We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I still have fun?

Bellingham...
3 posts
Save Topic
Will I still have fun?

So in the worst of luck, i broke my hand yesterday... less than 2 weeks before leaving for our first trip to Hawaii. I'm getting my cast tomorrow and plan on begging for a waterproof one. It's going to extend from elbow to the tips of my pinky and ring fingers. I'm so upset. I've been planning this trip for a year and was SO looking forward to it. Now I'm just depressed and wondering how much fun I'm going to be having. We can"t cancel, our three kiddos (10, 8, 5) would be way too disappointed. Anyone have any experience or advice?

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,616 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Will I still have fun?

YES, you will still have a wonderful time! This is a great opportunity to let your family *wait on Mom*. No carrying 'stuff'! No *cooking* or cleaning!

(If you need pain meds, bring plenty WITH you. No opiate prescriptions can be filled without a scrip from an MD licensed in Hawaii.)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,004 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will I still have fun?

Yes you will! Does it stink? yes...but hopefully you can get a waterproof one...or at least temporarily until you return from trip. If not, what can you do? Enjoy the beautiful views, what your children laugh and giggle, watch the whales, enjoy a sail, drive and look at the views, eat the fabulous food... I could go on and on. Is it perfect? no, but life seldom is. last summer for our trip to Kauai my husband was still recovering from a broken ankle. He was on crutches for most of the trip until the end where he could limp slowly. You can let it get you down, or you can let that Maui aloha fill your being and just take it all in. Good luck and I hope you report back to how it is going. I will be there the 16-31 so maybe I'll see you!

Edited: 10 March 2013, 22:29
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Will I still have fun?

Of course you'll still have fun...if you can't get a water proof cast invest in some plastic bags and duct tape..

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,682 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will I still have fun?

I'm so sorry about your bad luck! Yes.....you will have a blast, even if it means living through the happiness of the rest of your family. :-))) I will hope for you that you are able to enjoy the ocean, but honestly, just being on the sand and watching your kids have fun will be amazing!

You can still go to so many wonderful places from watching windsurfers at Ho'okipa, wandering Pa'ia for souvenirs and lunch at Pa'ia Fish Market, explore Iao Valley, watch every sunset and take countless photos of your family! Head to the Swap Meet and let the kids buy souvenirs of their trip.......so many things you can still do even though this may be a little bit of a bummer. Don't let it get in the way of your fun! And when possible, we'd love a trip report to let us know how the trip was......Deb

P.S. Love the duct tape and plastic bag suggestion!

Edited: 10 March 2013, 22:34
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,047 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will I still have fun?

By all means- GO!! I have been to Maui with a sprained ankle, bald head from chemotherapy, and severe sciatica strain (not all at the same time!).

It was the very best place to recover and raise my spirits. Even if your participation is limited, you will be joyful watching your kids have the time of their lives.

Bellingham...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Will I still have fun?

Wow, in re-reading this I realize how whiny I sound. I'm trying hard to not feel sorry for myself and have actually been doing a pretty good job. But then I started thinking about a sweaty, itchy cast and the possibility of missing out on snorkeling - the thing I was looking forward to the most, and I let my self pity get the better of me. I'm already feeling better. Thanks for the advice everyone! It's helping!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,823 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will I still have fun?

Not just waterproof, I think to fly you need an expandable one (don't know the exact term). I read somewhere that sometimes people swell when they fly and they need a special one - make sure you tell your doctor you are flying in the next couple of weeks.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,843 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will I still have fun?

Everyone deserves a pity party once in a while! Even if you can't get a waterproof cast, I personally would do everything possible I could to cover that sucker up and still go snorkeling!!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,682 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will I still have fun?

Sometimes it's hard not to whine just a little when you've been counting down to your good times and life knocks you down! I always told our young adult children when they were growing up that life isn't fair.....but it sucks when it turns out to be true! The attitude readjustment was quick.......good for you! Have fun! Deb

Grass Valley, CA
Level Contributor
126 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will I still have fun?

Your choices are to stay home with a broken hand or go to Maui with a broken hand! Since you have a broken hand either way... GO ENJOY MAUI!!! :-)

I would still go with two broken legs and two broken arms. Just prop me up in the corner with a Mai Tai and a view and I'm in heaven!

Tom