We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer airfare sales??

Jackson, California
Level Contributor
166 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Summer airfare sales??

We are heading to Maui June 23-July 7 (our dates are not flexible). Haven't purchased airfare yet because the price has been so high! We have never paid over $1800 for the 4 of us. I realize we are flying at a different time this year (over 4th of July, and on the weekend), but the best deal I can find is on Allegiant from Stockton to Honolulu, then a flight on go! Mesa. Doing this round trip would be $2800! Ouch!! Two questions....#1 do you think that there will be any summer sales soon and maybe we should hold out a bit longer? #2 I haven't flown Allegiant to/from HNL from STK and then purchased a connecting flight both ways separately. I am assuming we would have to get our bags then check in again, go thru security, etc. Is that a crazy idea? Obviously we would give ourselves plenty of time at HNL (like 3hrs at least?). My husband thinks we should wait, but it is stressing me out, I think we should buy now! Advice?

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer airfare sales??

I go in late August when prices are lower. Maybe some others with more experience booing in high season will chime in....but in my experience just watching fares, I don't usually see "sales" during july.

Have you looked at Alaska Air? One thing with them is you can get a price guarantee so that if the price does go down you get a credit for the difference. This is a credit - good for one year, not a refund, but it works for us cause we always fly Alaska now.

Dave

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
39 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer airfare sales??

My husband and I both got Alaska Air credit cards that gave us a companion ticket + 25,000 miles. Annual fees are $75 but well worth it as we saved about $1000 on four tickets.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer airfare sales??

Might be worthwhile to try SAC-OGG instead. Even a hotel room overnight in a larger gateway city might still work out cheaper. Or any of the Bay Area airports.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer airfare sales??

Both Alaska and Hawaiian are quite high right now -- I believe you could equal your fare with Hawaiian direct from SMF, but might require a few day extension on your return. Alaska is crazy high for summer OGG routes at present, and I'm sure both airlines will drop some, but with finite, inflexible dates involved there is obvious risk in waiting TOO long (it'll be awhile before they're completely full, but the risk escalates as the clock ticks..)

Good luck -- I'm waiting as well, though I apparently have much more flexibility -- tick-tock! ;)

Alo)(a, NKO

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,948 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer airfare sales??

Summer usually isn't a sale time . . . September and further is. :)

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,322 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer airfare sales??

A couple of years ago we brought the whole family and summer prices were high. We took a chance with Priceline and ended up with a great deal. We took a flight and car package where you couldn't see the flights until after you booked, but for 6 tickets we saved $700 and the car was free, except we paid a bit to upgrade to a minivan. Of course we are in the Midwest and flying out of a small town. We could have ended up with bad flights but we got an early flight to ORD and then straight to OGG arriving mid afternoon. Or you could try name-your-own-price, but that would make me even more nervous. Flying from California I don't think you'd be routed through lots of different stops anyway.

Good luck!

Edited: 20 March 2013, 21:23
7. Re: Summer airfare sales??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 04:18