We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 4- La Perouse Bay, Big Beach, Monkeypod and Shopping

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Topic
Day 4- La Perouse Bay, Big Beach, Monkeypod and Shopping

Another day in paradise! I think next time we will stay in South Maui - really liked it a lot.

First stop was USPS in Lahaina to ship home the makeup, hair dryer and all the other stuff I brought but never used so we would have more room in our carry ons for all the stuff that we bought :)

Then Boss Frogs to rent chairs for the day. $6 well spent.

Then we were off to La Perouse Bay. Didn't get as early a start as I would have liked, but no stress, just went with the flow. Such an interesting and different place. The views were great. Loved the contrast of the lave and the ocean. Was spectacular.

After that we had plans to do a number of beaches on the way to happy hour at Monkeypod.

Started at Big Beach. Was a bit cloudy and breezy, not too crowded. DH tried snorkelling but said the currents were too strong. Was so nice there that before we knew it over 3 hours had passed. We were both hungry so we gave up other beaches and went for Happy Hour at Monkeypod Kitchen.

Yet another great food experience on Maui. I had Mai Tais, he had something else and we shared a bunch of half price appetizers. One was better than the other, Ate outside, it was glorious

After we went downstairs to Maui Memories. I had seen a necklace online that I had loved, but alas the artist had taken them out of the store for a show last week and had not yer brought them back. Oh well, I'll have to shop again at the swap meet on Saturday - I have another necklace in mind there anyway.

Then we went to Guava, Gouda and Caviar and got wine, cheeses, salami and a baguette for dinner on the lanai.

Back at the Ocean Club for a nap (me) and gym (DH) and dinner on the lanai later on.

Tomorrow we are off on Trilogy!

Someone from home e-mailed me today and asked if I was bored ye - Hell no! I could stay here a lot longer than just the 3 days I have left. Picked up some real estate magazines today and are dreaming.....

ALoha!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 4- La Perouse Bay, Big Beach, Monkeypod and Shopping

Loving your trip report! Glad you are having a great time. Am I sensing that you like Maui better than Kauia now? Had you been to Maui or Kauai prior to this trip? I am dreaming of living in Hawaii too...

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,552 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 4- La Perouse Bay, Big Beach, Monkeypod and Shopping

Glad you enjoyed the South side today! You will need another day to check out all the other beaches! Did you drive the highway, or use Kihei Road??? Or both???

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 4- La Perouse Bay, Big Beach, Monkeypod and Shopping

I loved Kauai but I love Maui more. I can see myself more on Maui than Kauai for a longer term thing.

The South Shore beaches will have to wait until our next trip. We drove the highway down as far as Wailea than Kihei Road from there on.

Next time looking to stay South. Love all the beach choices there.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,614 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 4- La Perouse Bay, Big Beach, Monkeypod and Shopping

We loved staying on the south side, too. As for Big Beach, I understand it's not a good snorkeling beach---I guess your report reafirms that. But there are a lot of other great beaches south that are great for snorkeling. We also picked up some realestate ads to look at on the plane. Nice to dream! AFter 11 trips to Kauai, we finally gave Maui a try and may like it better, too.

Texas
Level Contributor
857 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 4- La Perouse Bay, Big Beach, Monkeypod and Shopping

Bored? Has that person been to Maui?

I am so glad they have real estate ads out there--we love to dream!

Enjoy the rest of your time!

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,936 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 4- La Perouse Bay, Big Beach, Monkeypod and Shopping

Ahhhh.... another day in paradise. I may be starting to lean more to South Maui too, especially Makena. There are so many great beaches South. Then again, so much to do and so much beauty on the West side, Central, Upcountry, out Hana way... Don't you just love it all?

Glad to hear you loved MonkeyPod. Coconuts waiting for next time? Have a wonderful time on Trilogy tomorrow! Thanks so taking us along!!!

Edited: 03 April 2013, 13:03
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 4- La Perouse Bay, Big Beach, Monkeypod and Shopping

Enjoying your perspective on all things Maui. I have never been brave enough to enter the water at Makena due to the strong shore break. It sure is beautiful to look at, though.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 4- La Perouse Bay, Big Beach, Monkeypod and Shopping

Another dream day! We always start out with intentions to visit more beaches in one day and typically end up happy at the first one we pick! Beach chairs are a must and my husband has just accepted that if the condo doesn't have them........we are getting them! I love the locals that use the loungers! I came close to buying a lounger last trip when the condo didn't have chairs.

We like to do a great lunch and then a simple dinner, too. So many places to eat and I only have one stomach that gets full too fast. I did notice that I loved Maui desserts and Kauai bakeries. Looking forward to more adventures. And the best thing about Maui is the variety of things to do but even better.......doing nothing is pure heaven! Deb

P.S. It is scary to be close enough in age to just clean out the 401K and get that total fixer upper probably nowhere near the beach, but on Maui! Dreams keep us going........

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 4- La Perouse Bay, Big Beach, Monkeypod and Shopping

<<P.S. It is scary to be close enough in age to just clean out the 401K and get that total fixer upper probably nowhere near the beach, but on Maui! Dreams keep us going.>>

Hmmmmm. What a great idea. Don;t need to be on the beach either, but I do need some sort of ocean view.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,793 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day 4- La Perouse Bay, Big Beach, Monkeypod and Shopping

Big Beach, really not known for it's great snorkeling!! My dh has snorkeled Little Beach, heading north from there. Too much of a surf break at Big Beach for any snorkeler to be comfortable in the water.

Thanks, D P for your reports. We went to Oahu and Kauai for an anniversary in the late 90's. Three years later, we were living the dream!!