We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa or The Westin

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa or The Westin

We will be travelling to Maui in Dec for our first time. We have been looking at both the Marriott and the Westin as they are within the same date range. I had a few questions and was hoping to get some help :)

Things we are looking forward

1. Great pool

2. Beach access

3. Restaurants and bars in walking distance

4. Lively atmosphere

If there are other hotels that meet this description let me know as well :)

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa or The Westin

The kaanapali area is livelier.

I'm sitting on my oceanfront lanai at the Wailea Marriott right now -and am loving it! It's easy walking distance to the shops at Wailea and other hotels to eat and drink, has several pools (the adult pool is awesome!). The views are wonderful but you have to walk to one or another side of the hotel to get to the sandy beach, as the hotel sits on the rocky part of the shore. The walk to the beach is short and, is a very good snorkel beach.

I think it will come down to what part of the island suits you best. We prefer south Maui, but other folks prefer kaanapali. It's a personal preference thing.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
556 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa or The Westin

Our personal experience is that things get very, very quiet in Wailea after sunset. Kaanapali has a lot more energy.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa or The Westin

I agree - Wailea is not known for nightlife. Last night we ate at the shops (tommy Bahamas - much better than I expected) and could hear lots of people having a good time at either longhis or cheeseburger. But, I believe they close at 10.... So not much happening. There is plenty of nightlife in neighboring kihei - but that is a 5-10 minute drive.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,059 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa or The Westin

If those were my only two options, I'd go with the Marriott in Wailea ... because the Westin Resort and Spa is a terrible resort. I'd never stay there or recommend it. If you were considering the Hyatt or the Sheraton Maui on Ka'anapali ... I would choose either of them -- Sheraton #1 and Hyatt #2.

Here's a rough map of the Ka'anapali Resort area.

kaanapaliresort.com/About/resortMap.aspx

If you scroll down and click on the resort of interest, you'll see aerials. I generally disregard the commentary.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,735 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa or The Westin

See, now that's what I like about BLBL - she just put's it right out there! :-D

For just plain number of options for bars and restaurants, Ka'anapali is a great location. But the Westin wouldn't be my top choice either.

The Marriott Wailea was overhauled a while back and is a beautiful resort with two of South Maui's great beaches at the adjacent corners of the property. Very nice infinity pool as well. But things are definitely quieter there.

6. Re: Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa or The Westin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 06:17