We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What IPA's or Pale Ales are available in stores on Maui?

Iowa
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Topic
What IPA's or Pale Ales are available in stores on Maui?

O:K -- Yes, I am a Beer snob and My wife and I have not been to Maui since 1979 (honeymoon) so that is awhile ..... and now that I am getting long in the tooth - I don't like crappy beer. I know that there are some "Local" Hawaiian beers - but the truth is that they are rated Pretty Average to Poor.

Can anyone tell me if the grocery stores carry a good selection of Premium IPA's and Pales? Lagunitas, Firestone, Bear Republic, Ale Smith, Stone, etc?

I know I will find out when I get there - but - like everyone else on here - I am planning ahead. Thanks and Cheers!!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What IPA's or Pale Ales are available in stores on Maui?

not sure what "local" beers you were looking at , but Kona Brewing company makes a number of good beers, including IPA's, Pale Ales, etc

Cypress, California
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What IPA's or Pale Ales are available in stores on Maui?

Maui Brewing Company also makes really good beer, including Pale Ales and I.P.A.. My wife and I are also beer snobs and always enjoy the beer at M.B.C..

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,319 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What IPA's or Pale Ales are available in stores on Maui?

Jayhawk, Welcome to the Maui forum! When is your trip and where will you be staying? Long's Drug stores are all over the island and may have better selection and prices than grocery stores.My husband and son are the beer snobs in our family, not me, so I don't really have a list of what is in the stores.

BUT... do try Maui Brewing Company's Big Swell IPA. Though my beer palate may be uneducated, my husband, and other beer connoisseurs I know, agree with me, Big Swell is ono! And it's made on Maui, so you should try it, and some of their other beers too. The Coconut Porter is pretty special.

mauibrewingco.com/mbc/MBCCannedBeer.html

Click the brewery tab on this link for tours too.

Here's another fun link.

axs.tv/blogs/…

Again, not grocery stores, but you might like MonkeyPod Kitchen in Wailea Gateway Center for their 36 craft brews on tap. Pretty good happy hour too.

www.monkeypodkitchen.com/wailea/beer-list/

The list does change, but this is on the site now.

jayhawk, if you are like us and our Iowa friends and family, you will be heading back to Maui again and again. I bet you will find some beer to make you happy on Maui. (Not that you even need beer to make you happy on Maui!) After your trip, if you think you could improve on the beer situation there, send me a pm. Maybe you would like to partner with my family in a Maui beer business!! ;-)

Aloha

Teri

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,319 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What IPA's or Pale Ales are available in stores on Maui?

OK, so even though Beer Advocate (Hubby's beer bible) rates it as only good, 86...

Big Swell IPA is the perfect IPA for Maui. You know IPAs are place-specific beers anyway, invented for India. So your surroundings, the scents and flavors in the air, affect the beer experience. Big Swell reviewed ON Maui would probably get close to 100!

How's that for Maui BS - "beer snobery"????

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What IPA's or Pale Ales are available in stores on Maui?

Aloha,

I have seen some of the better West Coast beers like Lagunitas and Stone in Maui stores so you should be fine. I'm currently in love with Lagunitas Sucks Brown Shugga Substitute Ale!

\nnn/

Iowa
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What IPA's or Pale Ales are available in stores on Maui?

Thanks

and Thanks to Teri from Cedar Rapids (I'm from Ankeny) We will be staying at Mahana Condos on Kaanapli Shores Place.

Oh my - -- Monkey pod has "Ballast Point Sculpin" - that is GOOD stuff! I have had this and it rates 98 to 100 - depending on the beer rating site that you go to. These same sites rank a beer like Kona Fire Rock a 65 out of 100. So -- take your pick. (:

We have been to Kauai several times (Love the solitude) but thought we should try Maui again before we "croak" (: Thanks for the tips fellow Beer Snobs!!

Candy Land
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What IPA's or Pale Ales are available in stores on Maui?

Im a Stella Artois and Affligem guy but will try. dont know if your into Sierra Nevada or Rogue beers but they are always available even the Torpedo. for wider selection of beers you can go to Whole Foods and Hawaii Super Liquor store.

I know the Hawaii beers are not so good but you should try them for yourself. Bikini Blonde is okay and goes for 10 bucks a six pack. when in Rome. one beer I can definitely not recommend is Primo.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,048 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What IPA's or Pale Ales are available in stores on Maui?

Maui Brewing Co has a tasting room in Lahaina as well. Might be a fun stop for you. www.mauibrewingco.com/mbc/MBCTastingRoom.html

Iowa
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What IPA's or Pale Ales are available in stores on Maui?

Thanks kai khem!! Yes I like Rogue - which I can get here in Iowa. My favorites are the West Coast Style IPA's (they have a distinct style from other IPA's). Sierra used to be my "go to" and than my palate out grew them - but they will do in a pinch.

Thanks for the tip on Whole foods and Super Liquor. And I JUST have to leave you with this (having fun here) I tried a Stella about a year ago -- and to me - it tasted like 'Windex". And don't ask me how I know what Windex tastes like, but trust me - I do. (: (:

Iowa
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What IPA's or Pale Ales are available in stores on Maui?

YES!! Lagunitas Sucks Brown Shugga -- is the BOMB. Where I am from they limit us to two 6packs per purchase -- or they run out!!