We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Input

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
307 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Input

My husband and I are finally getting to Maui (for our 10-year anniversary)! We actually planned on going last year, but other plans got in the way. We are leaving in a couple weeks and I have a fairly good itinerary going, but I would love to hear from you experts to see what you think!

ITINERARY

Saturday April 13

• 10:55am – 12:03pm United 6223 ABQ to LAX; 1:55pm – 4:44pm United 1671 LAX to OGG

• Pick up rental @ Alamo & check in Kaanapali Beach Club, 104 Kaanapali Shores Place, Lahaina

• Dinner @ Duke’s Beach House (left from hotel); pool swim; groceries @ Times (behind hotel)

Monday April 14

• 10:30am – 1:00pm Scotch Mist Whale Watch, Lahina Harbor Slip 2

• Garden of Eden Arboretum

Tuesday April 15

• Snorkel Black Rock (park at Sheraton Maui) & enjoy Kaanapali beach

• Lunch @ Castaway Café (right from Sheraton); walk around Whaler’s Village (left from Sheraton)

• Dinner @ Sheraton’s Black Rock Steak & Seafood and watch cliff show

Wednesday April 16

• Road to Hana (stop at Twin Falls; Lower Puohokamoa Falls; Upper Puohokamoa Falls; Wai’anapanapa State Park (black sand beach & blowhole); Wailua Falls; Pipiwai Trail to Oheo Gulch & Waimoku falls [3.6mi hike]) and return on the back side.

Thursday April 17

• 9:00am – 11:00am Surf lesson, Royal Hawaiian Surf Academy

• Afternoon & evening at Lahina (Lunch at Sure Thing Burger, beach, shopping, Ululani’s Hawaiian Shave Ice/Ono’s Gelato, dinner @ Lahaina Grill)

Friday April 18

• Snorkel at Honolua Bay; shower & check out of Kaanapali Beach Club

• Go to Iao Valley State Park

• 8:43pm – 11:59pm United 1508 OGG to LAX

Saturday April 19

• 12:00am – 4:47am United 1508 OGG to LAX; 7:21am – 10:14am United 6223 LAX to ABQ

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
70 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Input

Looks good to me!!!! Have a great time!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,802 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Input

Do not take the back road around Haleakala from Hana 1) it is prohibited on your car rental agreement 2) lack of easy access to emergency service for you or your car 3) the road is in terrible shape and not designed for tourist traffic 4) it is NOT a short-cut, but drops you back in Kahului where the Road to Hana begins 5) it's a really stupid thing to do.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,048 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Input

Sigh.... put all those on a grand plan. Decide each morning what sounds good for the day. Itineraries seldom work out.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,439 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Input

The Garden of Eden is along the Hana Hwy, by I think, 10 miles or so. Do you want to do part of this drive twice?

Not sure where at the Maui Sheraton you plan on parking but their free beach parking fills up very early, plan on that!! The Castaway's is on the other side of Black Rock. Your best bet would be to snorkel Kahekili Beach Park instead. Much better snorkeling, parking is free and lots of it. Just a short walk on the beach to Castaway's.

In order to see and do all you want to on the road to Hana, skip Twin Falls and after hiking the Pipiwai Trail, go a bit further toward Kipahulu to see Lindbergh's grave. That is where you will need to turn around and go back the same way you came.

Alberta
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Input

I would also skip the Garden of Eden and go to the beach for the afternoon. Other than that it sounds like great fun!

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Input

What I learned my first week in Hawaii - Plans are great going in, but by the 2nd day you are in the Hawaiian mindset, more like a what do we want to do today.

Keep your plans as a guideline (except for scheduled activities of course) and take each day as it comes.

Weather through a wrench in our plans a few times, so keep an open mind.

You will have a great time

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,469 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Input

I will also chime in and say that with such a short visit, it is great to have an idea of what your top three activities are, but you will be amazed at how quickly time flies! Other than your reserved activities........decide the night before what interests you for the next day. And like D P said, sometimes weather will factor into your decisions. Have a wonderful vacation on Maui! Deb

P.S. If you really enjoy gardens, the Garden of Eden is a beautiful and worthwhile stop. I loved the little art shop and it was fun to talk to a young lady working there from Alaska! There are lots of cool photo ops there and I expect to go back again next visit.

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Input

The road around Haleakala (AKA the back side) is not stupid. It was one of the most beautiful drives we have ever taken. I would only tell you to make sure that it hasn't rained alot, which would give me some concern on making that trip. Yes it is slow going in parts, but the last part is (was in 2009) newly paved, and there are some sections in the middle of the trip that are packed down dirt / hard clay type of a road. The car rental agreement we had did not say to not go on this road. it said no off road driving. We had a jeep Liberty and had no problems with the road. Just drive with some common sense and you will be fine. Talk to the park rangers at Oheo Gulch before you get started and they will be able to tell you the conditions of the road at that time. There were 4 of us in our car and I had to talk my wife and the other couple into agreeing to drive it. They did not want to go, but after we did (with NO problems) they thanked me for talking them into it and agreed it was an amazing trip with breath taking scenery.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,250 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Input

"Packed down dirt" = "Off road".

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
46,725 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Input

Aloha,

Not to mention that "newly paved" in 2009 equals rutted and rotten in 2013!!