We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaskan Airlines - January 2014

Minnesota
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Alaskan Airlines - January 2014

My husband and I each got one of the Alaskan Airlines credit cards to get the companion fares and the miles to put towards another ticket. We are travelling from Minnesota and wondering when to bite the bullet on tickets. They are currently about $850 each.

Does anyone have experience with this airlines and the history of fares? When would be the best time to buy the tickets for a January flight? I don't want to wait too long and not be able to get all the tickets on the same flight but I also don't want to waste money if they definately will go down.

Thanks,

portland or
Level Contributor
212 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaskan Airlines - January 2014

I Love Alaska Air. So did you get a free flight with the credit card? I'm confused by your message. The best one way fare in miles for them with Hawaii is usually 20K so if you can get that now, I'd book it. January is busy for Hawaii and fares are definitely up this year and probably not going down in the next 8 mos. As dates book up and get closer, the mileage points go up, as does the cash cost. Hope this helps!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,992 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaskan Airlines - January 2014

Embr - they are using their companion fares - which is the equivilent of buy one, get another fare for $100+tax - that is how we take MUCH cheaper family trips. We use these annually - not the same as booking mileage.

I would book by the fall - that is often when there are specials with the exception of Christmas time - if yours is early January, you may want to book those earlier. :)

Minnesota
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaskan Airlines - January 2014

We are using both the companion fares - buy one full price, get one for $100- and our miles to get one additional ticket.... 5 tickets in all. We will be going January 9th to the 19th. This is definately helping a lot in the price of the tickets.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,992 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaskan Airlines - January 2014

The difficulty will be that mileage requirements go up the closer to the flying time - at least that is what I have noticed when trying to use mileage for Hawaii. You may need to book sooner than fall if you want that mileage option. :)

Edited: 27 March 2013, 23:37
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
434 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaskan Airlines - January 2014

If the fare goes down, you can submit a request to credit your account(s) for future travel. You'll have a year to use that credit.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,018 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaskan Airlines - January 2014

If your dates are firm, I would purchase tickets now. As someone else stated, you can get a credit for future travel if rates go down. The beauty of the companion fare is that it stays the same regardless of fluctuations in the cost of the other tickets, reducing the impact of higher fares for a couple or group of travelers.

Oregon
Level Contributor
112 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaskan Airlines - January 2014

Alaska may credit you if they lower fares -- on the identical itinerary (last we checked).

We've used the feature a couple of times, both on flights where we've used the companion fare. What we got was a credit in our account that we've used on a following flight (within 12 months of original purchase).

But you have to catch the lower fare -- and then ask using their procedures.

8. Re: Alaskan Airlines - January 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2014, 05:16