We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Hana & car sickness

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Topic
Road to Hana & car sickness

Last time we drove the road to Hana, I started to get car sick and it put a damper on our day. I've tried sea bands, and they haven't really done the trick. Has anyone tried something that doesn't make them completely drowsy?

Thanks!

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Hana & car sickness

I used Non-Drowsy Dramamine on our trip. I'm usually prone to car sickness on roads like that, but I had no issues.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
570 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Hana & car sickness

Ginger doesn't make you drowsy. It helped us driving up the coast of CA on hwy 1. Start taking the day before.

Tried Bonine (meclezine) but needed a nap :)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,464 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Hana & car sickness

The easiest way I've found to avoid car sickness is just for me to drive. I've tried all the other remedies and none of them work all that well, but ginger is somewhat soothing IME.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
556 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to Hana & car sickness

My wife uses ginger pills to combat sea sickness and says they work well. Another strategy is to stop frequently which is the norm for the road to Hana.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,688 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road to Hana & car sickness

I'm with SheaG. If I am driving, I am okay. If my husband drives, I take drugs! Hanging my head out the window helps too, but not advisable if you do fall asleep with your mouth open, as you will be catching flies and who knows what else!!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,380 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Road to Hana & car sickness

pakalolo

You won't even notice if you get car sick.

(just a joke)

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,380 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Road to Hana & car sickness

"pakalolo"

That's what a "friend" told me. I personally have no knowledge of it.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road to Hana & car sickness

I get the patch that goes behind your ear. I use it for flights and boat rides too. You have to get it from the doctor but it works. I used it for Hana and I didn't get sick and I didn't even have to drive!!

Edited: 02 March 2013, 15:40
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road to Hana & car sickness

You might want to check with a doctor to see if there's a problem such as ear problems, causing your motion sickness. Lots of recommendations for medications above, and some may work fine, but the evidence is anecdotal and may not be best for you. Each person's susceptibility to motion sickness is, of course, different. My wife, a doctor, doesn't like the behind-the-ear ptaches due to possible side effects. One thing sold at a helicopter tour place on the Big Island is an inhalder that supposedly inhibits motion sickness. I have no idea if it works.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road to Hana & car sickness

No side effects for me with a patch. Everyone is different.