We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Maui - thoughts on itinerary?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Maui - thoughts on itinerary?

Hello,

My fiancee and I are going to be spending 5 nights in Maui before heading over to Kauai for 4 nights. We're both 30 and are looking for a mix of fun/adventure with relaxation time. We're staying at the Ritz Carlton and right now I'm looking for ideas of how to fill one last day. Here's what I've got so far...

1st day - spend the day relaxing - hang out at the beach, maybe go snorkeling, get a couples massage, nice dinner, etc.

2nd day - road to Hana day, leave around 7, so I assume we'll get back to our hotel around 7PM?

3rd day - parasailing in the morning, lunch somewhere in Lahaina, explore Lahaina that afternoon, Old Lahaina Luau at 5:45

4th day - open! Here's where I need some help. I don't really have any interest in Haleakala. I think we'd more like to just explore a different part of Maui. Maybe spend a couple hours walking around the streets of a neat little town/neighborhood with shops, spend a couple hours at a remote beach, etc.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Maui - thoughts on itinerary?

When are you coming?

For your last day, if you don't mind driving a bit go down to south Maui. It's a 45 minute drive from the Ritz. Kihei is a beach town full of restaurants shops, condo's and great beaches. You can drive even further south into Makena, going to Big Beach which is the last undeveloped beach on the island. It does have a nasty surf break so if you want to get into the water, make sure you are a very experienced swimmer. Just a bit further south of that is LaPerouse Bay which is the site of Maui's last lava flow. No where on the island like it. Deep blue ocean up against stark black lava.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,875 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Maui - thoughts on itinerary?

Or maybe head up country . . . or see some of Haleakala....or schedule and plan nothing and just see what happens - I think that would be best! :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Maui - thoughts on itinerary?

We get there on Monday, July 1st. So our last day there is Friday, the 5th (we leave for Kauai on Saturday).

I had thought about Kihei as well... just wasn't sure how long of a drive it was from the Ritz. 45 minutes is easy.

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Maui - thoughts on itinerary?

I think it's important to return from the Hana drive with some daylight left.

If it's raining maybe checkout the largest tropical aquarium in the USA.

You could do the quick hike at Iao Needle state park.

or start upcountry, there is a Lavendar farm, winery(Pineapple wine).

You may not be interested in Haleakala but If going upcountry and you have never driven through clouds and looked

down at a very colorful Volcanic crater you may want to continue on to it.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,059 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Maui - thoughts on itinerary?

Whoa ... 4th of July! Prepare for ... crowds. So the 4th is the day that you are trying to fill. It's tough to think that anyone would want to give Haleakala a pass. You could go Up Country and browse Makawao ... Paia is fun. Or you could couple Haleakala with Iao Needle or the Maui Ocean Center.

Your day three - understand that if you want to head back to the Ritz for a shower or such before the Luau, it's really not that far from Lahaina. 15 or 20 minutes max.

Given that you are coming during very high season, make sure that you reserve activities now, and your car as well. Any special restaurants? Reserve those as well.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Maui - thoughts on itinerary?

No, Friday the 5th is the open day as of now. We fly in on Monday, but it'll be 6:00 by the time we get to our hotel (and 11:00 body time... we live in Chicago). So that day is a wash. We're doing the Old Lahaina Luau on the 4th of July, and I'm well prepared for crowds. No worries there. Trying to figure out to do on our last day in Maui. Sorry for the confusion!

Chicago, Illinois
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Maui - thoughts on itinerary?

Maybe explore/drive the West Maui mountains stopping at Honolua Bay, Nakalele Blowhole, Olivine Pools, etc. If you drive all the way around, you'll end up in Wailuku. Grab something to eat either at Geste Shrimp Truck or Da Kitchen Cafe both in Kahului.

Wailea
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in Maui - thoughts on itinerary?

One of the nights you guys should go to "Warren & Annabelle's" in Lahaina...best dinner show I've ever seen. Sold out every night, so make reservations, a must see. Also "Fleetwoods on Front is fun place for dinner, be sure to be there for sunset from the rooftop bar!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in Maui - thoughts on itinerary?

*I* would skip the parasailing.You can do that at so many blah resorts; wouldn't waste my time on Maui.

Most rental contracts prohibit driving 'over the top' as KJ420 suggested.

Lahaina is good for a couple of hours -- lunch, browse. Not all day.

I *would* drive down past Makena to see the bare lava against the sea. Stop in Wailea for lunch. Take Piilani Hwy. south, not pokey Kihei Road. Follow the signs "To Wailea. To Makena". Come back along the lower Kihei Road past the Kamaole beaches. (Kihei is a residential area, not 'gussied up' for tourism. Town center and north is typical small town with strip malls.)

Not even sure I'd do the all-day RTH since you will be staying in gorgeously tropical Kauai...and it's your honeymoon! Maybe Upcountry + some time in kind-of-hippie Paia town. Iao Valley?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon in Maui - thoughts on itinerary?

Personally I would leave for Hana earlier. But, I'm crazy slow at each stop trying to take a million pictures and ended up having a 15 hr day the last time I went. Just make sure to watch your time so you're not driving all the way back in the dark. Again, this is from personal experience on two different occasions!