We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day One- Travel and First Impressions

Ontario's...
Level Contributor
75 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Day One- Travel and First Impressions

Wow, the trip here to Hawaii from Toronto was the longest journey I have ever been on! We flew from Toronto to Phoenix...couldn't sleep a wink at the airport hotel (plus, had one too many glasses of wine in my holiday euphoria and woke up with a moderate to severe wine hangover). We lost an hour due to the time change, so the day seemed extra long. We landed in Phoenix about half an hour early, only to see that our flight was delayed four hours, getting us in to maui at midnight instead of 5:22 pm. I was sad. Then, a few minutes later, the screen changed and the flight was only delayed by about 90 minutes.

The flight was LONG. US airways- no seat back tv's like our AIr Canada flight to Phoenix. The entire flight, we looked down at beautiful, continuous cloud cover. We landed in Maui to a very grey, dark early evening. The mountains were shrouded in mist- it was actually kind of beautiful, but of course, I was worried about the rain that seems to hover over our vacation. We picked up our car- we were so, so tired at this point that we just kind of stood like zombies waiting for the rental car shuttle. Our intermediate is a Mazda crossover- with a big hatch back. A little big but nice and roomy for the four of us.

We had an uneventful drive to the hotel in the dark- so curious about what the island must look like! It was kind of like arriving blindfolded. The Fairmont Kea Lani is incredibly beautiful. We booked mountain view but the room is at the front of the tower, facing the ocean. It has very obstructed views (trees, Polo Beach Club), but we can see and hear waves. The room is definitely an upgrade- the living room is HUGE and the balcony wraps around the front and sides, with access from three sliding doors. The room and the hotel are beyond beautiful- I had researched it to death, but was still surprised at how soaring, open air and just stunning the lobby was. The smell- that was something I didn't anticipate. Tropical and floral, but REAL! Not an air freshener!

We were hungry, but has been awake for almost 24 hours, so we zombie walked to the Luana Lounge and had a light dinner. We are travelling with two 13 year olds, and they were just kind of hungry, so they ordered from the Keiki menu- no issues at all. Drinks and food were great.

Came back to the room, fell into the king sized bed (have i mentioned the size of the bathroom!? The king bed could easily fit in there!) and put on the news- rain forecast for the next few days. This made me very sad. I wanted to see Maui in the sunshine for the first time. Fell asleep fretting about this a little, but I did see stars, so I thought this was a good omen.

Woke up at 4:30, too excited to sleep any longer. It was very dark. Daughter and I went to the lobby in search of coffee (which was complimentary in the lobby, complete with Hot Chocolate and tea) and wandered the lobby and pool area. I felt a little emotional about how beautiful it all was, even in the dark. The sky started lightening and we went back up to the room to watch the night turn into day. To my DELIGHT, the clouds are parting and it seems like we are going to see some sun today. YES!

Sitting on the huge lanai right now looking at a partly cloudy sky, with birds singing and waves crashing. Ahhh.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day One- Travel and First Impressions

I will admit that I have never stayed somewhere as nice as the Fairmont Kea Lani sounds and your report just gave me the giggles. I love how you said you were still a little emotional at how beautiful it was........very cool sentiment. :-)))

I am so happy you are going to get sun today. Enjoy your first real Maui day and have fun with those kiddos! Deb

Edited: 11 March 2013, 17:16
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day One- Travel and First Impressions

I hope you have an amazing time! It sounds like you will, and that you are already appreciating the beauty of where you are...I love that!

I have a question: We too, are flying US Air. I rely on watching movies to pass the time, and there weren't any tv's?? If not, I better bring my portable dvd!

Ontario's...
Level Contributor
75 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day One- Travel and First Impressions

There were tv's in the ceiling of the aisle. They showed Life of Pi and a surfing move (forget the name). And a whole bunch of other stuff that I didn't watch. It was hard to see the TV from the window seat.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day One- Travel and First Impressions

We've always stayed in condos, on Maui, so we've never gotten that WOW factor for the common spaces of some of these resorts. I think you've captured it perfectly, particularly on the early morning coffee hunt. You made me smile.

Enjoy your trip!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day One- Travel and First Impressions

My eyes aren't what they used to be; that ceiling tv will be a blur (yikes, I'm barely 40)....think I will bring my portable dvd player, and that way play the movie I want to see! Thanks for the reply!

Now go have an awesome time!!!!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,115 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day One- Travel and First Impressions

I am sooo happy you made it! It wasn't until we flew from Seattle last May that we finally got to arrive on Maui during the day. It really is special, but I am just glad you made it. No more hangovers now please! You don't want to waste any time there now!

I hope you have a great first day, full of sunshine and all that Maui has to offer! Wave to the whales for me!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
19,535 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day One- Travel and First Impressions

Looking forward to enjoying Maui through your words. Aren't the smells the most amazing? Ahhhh, plumeria!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,816 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day One- Travel and First Impressions

Oh boy another ride-along! You sure picked a great spot to recover from a long travel day and to experience Maui from. Hoping for sunny days ahead for you!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,635 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day One- Travel and First Impressions

Aloha and welcome to Maui. Looks like it's going to be a glorious day. Enjoy and thanks for writing!!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,667 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day One- Travel and First Impressions

What a wonderful first morning wake up.. ocean, sun, birds..with coffee on the lanai. Glad the Fairmont is exceeding your expectations.

It is a long flight from your neck of the woods.

thanks for taking time to report.