We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner on the way back down from summit

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
640 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dinner on the way back down from summit

Any Places for dinner on our way back down from Haleakala sunset? Looking for any type of yummy cuisine. But not mammas although I know it's delicious, just a lil pricey.

Anyone tried kojimas sushi or waynes sushi? I'm not sure if either is on you way back down....we will be going back to kihei. Thanks!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,282 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner on the way back down from summit

I really like Paia Fish Market. Good prices, communal setting, and their seafood pasta dish is so good it's been on the Food Network.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner on the way back down from summit

Kula Lodge is the obvious 1st mention for me. Enjoy more amazing views, & a stroll around their incredible grounds after ordering a great pizza (not your run-of-the-mill pie & takes awhile..) cooked in perhaps one of the coolest pizza ovens (see link) anywhere in the pacific. That contraption uses wood, so if you're (as I am) a bit particular about too much char, be sure to tell them you like your crust a bit soft! ;)

Kula lodge pizza oven:

…staticflickr.com/2569/3784862380_68a88f4c09…

Flatbread (yah...pizza again..) in Paia is another option, although it can get a bit warm in there owing to lack of mechanical cooling system (aka, A/C..) This joint offers really another rather unique take on the common, if boring, pizza.

Sorry, I've intentionally avoided establishments conducive to the theme of your 2nd paragraph, but in NKO's book, fish are friends not food! :o ~enjoy!

Alo)(a, NKO

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,030 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner on the way back down from summit

I'd head to Paia. If you did stop at Kula lodge there won't be a view since it would be after dark. But I hear the fireplace will warm you up.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,478 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner on the way back down from summit

We dined at Kula Lodge twice last fall and love their food. We didn't try the pizza, so that will be in our list for next fall. I agree that Pa'ia Fish Market would be awesome! Fun atmosphere and excellent food. The view of busy Pa'ia is cool to watch through the window or take your food down the road to Ho'okipa and watch the surfers. Deb

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner on the way back down from summit

DW and I actually found the view from Kula Lodge's dining room after dark to be quite special. All those twinkling lights from Kahului/Wailuku to Ma'alea/Kihei/Wailea. VERY romantic!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,381 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner on the way back down from summit

Or you can stop in Makawao. There is supposed to be a good steak house.... would have to do a search to find it though. I can't remember!

Bev Gannon has a restaurant at the General Store! Ha'aliimaile General Store. We had lunch there in May, haven't done dinner.

Oh, and on my map.... it says Makawao Steak House. So how easy was that!

Edited: 06 March 2013, 16:58
Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner on the way back down from summit

Aloha,

It depends on how long you stay at the summit and how hungry you are. If staying to star gaze, you'll find most restaurants will be closed. Kula Lodge closes at 9pm.

If you do stay late and are starving, I highly recommend Serpico's in Pukalani.

\nnn/

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner on the way back down from summit

May be more casual than you are looking for, but we love Cafe Mambo on Baldwin just a block up from Hana Highway. Funky little place with some interesting menu options.

http://www.cafemambomaui.com

Schaumburg, Illinois
Level Contributor
81 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinner on the way back down from summit

You have to make your way over to the Kula Highway (Route 37), but it is less than 5 miles out of the way of the path you will be on anyway. The place is called the Kula Bistro, and we just loved it when we ate there. Prices are typical for Maui, so not cheap eats, but not in Mama's Fish House territory by any means.

Kihei
Level Contributor
21 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dinner on the way back down from summit

I second Serpico's in Pukalani and Flate Bread in Paia. Both are really good and ok prices.