We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Molokai? Lanai? or quiet part of Maui or Oahu? ”

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
394 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Molokai? Lanai? or quiet part of Maui or Oahu? ”

We are planning a visit mid-February next year. Absolutely LOVE Kauai and its beauty, and quiet surroundings. Much prefer it to Big Island or any "big city" tourist environments. Would like to visit a new area, and wondering which would be the best fit for us! Planning a 2-week stay for our family - with 3 boys in their 20's and 8-year old grandson. Nice beach areas - snorkeling, natural beauty without having to hike alot is what we are looking for. Options: Molokai on Papohaku Beach side, specific parts of Lanai?, specific parts of Maui?, or north end of Oahu near Polynesian Cultural Center. Believe that weather on west sides of islands is usually warmer, less rainy - is that true? Is 2-weeks too long to spend on Molokai or Lanai? Any input, ideas or info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Trilogy Excursions
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours
Redline Rafting Co.
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Valley Isle Excursions
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Blue Water Maui
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Molokai? Lanai? or quiet part of Maui or Oahu? ”

Yes, 2 weeks is too long for Molokai or Lanai.

We have stayed at Molokai for one week, and it was long. Lanai is even smaller.

I recommend Maui with a few days on Lanai.

For February and quiet part of Maui, I recommend you look into Makena. It is at the southern end of Maui. It is typically quieter there. Great beaches, excellent for snorkeling. You will also have Wailea and Kihei within a short drive away for lots of restaurant choices.

From Maui, you can take an hour long ferry to go to Lanai for even quieter relaxation, and more snorkeling. I think 3 days is enough there.

The south side of Maui is generally sunnier, less rain, particularly during the winter months.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,924 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Molokai? Lanai? or quiet part of Maui or Oahu? ”

Where do you stay when on Kauai?

Makena is a good suggestion for Maui....quieter there.

Napili to Kapalua would be another option. I always stay on the northern end of the west side-Kapalua, and that is more rugged and quiet, yet it can get a bit more rain etc. in Feb. That is why it is green and has a lot of rainbows. A lot of good snorkeling there also. Typically the south is calmer in winter, but reports this year have been that the west and north have been good. You usually get a combination of days mixed in. True west and south would give you more consistent sun, unless an all island storm is happening.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
394 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Molokai? Lanai? or quiet part of Maui or Oahu? ”

We have stayed in the Poipu area of Kauai, as the south shore is best there in the winter months. Love the north shore of Kauai too!

Your input is so valuable to us!! Thank you! Many more questions to come!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Molokai? Lanai? or quiet part of Maui or Oahu? ”

JMHO.....with three young men in their twenties and an eight year old in the group, I would choose Maui. Either side of the island would serve you just fine. We prefer the south side, as it feels more laid back to us and it is more budget friendly.

It's interesting what makes travelers happy. I talked to a lady in her eighties a couple days ago.......very young at heart!!!.... And she was so excited to have just received clearance to bring the family dog on holiday to Molokai for a three week Christmas visit this year. A large, extended family group will be renting a big home and plan to just relax and enjoy a Hawaiian holiday together, with day trips to Maui and Oahu. She knew exactly what the plan was and the lack of excitement was a big part of the appeal to their family vacation! The youngest will be four months old to the senior members in their eighties ..... And of course, their dog!

I know our twenty something's are like their parents. A little excitement is fun to find but quiet where we choose to stay on island. Kauai or Maui make us very happy. Enjoy planning your fun times! Deb

Edited: 04 March 2013, 00:05
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
394 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Molokai? Lanai? or quiet part of Maui or Oahu? ”

Appreciate your input! Where on the south side do you recommend - for nice beach areas and affordable housing?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
394 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Molokai? Lanai? or quiet part of Maui or Oahu? ”

At that time of year, are we best off looking at the south or west sides of each island? would like to be able to snorkel and boogieboard where we stay - although I'm sure we will want to check out the north shore beaches too. any specific city names for each island would be very helpful, as to what you think would fit our needs. thank you!

7. Re: Molokai? Lanai? or quiet part of Maui or Oahu? ”

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 05:17