We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LONG Trip Report 2/13-2/13

new jersey
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
LONG Trip Report 2/13-2/13

Hello my TA Friends!!!

Sorry it has taken me so long to post this...i've been licking my wounds since we left :( it was our third time to Maui, and it is simply magical! I cried when we landed, and cried when we left...

Day 1 - Left EWR for SFO at 8:30 am, flight was without incident. Connected in SFO at 2:20 PST and were lucky to score an upgrade to first class (upgraded with miles when we booked in June) so this leg was obviously the best :) We landed a half hour early (woo hoo!), booked it to baggage, then again to Budget (i'm a Fastbreak customer, so got in their special line and entrance to the left). We booked the car and hotel (RLR) through Costco and it was a steal! 5 nights partial ocean view and car for $1,200! But i digress...Got on the road and made it to the hotel by 6:30. Check it went well, asked for as high of a floor as possible, so they put us on 7 facing Lanai/Black Rock. ***I also asked about our last day and a hospitality suite or partial day charge because our flight was leaving late, and they said hospitality suite would be available BUT WASN'T, more on that later. only thing that snagged our stay:P **** ANYWAY, we went up to the room with the bellman and WOW! Gorgeous!!! Beautiful bed, bath, lanai, what more could you ask for at less that $200 a night! Loved it!!! So we freshened up and headed straight to Leilani's (drove because we were too tired, validated parking by restaurant) for our-first-night-in-Maui traditional dinner. We sat at the bar area as always, and I single handedly destroyed the pork nachos. I look little, but i can hang with best of them :) They are amaaahhzing! Walked back to the car, via ABC stores (like a moth to a flame, obsessed with that place..i'm one of those people who can tell you where the "good" ABC stores are haha) and headed back to the hotel, asleep by 10pm, which i was proud of! didn't think i would make it past 9!

Day 2 to come, more amazingness to be continued :)

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
451 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LONG Trip Report 2/13-2/13

Hi. What hotel is RLR? Looking forward to reading more about your trip!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LONG Trip Report 2/13-2/13

Royal Lahaina Resort

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,865 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LONG Trip Report 2/13-2/13

Yeah! Another trip report. Are you really going to make us wait till the end to find out what happened? Thanks for sharing!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,622 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LONG Trip Report 2/13-2/13

"I cried when we landed and cried when we left."

The first paragraph told me your trip report was going to be awesome! And it was!!! Looking totally forward to the next installment. LOL....I have a sister that used to be known for turning in her ABC store receipts and getting multiple "free" gifts! Thanks for the fun report! Deb

new jersey
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LONG Trip Report 2/13-2/13

LOL! It's not that exciting, just annoying. Don't want to get your hopes up, there was no blood shed! LOL!

new jersey
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LONG Trip Report 2/13-2/13

DAY 2!

Woke up at 5:30 like a kid on christmas! Still could not believe i was IN Maui! Tossed and turned until about 6:45, then i took at walk downstairs to get cup of coffee at Royal Scoop (love). Walked out to the lawn in front of the beach and saw my whale friends and the sun shining on Molokai. Someone pinch me! Pretty sure i cried again, haha. I have problems...Went back up to the room, called NJ to check up on everyone, gave sleepy hubs a kiss on the cheek, and then went downstairs for my first Maui run in 2013! WOW!!! Ran all the way up the beachwalk to the end, through the parking lot to Lower Honoapiilani rd., then south down the highway to kekaa dr, dooown the big hill to kaanapali pkwy, down to the Hyatt, then back up beachwalk! (sidenote; beachwalk south of blackrock for runners is just unbearable haha. But i knew that, so it was my fault really. The rest of my runs were strictly beachwalk north of blackrock then pkwys and roads). Back to the room, shower, off to Snorkel Bobs on Lower Honoapiilani for some misc. rentals. We got chairs at $15 each for the week and wetsuit tops (we have our own snorkel gear).

Next up was Plantation House for brunch...ummmmm...what happened to this place??? It was actually, like, sad how bad it has declined. Service was friendly, albeit slow, but food was basically mediocre diner. We have had so many special dinners here in years past, so this drop in quality was just tearful. We knew what we were getting into though, thanks to various web reviews and discussions about the new management/chef, but we had a gift certificate and didn't want it to go to waste...view was incredible though, as always.

Back to RLR and just had a lazy beach day...so, basically the best day ever :) We hit up Japengo for dinner, wanted to try something new, and the view was CAH-Razy! Food was good too, but no mind blowers :) Got my first Ocean on the Rocks though (with a splash of pineapple) and it became my signature drink for the entire vacation...Headed to Front street, sucked it up and paid the $4 to park (we're used to NYC parking prices, so $4 is like dream come true!), then walked to Hula cookies and ice cream and got my mind blow! haha. Had some cookie with pineapple and macadamia (and maybe crack haha) and Roselani mac-nut caramel WHOA who knows, it was incredible...i may have cursed LOL. It was that good...walked around a but, drove back to RLR, had one more Ocean (!) and back to bed....

Day Three later!

Level Contributor
35,002 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LONG Trip Report 2/13-2/13

It sounds like Maui stole your heart... So fun! :)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,865 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LONG Trip Report 2/13-2/13

Isn't it great to finally wake up there? I will in 13 days! I am really bummed about the Plantation House. It was one of our favorite places, but sounds like it isn't very good now....I may have to cancel our upcoming reservations. :(

new jersey
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LONG Trip Report 2/13-2/13

lucky you travelbugged! try not to rub it in! LOL!

DAY 3 - Same morning routine as the day before. Coffee at royal scoop, morning run, then a walk to the lawn to watch the whales aaaahhhh...just another day in dreamland. We hoofed it to Leoda's today, because the buzzzz has been non-stop about this place ***ended up eating there 3 different times during the trip! more on that day-by-day***. The sandwiches were very good. Incredible? Not what we ordered on this day. We got the cheese steak with broccoli rabe and the seared tuna. The tuna i thought was under-seasoned, and the sandwich was hard to eat without falling about, which drives me bonkers. HOWEVER, we also grabbed dessert, and i saw God when i bit into the mini chocolate mac-nut pie, HOLY! could have eaten 18 of those, and i tried all week :) We drove back to RLR, picked up our snorkel gear, and walked to Blackrock. We'be been-there-done-that with driving around the island to go snorkel, and just wanted a walk-in spot close. We have stayed at the KBH on past visits, and this is one of our fav snorkel spots, but it was disappointing on this day...just the way it goes with Blackrock. Oh well, we're stil in Maui! Can't ever complain!!! Back to the hotel and just chilled on the beach. The beach in front on RLR is just perfect, not crowded, wide beautiful...stayed there for a few hours and then cleaned up for dinner at Merriman's. One word: WOW! Top drawer everything, food, view, drinks, service. We would have gone there every night if our wallets allowed :) Another drive to whaler's village for a drink, but hula grill and leilani's were packed to the tikis, so we just bought a small bottle of Ocean and went back to the room, sat on the lanai, and looked at the stars...My husband turned to me and said "GOD, i love Maui..." You and me both, babe...

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,642 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LONG Trip Report 2/13-2/13

An excellent read so far! I am so sorry to have missed Leoda's, even though we drove past it 3 times.

Are you referring to Ocean Vodka? Love that stuff, too. Must try with the splash of pineapple juice. My drink of choice on any island is coconut rum with pineapple juice.