We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

R2h stops?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
640 posts
1 review
Save Topic
R2h stops?

Want to do the road to hanA. Definitely want to do the pipiwai trail to the big waterfall, oheo gulch, black sand beach. We will have an audio cd and will probably be best if we follow the markers on the cd vs drive straight to the trail and then make stops on our way back? Any other recomended stops on the road to Hana that cannot be missed. Am planning to leave kihei no later than 7am hopefully gives us enough time

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,421 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: R2h stops?

Keanae Peninsula! The half way point, according to some maps, and well worth the trip down to the coast. The turn is easy to miss though! That is also where you can get Auntie Sandy's banana bread.

Hamoa Bay, if you have time. It is south of Hana.

You won't be able to see it all, that is for sure.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
640 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: R2h stops?

Also maybe what stops shOuld we just pass up, if any? I hear the first couple of mile markers are ok to miss?

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,494 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: R2h stops?

Do not miss Wa'ianapanapa State Park and the black sand beach! It is breath-taking and gorgeous! Be careful swimming in that water because it can be extremely powerful and the waves pound onto the beach without a reliable pattern. Keep your eyes on the water when close...... We set up our chairs way back from the water and eat our picnic lunch there!

We also loved Ke'anae and the banana bread from Auntie Sandy's! The church is lovely to photograph, as well as the coastal views with the black lava rock, blue-turquoise ocean, greenery and the sky. It makes for amazing pictures. Have a great drive! Deb

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,540 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: R2h stops?

Take a look at the Hana forum. You will find all kinds of info about the Hana Hwy. and all the sights. Look at the Top Questions in that forum. They will help you get a feel about where you may want to stop and what you may want to skip.

You may want to go as far as Kipahulu to visit Lindbergh's grave, then turn around and go back the same way you came. Some people do go to the trail, straight through then make stops on their way back.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
640 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: R2h stops?

Right as I said, will want make stops because of the audio cd we have.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
640 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: R2h stops?

Bump

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
216 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: R2h stops?

my advice is I would not stop anywhere and drive straight to oheo gulch and do the pipiwai trail 1st. you at least beat some of the crowds who stop at every stop on the way their. might be hard to resist though for a first timer its a very pretty drive. cant remember how long the hike was but when your done you can cool off swimming in the pool and on your way back you can stop at hamoa beach then have lunch in hana. THEN stop at every place (waianapanapa, keanae, bamboo forest) and there will be a little less people since everyone else stopped on there way TO hana. I have a 4x4 truck and last time we had friends visiting we went through upcountry straight around the backside road to hana to beat the crowds(not recommended in a rental car/check your rental agreeement/at your own risk) and their was only a couple of cars in the parking lot at oheo when we got there. when we were done with the hike the parking lot was packed and a lot more people. one place i think is overrated is twin falls, just my opinion.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
640 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: R2h stops?

Bamboo forest isn't part of the pipiwai trail? As a newbie I'm afraid we will miss the correct stops without help of the audio cd if we start at oheo and work our way back

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
216 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: R2h stops?

pipiwai trail goes through its own bamboo forest alltogther but there is another popular bamboo forest with waterfalls and hiking after twin falls not sure which mile marker though

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
216 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: R2h stops?

if your doing the cd just stick to the cd thing nevermind i didnt see that part sorry