributor
916 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset Mag March Issue: Edible Maui

As we're planning our May trip to Maui and researching a fun "eating" trip upcountry, I (randomly) picked up the March issue of Sunset magazine at the grocery store today--and coincidentally found this article about a "foodie road trip" around Maui upcountry. Fun! So many confirming ideas, so many new ideas! But how to eat so much in one trip??

sunset.com/travel/…

Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
366 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Mag March Issue: Edible Maui

Thanks SeattleBadger for the link - was good information and I have now added it to my "binder" book for our upcoming trip.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,839 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Mag March Issue: Edible Maui

I can vouch for Grandma's Coffee House, except they left out her famous cinnamon rolls. That and the coffee, oh my!!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
109 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Mag March Issue: Edible Maui

please try T Komoda in makawao for malasadas- YUMMY!! :)

Address: 3674 Baldwin Ave, Makawao, HI 96768

Phone:(808) 572-7261

Hours: Thursday hours 7:00 am–5:00 pm

Transit: Across Makawao Library

travelandleisure.com/travel-guide/maui/activ…

Mentioned in this post
Makawao
Makawao
Maui, HI
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset Mag March Issue: Edible Maui

Nice link SeattleBadger, thanks.

Janisinbc, I'm starting a binder for next year :)

msfuzz, now you've done it -- I have to go out and find cinnamon rolls!

Seattle
Level Contributor
916 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset Mag March Issue: Edible Maui

I like the Travel & Leisure link, Chioual. If you look up at top right corner of the page that opens, there is another link to "activities on Maui". Lots of interesting ideas that I haven't necessarily seen other places. Another one for the "binder"! (I file things like this on my tripit.com account, to access via computer or smartphone when on the trip)

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
973 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset Mag March Issue: Edible Maui

The Geste shrimp truck is good, but it's not worth a special trip. Stop if you are in Kahului at least once.

Mentioned in this post
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Lebanon, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset Mag March Issue: Edible Maui

As Maui is one of our favorite vacation spots it was great to get more local places to eat from this article.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunset Mag March Issue: Edible Maui

Nice article, Badger- also interesting that they included 'Ulupalakua' but left off Bully's burgers.. ;)

www.triplelranchmaui.com/Bully_s_Burgers.html

Alo)(a, NKO

california
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunset Mag March Issue: Edible Maui

Badger, my family just did Sunset's Edible Maui trip last week. It was fun! You do need to space out the food stops. For example, we only ate half a malasada to make room for the noodle bowl we shared. Then we went to 'Iao Valley before we went to Geste Shrimp (which by the way, doesn't open until 11am). The lemon pepper shrimp was so-so but their pineapple shrimp is delicious! My girls don't like shrimp so we took them to a bbq food truck in the same place as Geste Shrimp and they absolutely loved it! We even bought a bottle of their bbq sauce home.

Unfortunately, we didn't get to try the sushi restaurant since it didn't open until 4pm and we had arrived at the Colleen's by 3pm. We loved the Reuben sandwiches but we're impressed with their drinks.

I think that you will enjoy this trip. It takes you away from the crowds and into parts of Maui that are stunning.

Mentioned in this post
Iao Valley
Iao Valley
90 Reviews
Maui, HI
10. Re: Sunset Mag March Issue: Edible Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 06:19