We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just a little bit stressed

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Just a little bit stressed

I am usually great at planning my family vacation. Hawaii has got me stressed out! We are going to be on the Pride of America which docks on a Sunday at 8 am (Kahului). My original plan was to rent a car and keep it over night. The ship leaves the next day at 6:00 pm. I wanted to drive the road to Hana and was going to do that the first day after getting my car. After reading how sketchy the road is, how rental car companies won't allow you to go beyond Hana, etc I've decided to book a tour with Valley Isle Excursions. They will pick us up at the ship when we dock and take us out for 8 to 10 hrs. Now, here is where my problem lies, what do I do on day 2? Should I pick up a rental for day 2 and then drop it off by 4 pm? Does this ship dock in an industrial area? Are there places to walk to if I don't get a car the second day? I really wanted to see Haleakala crater, maybe shop a little bit or hang on the beach for a little bit. Any advice that you can provide will be appreciated. I might add that I am traveling with my husband and sons ages 18 and 21.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,443 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just a little bit stressed

Yes, if you are docking in Kahului, it's an industrial area. Only place to walk to is a mall. It would be a good idea to rent a car for the 2nd day and go up to the summit of Haleakala. It will take about 1 1/2 hours from Kahului. You will even have time to stop in Makawao or Paia and do a bit of shopping. If you don't want to do that, still rent a car and drive to south Maui. About 1/2 hour from Kahului. Kihei has great beaches, shops and restaurants.

Congrats on picking the Valley Isle Tour. You will have a magnificent time.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,578 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just a little bit stressed

Valley Isle Tour is a great choice. Watch for the macadamia nut brittle! KILLER! And they stop at the Tedecshe (sp?) Winery, so you'll probably have time to go to the general store catty-corner from it. Get a coffee fudgesicle from the freezer case. Wonderful!

Yep - not much (if any) flexibility on the cruise.

You can, as msfuzz mentioned, rent a car and drive to the summit of Haleakala. Although Kahului is an industrial area, it does on one big positive - it's relatively close access to the road you will take up to the summit. Makawao and/or Paia are fun for browsing. If you can get the car early, early, you could also work in a trip to the Iao Valley (!!) or the Maui Ocean Center.

If you don't want to rent a car, the ship has an excursion where they take you to Lahaina - and let you do your own thing. You'd have lots of options ... catamaran sails, shopping, historic sites ... take the bus to Ka'anapali Beach and/or Whaler's Village.

You aren't talking about next week, are you??? When are you sailing?

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just a little bit stressed

Thanks, that sounds good. I decided to do the tour because I'll be doing most of the driving if we get the car and I wanted to sit back and relax. Plus I figured with the tour they would know where to stop whereas I would probably drive right by. I want to look out of the window too.

I was getting the car from the Kahului Airport. What would be the best way to get there? By cab?

We are arriving in Oahu on Tuesday June 25 and the ship sails on Saturday the 29th. So my dates for Maui would be June 30 and July 1.

Edited: 26 March 2013, 23:57
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,578 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just a little bit stressed

See if Enterprise will deliver a car to you at the dock.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,466 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just a little bit stressed

Check with http://discounthawaiicarrental.com/ they offer pier pick-up and you may be able to get a car after you return from your Hana tour...great choice by the way, so you could get an early start the next morning. A drive to Lahaina and further north would be a great contrast to your Hana day. I do always love a trip Upcountry as well.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just a little bit stressed

If you had a choice between Lahaina and Haleakala crater, which would you choose? I was looking for info on Lahaina and it said there were a lot of art galleries there. Do you think it would interest a 18 and 21 yr old?

It's great to know that you all think I made a great choice using Valley Isle. The woman I spoke with on the phone couldn't have been nicer.

Edited: 27 March 2013, 01:38
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,578 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just a little bit stressed

Groan... And this is one reason why I never recommend the NCL cruise. Both Lahaina (and that area) and Haleakala (and that area) are are great choices. Both are "must-do's." Your kids would love either of them. And remember, you could catch a catamaran sail from Lahaina and a number of other things. Great food, shopping, historic sites. (Craving Starbuck's?) A short drive to Ka'anapali Beach ... or drive up to Kapalua ... just a wonderful area.

I guess what I am thinking is ... if you all are going to Volcanoes National Park on the BI (Hilo) - then go to Lahaina on Maui instead of Haleakala. Note that these two volcanoes are very, very different of course ... just trying to help you with your decision.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,466 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just a little bit stressed

Don't know! Do your boys like art? Mine do. If not they should love the drive to the north and checking out the blowhole.

They may also enjoy a day in Paia...surfing town great pizza at Flatbread Co. and you can drive past to Hookipa and watch the windsurfers.

Have you checked in to www.cruisecritic.com ? That site can really make a difference in your cruise. We've used it for all of our cruises, connecting with others before you leave really helps!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just a little bit stressed

I agree, cruisecritic is great and the info there can really help with planning.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just a little bit stressed

No, my boys aren't into art. I'm sure we'd all like to check out the blowhole. Yes, I've been on Cruise Critic and I do have an active roll call right now. I like this site a lot better. They've changed their format on CC and I'm just not feeling it. I've looked at their message boards and was going to post this very same question over there. Just haven't got around to it yet. Thanks for all the help.