We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you had two weeks what other island would you do?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
If you had two weeks what other island would you do?

It will be me, DH, DS16, DD7. Maui is mandatory since DH has never been to Hawaii. For the other island I am thinking the Big Island would be great as its the only one besides Molokai that I haven't been to. But is there a week's worth of stuff to do there, or should I do 10 days Maui/4 Big Island?

And to be honest I don't remember Kauai very well except that its really green. Would it be better for a 7 year old?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,374 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you had two weeks what other island would you do?

I would split it evenly, 7 on Maui and 7 on the island of Hawaii. Perhaps even spend 5 on Maui and the rest on the island of Hawaii. It's huge, will take at least a week to see a few things!!

California
Level Contributor
381 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you had two weeks what other island would you do?

Kauai is awesome...but it probably won't have enough to keep the kids entertained.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you had two weeks what other island would you do?

Please tell us how many nights you will have ... and when you plan to travel. It will help us greatly.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
556 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you had two weeks what other island would you do?

I'd go with the Big Island. Lots to explore and how often do you get the chance to see an erupting volcano?

LA
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: If you had two weeks what other island would you do?

The Big Island has enough to keep you entertained for two weeks. No problem there.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you had two weeks what other island would you do?

It will be 14 nights, summer time so no whale tours. Just hopefully lots of snorkeling.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,526 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you had two weeks what other island would you do?

I totally agree with msfuzz - if you want the Big Island, you need as much time as possible. If you want more time on Maui, then I would pick a smaller island like Kauai. When are you going on this trip? :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,526 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you had two weeks what other island would you do?

Most whales are back in Alaska, so no whale tours. Summer time on the northshore of Kauai is pretty great - enough entertainment for a 7 yr old, but by far, the best snorkeling is on the Big island. :)

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you had two weeks what other island would you do?

coalminer so are you saying snorkeling is better on the BI than on Maui? This trip will hopefully be in late July, still planning.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If you had two weeks what other island would you do?

Yes, the Big Island has the best snorkeling of all the islands. And two (or three) of the best snorkeling sites on the Big Island are in the Mauna Lani Resort area. With my kids, I've learned that as long as there's a good snorkeling beach and a work-out facility nearby, I don't have to worry about keeping them entertained, whether we're on island for just a few days or two weeks.