We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spam?

ontario
Level Contributor
293 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Spam?

I have read that spam is used a lot in Hawaii and other parts of the US. Is this the meat that you get in a can for sandwiches in the grocery stores? If so it must be a lot better than the stuff we get here in Canada. Here it is ground up meat like pork and beef. Just curious.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spam?

It's the same Spam, though there are now many additional flavors, besides "spam flavored". The key is how it is seasoned, marinated, cooked, etc. You'll be surprised at how good it can be in the right "local" dishes. You'll see Span Musubi (slice of fried spam, with rice, like a big sushi) as a snack in many convenience stores. You'll also see spam and eggs for breakfast and I think Da Kitchen has other spam items on their menu.

The history of it, as I understand, goes back to WWII and the strong military presence in Hawaii.

ontario
Level Contributor
293 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spam?

That is interesting. I had seen it on this forum quite a bit. I did see Spam and Eggs and Spam Musubi. I didn't know you could cook it. Also what is poke? I am willing to try anything and everyone seems to love this as well.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,354 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spam?

History:

http://www.spam.com/spam-101/history-of-spam

And on April 27, 2013 will be the 11th annual Waikiki Spam Jam cook-off (wish I was there):

http://www.spamjamhawaii.com/

Yes, I love me some SPAM! Deviled eggs with minced Spam is my specialty.

3Chihuahuas

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
277 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spam?

Spam does nicely in your favorite fried rice recipe. We use the low sodium version--that makes it healthy :-)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,352 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spam?

Poke is small cuts of raw fish. Usually spiced up with different ingredients.

whatscookingamerica.net/History/Poke.htm

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spam?

You can get poke at pretty much any supermarket. Most will be happy to let you try before you buy. You'll also see it on many menus, but that tends to be more of what we call "fancy poke". We prefer the simpler "supermarket poke".

And if you were not sure, it's pronounced "po-KAY". Also accepted "po-KEY". Not "poke" like you do with a stick.

ontario
Level Contributor
293 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spam?

LOL, Thank you grandeau for letting me know how to properly pronounce it. Now I won't sound silly when I ask for it. I would have pronounced it as "poke" like you do with a stick.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spam?

10vey, I've been there and have done that. I figured I'd save you the hassle and make you look more worldly to your travel companions.

ontario
Level Contributor
293 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spam?

Thanks grandeau, I feel more worldly already! I tell my husband my trip last longer than his because I am on this forum every day. By the time we get there I know which foods to try, places to go and shows we should see. Looking at the pictures from other people really excites me. I am very happy to be going this year. We thought we were going to have to cancel due to some very serious health issues I had this winter. The Dr. cleared me last friday. So 20 more days we will be there. We booked this trip last Aug for our 15th anniversary. We were married in Oahu so now we will try Maui. My husband has been several times but this will be my first. Looking forward to this experiance. A great end to a miserable winter.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spam?

I love taking a picture of the Spam aisle at Foodland for everyone to see back home... :)