We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

caution : airport is very busy

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
caution : airport is very busy

We just got back yesterday, and when the airlines are saying 2 hours check in please take them serious.

we flew out at 10 pm and there were at least 400 people ahead of us in line for security. I was so shocked and worried that we would miss our plane. I talked to security guard taking ID pictures etc and he said he hadnt seen it like this since 2007. The line moved as quick as possible, and we made our flight. However, our plane had several people that came running and sweating begging to get ahead insecurity line etc.

So perhaps, take caution on time especially whith spring break season

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: caution : airport is very busy

Was that HNL? Last time we went were never in HNL. We did interisland from Kona to Maui and Maui to Kauai, and had short lines. we got there too early. We left from Lihue to mainland and got there well over an hour early.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,306 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: caution : airport is very busy

The sequester has hit TSA and airport operations hard. Our senator Brian Schatz was just here meeting with airport administration who informed him that average TSA wait times at HNL have more than doubled.

Edited: 03 April 2013, 22:04
fl
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: caution : airport is very busy

OGG on Maui?

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: caution : airport is very busy

Thanks Shelly and SheaG! I work at the Anchorage airport and can say I am dreading our visitor season because it looks like it is going to be slammed for us too! While I can bounce the line and go ahead......employees do not body scan, employees go through old school magnet machines...... It will still be a zoo. The warning is quite helpful......Deb

fl
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: caution : airport is very busy

If you work at ANC, you can skip the line at other airports?

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: caution : airport is very busy

No.......referring to work at home. Sorry......I was confusing! Deb

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: caution : airport is very busy

I'm almost positive the op means OGG. Almost all visitors who are flying further than the west coast of the mainland have a late flight. That means the airport is very busy during these hours. Best to be prepared and plan on being there as early as you can. 2hrs. for a mainland flight sounds reasonable. With the government cutbacks it could get worse.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,010 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: caution : airport is very busy

And it is Spring Break.

3Chihuahuas

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: caution : airport is very busy

it was at the OGG - maui airport that I was referring to.

also it is late in evening and parents traveling with sleepy kids etc with spring break , security was very slow and cautious.

Yes, we were on the dreaded Delta 10 pm flight.

just my caution !!!!! do not push your timing.... if you are traveling in next 8 days....

IT was terrible !

Nanaimo, British...
Level Contributor
265 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: caution : airport is very busy

We got to OGG at 7:30 for our 9:50 flight on Sunday. We were flying Air Canada and the line-up for check-in was long but, we had only carry-on (since we're cheap and didn't want to pay the $50 each direction for a checked bag!) and we'd done our check-in online. I'm not sure if all airlines do this (I know Alaska does because I saw their booth for self check-in) but, it's a real time-saver if you don't have checked bags. We had a few people in line ask us why we were leaving the line, boarding passes in hand (I left DD and DH waiting while I searched out the computers that print out the passes - they were right up at the check-in counters with NO signs letting you know so, not easy to locate) and when we explained, they vowed to go carry-on and online check-in in future. It's a good thing, as long as you don't have too much luggage.

On another airport-related topic - Has anyone else ever gone to an airport bar that doesn't publish drink prices in their menu? I couldn't believe my experience at OGG. I went in for my pre-flight wine-infusion (I'm a nervous flyer) and upon reviewing the menu, asked the waitress the price for the 6 oz and 9 oz glasses of Pinot Noir I'd been drinking whilst on Maui (purchased bottles of this brand at Costco for $8 per). She said, and I quote, "Ummmm, well, the 9 oz is around $15 or $16 and the 6 oz is around $10 or $12". Is this just my experience? I couldn't believe it. I asked her if perhaps another server might have more specific pricing and she said, "We will all say the same. It's not right that they don't put prices on the menu for drinks. You should e-mail the owner and let him know because we are always getting complaints about it.". Now, there was no way I was going to spend, ummmm, $10?, $12?, on a 6oz glass of a cheap Pinot in the first place but, I would at least have appreciated knowing exactly how much they were trying to rip me off. Outrageous. Please, someone tell me that this is just my experience at the OGG airport bar?