We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
New Zealand
Level Contributor
315 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
5 nights - should we visit Lanai?

Hubby and I are spending a week in Waikiki in September (2nd visit) and then having our first visit to Maui - so excited! We're staying at The Whaler in Ka'anapali for 5 nights (arriving Friday lunchtime and leaving Wednesday early evening) and I'm just starting to have a think about what we want to see and do. We will have a car.

Mainly we love the beach, snorkling (beginners though) eating out and enjoying a couple of drinks watching the scenary.

Would it be worth making the trip to Lanai for a day (either the ferry or Trilogy) seeing as we're only in Maui for a fairly short time? Or, am I going to see much the same as in Maui?

I guess half the reason I would enjoy the trip is the actual boat ride - or are there any other 1/2 day trips out on the water you guys could reccomend? Thanks :-)

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights - should we visit Lanai?

Trilogy Discover Lanai is a beautiful day and worth doing even with only 5 nights on Maui.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights - should we visit Lanai?

I personally think the Trilogy day trip to Lana'i is great. The snorkeling at Hulopo‘e (ocean conditions permitting) is better than any Maui sites, and the beach is lovely and quiet. I think with five nights on Maui it can be a very nice way to spend the day.

Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
809 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights - should we visit Lanai?

Due to work we usually only can stay for 5 nights. We took the Trilogy West snorkel and we loved it ! We left Kanapalli beach around 8am and were back by 2pm.

Patty

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,241 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights - should we visit Lanai?

Hmmmm .... I would be tempted to say no. To leave it for your next trip.

What does the rest of your itinerary look like? What else do you plan to do?

You know that you can take snorkel sails with Trilogy for 1/2 day. I like the one earliest in the morning. The sunset sail is also popular.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,369 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 nights - should we visit Lanai?

What *else* do you want to see or do on Maui? Haleakala? Upcountry? Iao Valley? Paia? Road to Hana? Drive north to Kaanapali and south past Makena? A half-day sail would be my limit even f you were staying a week.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 nights - should we visit Lanai?

go trilogy its one of the best day excursions u could do on maui

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 nights - should we visit Lanai?

If you were a serious, experience snorkeler I'd say go on the ferry. Since that is not the case, either go to Lanai with Trilogy or save if for next time. It's a lot of money to spend if you find snorkeling really isn't for you.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 nights - should we visit Lanai?

Think a beautiful 2 hour sunset sail would be great for you. I would leave from the dock in Lahaina Harbor. So you would have historic Lahaina as a back drop. Choose the type of boat you like, catamaran, sail boat etc.

Then choose pupus (and have dinner oceanfront in Lahaina) or a complete dinner on your boat.

You are staying right at black rock and will have great snorkel opportunities there.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
315 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 nights - should we visit Lanai?

Thanks everyone. Jimgloria - love the idea of a sunset sail as long as the water is calm, LOL. Any preference for tour companies?

I think we'll try and fit in a 1/2 day tour to Lanai also. Great advice and suggestions as alway guys :-)

10. Re: 5 nights - should we visit Lanai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2014, 06:15