We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui with children

Richmond, British...
4 posts
Save Topic
Maui with children

We would like to visit Maui with our children 2 and 4. We would like to find an accommodation close to a beach where the children can have fun. We do not plan to rent a car, as we would like to get around with public transit, therefore, the place to stay and the beach should be in walking distance. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui with children

Sarah, may I ask your reason for NOT renting a car?

IMO it will be a very cumbersome and time consuming trip if you have to rely on public transportation, especially with two small children in tow.

Also, when are you planning on visiting Maui and for how long? Do you have a budget per night for lodging?

Once we know this information we can help steer you in the right direction.

Mary Ann

Richmond, British...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui with children

are you a travel agent ?

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui with children

The answers to maryann's questions are very important if you want the expert's help.

Public transportation is still evolving on Maui and NOT the most convienent way to get around.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui with children

Sarah......those are the questions that must be answered in order to help you! The reasons for renting a car are that it will give you complete flexibility to see all of Maui, it will save you considerable money and the inconvenience of taking the bus everywhere with two children will wear you out. Ok......it would definately wear me out! /-)))

If you reserve the car and check back to see if the price has lowered, you will usually see significant price drops a month or so before your departure. You simply make a new reservation and cancel the old one. I used to pre-pay our car rentals and realize now how much more money I spent. I was just trying to take care of a vacation expense but it cost us dearly. I sincerely hope you will reconsider the car and you will find Maui to be very easy to drive. Is it the driving on the wrong side of the road that is making you nervous or does that not apply for you? Deb

Central Valley...
Level Contributor
219 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui with children

Just about everyone here will recommend a rental car. Maui is an easy place to navigate. Even I had a tough time getting lost or turned around easily. :) I recommend a condo over a hotel with kids of any age. Just my opinion though. We brought our two boys in November & it was so nice to have a kitchen for breakfasts & snacks or even lunch & having separate bedrooms was a definitely plus. It gave us extra room to spread out so we're not on top of each other. It also makes is easier when there are different bedtimes & nap times will be much more convenient in a condo. People can steer you towards more specific accommodations once you give a little more information. Happy planning!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui with children

I am assuming your travel agent question is directed towards me????

No I am not. If you click on my name you can look at all of my past posts and find out way more than you want to know about my life! hahaha

I am a Maui lover who likes to be helpful, just like lots of others on this forum.

We come here to talk about our favorite place on earth and feel connected to Maui when we can not be there.

There are a lot of very helpful people on this forum who know much more than I do and none of them are travel agents.

Richmond, British...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui with children

We were not aware that a car is needed to get around Maui, thanks for the advice.

We would like to visit Maui for 7 - 10 days, we are flexible in our dates. We could go the last week of March or anytime in April. Once again, every advice is appreciated. We look for a clean simple accommodation, preferably ground level with a garden so the children can play :)

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui with children

We actually need the exact dollar $$$$ amount or range you wish to spend. :-))) I am a budget traveler and stay in a condo so we can splurge on other items on the vacation. My idea of budget might be completely different from yours! Deb

P.S. You honestly made me laugh out loud Maryann.........ditto here that somebody could learn much more about me than they care to know! Mostly that I am a Maui addict!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,939 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui with children

Are you talking about March or April of this year? Close to impossible. This is a very busy time on Maui with the humpback whales and Easter at the end of the month. Without a nightly accommodation budget we really can't help you. Of course I could suggest staying at the Four Seasons. Would starting at 500.00 a night do? Or do you want a hostel at 75.00 a night?

You can stay on Maui without a car but there are so many places on Maui to explore that a car would come in handy. If you don't rent a car, you will be stuck in one area. If you were to want to get out and explore the tours are very expensive. The vast majority of visitor on Maui rent cars.

What is it that you are most excited about coming to Maui? Why did you make this choice?

Edited: 19 March 2013, 20:54
Richmond, British...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui with children

We live in Vancouver, Canada and there is a sale on flights to Maui, $ 479 incl. tax roundtrip, therefore, we decided to go to Maui :). Our accommodation budget is max. $ 120 per night.