We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What "one".....................................

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
What "one".....................................

........................................activity or attraction was such a disappointment that you wish you had skipped it?

For me, it is Maui Tropical Plantation. A beautiful location with beautiful grounds, it is just somehow lacking for me. The wife, on the other hand, really likes the gift shop and can spend hours "fingering" everything there, so I am forced to return there each trip.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,448 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What "one".....................................

Wow...this is a hard one...we have never regretted anything we have done or seen. My husband and I can't think of anything.

The feast of Lele we did together and the Old Lahaina Luau with our kids...even though we don't want to do a Luau again, it was still an experience that we thought was worthwhile.

My kids would say Haleakala at sunrise....it was absolutely gorgeous for us, but my kids were to young at the time to appreciate it and just concentrated on being cold :)

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What "one".....................................

I can actually think of a total of three that left me underwhelmed, but Haleakala sure wasn't one of them!!!

Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What "one".....................................

Nothing that I wish we had skipped...but something on the "meh" list that once done doesn't need to be done again: Molokini. It was fine, but just fine; cold, crowded, and just not really any better than snorkeling Napili or Kapalua.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What "one".....................................

Molokini is actually on my list as well SeattleBadger. LOVE the boat ride out and back, but the snorkeling is just so-so. We've done it twice but don't think we will again.

Edit: OOPS! Just broke my own rule!! :~)

Edited: 09 March 2013, 16:28
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,448 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What "one".....................................

Well if you can break your rule :)

I didn't regret the sunrise, but I probably wouldn't have done it with the kids.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,122 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What "one".....................................

I agree, Molokini was a disappointment. Especially compared to shore snorkeling on Maui. But, I've learned to never give up. Heck, I wasn't impressed with Maui after my first visit. After this past January's visit, I could move there! So, upon reading this forum since returning, I have learned about one boat tour that takes you to the back side of Molokini (sorry, cannot remember which one). People seem to love this and I'd be willing to give it a try.

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What "one".....................................

I just want to say that Molokini CAN be wonderful! On our first time there we had the kids with us, we took Trilogy. We saw abundance and variety of sea life in the unbelievably clear water that all the Molokini trips promise you! We saw octopus, eels, even saw a white tip reef shark. It was one of our best snorkel trips ever. That was about 7 years ago. The two times since that we've gone were not so great. But the one thing I've learned is that conditions are always changing, so you never know what you'll experience.

I'm trying to think if there is anything that we wish we hadn't done. Ohh... I remember now but will have to wait since I'm cleaning and have people coming over.

Aloha for now.

Teri

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What "one".....................................

Dinner cruise.....I am not saying the name of the company because I believe the experience would have been the same on any DINNER cruise boat. It was difficult to eat a full blown dinner because of the movement of the boat, the emphasis was on drinking alcohol and we don't drink alcohol.......good times. What was I thinking?

We had booked this trip with our 20 year old son and I could tell he was absolutely miserable. It was a boat full of middle age couples getting sloshed and it was windy, a horrible sunset and difficult to eat food. No whales to be seen, possibly because it was the first week of April. The music was our redeeming factor and the three of us enjoyed the musician.

I booked this trip years before learning about TA and now have so many better options. Now I would spend more money and have my husband and son go play golf for a special event or reserve a special dinner for the three of us on LAND..........lol!!! Live and learn. Deb

P.S. Dengay.....you might have just come up with the most useful newbie question yet for avoiding possible mistakes!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,462 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What "one".....................................

I wish we had taken the Valley Isle tour to Hana rather than driving ourselves the first time. We are not hikers and just didn't enjoy the drive.

The wonderful, informative guide for our trip really made a world of difference and I wasn't a wreck from driving.

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What "one".....................................

OK, I can't let this go. My confession is post 27 in this link. Should've never followed the advise of a certain guide book! Sorry for bringing up this topic... maybe it will bring out our old friend Caddy, though!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k491769…

And I did order Lonely Planet after that. I thought it gave some pretty bad and confusing advise too. TA is better than any guidebook once you have an overview of the islands.

Back to scrubbing my kitchen and dreaming of Maui.