We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Revision 2 of our 10 day honeymoon itinerary - Suggestions?

Livingston, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Revision 2 of our 10 day honeymoon itinerary - Suggestions?

Hello again, TA forum.

This is the second version of our 10 day honeymoon itinerary using some of your suggestions. I'm still not sure where to eat dinner every night, but I guess I can always figure that out when it gets closer.

I'm trying to leave enough time to explore as well as relax.

We're also trying to keep the costs down, as the hotels plus rental car are already close to $5000.

I'd love to hear if you have any suggestions.

Hotels:

Sheraton Maui 7/9-7/16

Four Seasons Wailea 7/16-7/19

Itinerary:

July 9th

ARRIVE in Maui around 1:30pm

Check in and EXPLORE!

Dinner at either Hula Grille or at hotel

Probably pass out rather early due to jet lag

July 10th

Drive up to top of Haleakala on our own for sunrise.

Get breakfast on the way down at Gazebo Restaurant in Lahaina.

Explore Lahaina.

Beach in the afternoon.

July 11th (my birthday)

Surf Lessons in the morning with Maui Wave Riders

Beach for the afternoon

Old Lahaina Luau for dinner (Already booked for prime seating)

July 12th

Beach in the morning

Afternoon - Drive to Haleakala National Park, explore park, hike, etc. Drive to top before sunset, watch sunset at top and stay to enjoy stars. Bring sandwiches for dinner, warm clothes for after sun goes down, and beach chairs.

July 13th

No plans yet. Time to relax, explore, whatever.

July 14th

Road to Hana - Depart hotel at 6am to beat the rush

July 15th

No plans yet. Time to relax, explore, whatever.

July 16th

Check out of Sheraton

Drive to Wailea

Check in to Four Seasons

Maybe dinner at the hotel and explore

July 17th

Relax at beach and/or pool

Explore

Maybe visit Surfing Goat Dairy

July 18th

Zipline Tour with Maui Zipline

Relax

July 19th

Check out of Four Seasons by noon, hopefully they have a spare room we can use to shower/change after relaxing at the beach.

Drive to airport.

California
Level Contributor
7,992 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Revision 2 of our 10 day honeymoon itinerary - Suggestions?

Both are very doable. Unless you have the extra money I would just stick with the Sheraton Maui. It's always a good pick and it's in a great area. Your July dates are why everything's so expensive, hard to get around that.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
16,182 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: Revision 2 of our 10 day honeymoon itinerary - Suggestions?

The Gazebo is up in Napili which is about 20 minutes north of Lahaina, 5-10 minutes north of Kaanapali. I'd go there on a different day.

If heart is set on FS, I can understand. But I'd rather spend more on places to eat, fun activities than expensive hotel. You do have a lot of down time which is good.

Edited: 04 April 2013, 20:36
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
625 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Revision 2 of our 10 day honeymoon itinerary - Suggestions?

Are you driving up to the summit of Haleakala twice? I might skip the sunset - or the sunrise and do it just once. Do your hiking on your Hana day and hike the Pipiwai trail. And agree - hit the Gazebo for breakfast (or lunch as they have the same menu) on the 13th or the 15th and explore the Napili area that day.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
53,561 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Revision 2 of our 10 day honeymoon itinerary - Suggestions?

You want to go to Haleakala twice? Then do a trip to Hana? I would only go to Haleakala once. Sunrise or sunset or in the middle of the afternoon!!

If you do go to Haleakala for the sunrise, you still will have almost a 3 hour drive to get up to the Gazebo in Napili for breakfast. Stop in at the Kula Lodge instead. Good breakfast and absolutely gorgeous views.

The last couple of days at the Four Seasons sounds wonderful, I wouldn't drop it for more days at the Sheraton.

Montana
Level Contributor
86 posts
54 reviews
5. Re: Revision 2 of our 10 day honeymoon itinerary - Suggestions?

I love the Sheraton and we stay there very year. However - there are much better food option as close as Whaler's Village. Hula Grill is one of our favorites and if you eat in the bar area or at the bar around the chef's area - you can order off of either the bar or dining room menu which gives you a variety of options.

We loved hiking the Pipiwai Trail. People describe the bamboo forest but until you are there - you really can't imagine it properly. It was definitely a highlight for us.

Overall - just be flexible. If the weather doesn't heed your plans or if you are tired and don't feel like doing what is on the schedule - don't. One of my favorite things about being in Maui is getting up every day and deciding what we want to do that day. It is a special place and you will have a wonderful time.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,163 posts
109 reviews
6. Re: Revision 2 of our 10 day honeymoon itinerary - Suggestions?

Also, when you go up to Haleakala, you will pay 10.00 per car to enter the park. The receipt is good for three days, so do NOT lose it! You can use it again on the RTH day to enter the park at Oheo Gulch.

I have to agree with the two trips to Haleakala. It doesn't matter which trip you do, just get up there. Sunrise is more crowded than sunset, in case that matters to you.

Surfing Goat Dairy is Upcountry, and can be combined with your trip up to Haleakala. You have a lot of driving to do with the itinerary the way it stands now.

And yes, check out the Kula Lodge for breakfast as msfuzz suggests. I would be waaay too hungry to last that long getting back over to West Maui!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
240 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: Revision 2 of our 10 day honeymoon itinerary - Suggestions?

Pipwai Trail/Bamboo Forest = A MUST! A definite life "wow" moment for us!

Like the others said, the Gazebo is not on the way "down" from Haleakala, not even close. But the Kula Lodge is. But beware, they stop serving breakfast at 10:30am sharp, so if you want breakfast, don't dilly dally! We did, got there at 11am on a Sunday, and it was lunch only :-(

California
Level Contributor
49,073 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: Revision 2 of our 10 day honeymoon itinerary - Suggestions?

Hey, pman!

July 9th - Check in ... and then walk down to Hula Grill. It will take no time at all. Sit outside in the "barefoot" area ... order something nice and relax. It will be an early dinner. Then walk through Whaler's Village to the ABC Store and pick up water, sodas, snacks, etc. (You should never travel without water.) Then go back to your room and plotz.

July 10th - Sunrise on Haleakala is fine. But if you don't have the energy - no harm. You're on vacation. Just go mid-day. BUT - if you do go to Haleakala for sunrise, you will be famished, by the time you get back to the Gazebo. I wish I had good ideas for breakfast in that area (and I know there are some good options along with Kula Lodge) ... so maybe post about it later?

The Gazebo isn't in Lahaina. And Lahaina would take the rest of the day. So no harm in exploring Lahaina on your way back to the Sheraton - but have breakfast first. The afternoons in Lahaina are HOT. Personally, not my favorite time to be there in July.

July 11th (my birthday) - "Happy Birthday, dear pman! Happy Birthday to you!" The day sounds fine.

July 12th - I would not go to Haleakala twice. Choose sunrise or sunset or some time in between. And I would not go to the beach that morning. I'd head toward Haleakala and visit the Iao Needle, or the Maui Ocean Center or browse Paia and or Makawao.

July 13th - I would take a catamaran snorkel sail with Trilogy. They shove off right "next door" to your resort - and you will love it ... whether you snorkel or not. Take the early morning sail - the views of the coast are fantastic and the water is generally calmer. http://www.sailtrilogy.com/

July 14th - Consider taking a tour to Hana. So far, you will have been doing plenty of driving, and it would be nice to be the passenger for a change. The Road itself is the attraction - and it will be busy in July. I would take a tour. (Did I mention that I would take a tour?)

July 15th - maybe this would be a good day to have breakfast in Lahaina and browse.

July 16th - Sounds good. We can give you some good dinner options.

July 17th - Here's the deal: If you want to go to Haleakala twice and/or the Road to Hana ... do one of those trips from Wailea. You'll knock about 20 minutes off both ways, and you can spread out your driving.

July 18th - Zipline Tour with Maui Zipline

July 19th - head for home.

pman, it sounds like you could use some help with dinner places and evening entertainment. You have some great options when at the Sheraton (another reason to move one of those Halekala/Road to Hana days to the end of the trip).

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,163 posts
109 reviews
9. Re: Revision 2 of our 10 day honeymoon itinerary - Suggestions?

If you do take a tour for the RTH, Valley Isle gets great reviews on here. BUT.. you will not have time to hike the Pipiwai Trail. If that is really important to you, you may want to do the drive yourself.

Livingston, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
10. Re: Revision 2 of our 10 day honeymoon itinerary - Suggestions?

Thanks everyone for your advice! I've revised my itinerary with some of your suggestions. I took out the sunrise trip to Haleakala and added the Pipiwai trail after the road to Hana.

Just so you know, the hotels are already booked. I'm excited to spend a few days in the lap of luxury at the Four Seasons and that's why I didn't plan too much while in Wailea. I figure we'll enjoy the lavish pools and beach most of the time.

Also, I'm trying not to add extra "excursion" type trips, like sail trips or tours because we're trying to keep the cost down at this point. Also, my fiance gets VERY seasick, so a sail is out of the question.

We are bringing our own snorkel gear so we aren't missing out on that aspect.

We could DEFINITELY use some help on dinner places and evening entertainment. Neither of us are big drinkers, though my fiance will probably have a drink here and there.

Revised Itinerary:

Hotels:

Sheraton Maui 7/9-7/16

Four Seasons Wailea 7/16-7/19

Itinerary:

July 9th

ARRIVE in Maui around 1:30pm

Check in and EXPLORE!

Dinner at Hula Grille

Check out Whalers Village and get supplies

July 10th

Get breakfast at The Gazebo.

Explore Lahaina.

Beach in the afternoon.

Maybe check out Ululani's shaved ice.

July 11th (my birthday)

Surf Lessons in the morning with Maui Wave Riders

Beach for the afternoon

Old Lahaina Luau for dinner (Already booked for prime seating)

July 12th

Visit Iao Needle State Park

Drive to Haleakala National Park, explore park, hike, etc. Drive to top before sunset, watch sunset at top and stay to enjoy stars. Bring sandwiches for dinner, warm clothes for after sun goes down, and beach chairs.

July 13th

Free day. Relax, explore, whatever.

July 14th

Road to Hana - Depart hotel at 6am to beat the rush

Hike Pipiwai Trail at the end of the highway

July 15th

Free day. Relax, explore, whatever.

July 16th

Check out of Sheraton

Drive to Wailea

Check in to Four Seasons

Maybe dinner at the hotel and explore

July 17th

Relax at beach and/or pool

Explore

Maybe visit Surfing Goat Dairy if the mood strikes.

July 18th

Zipline Tour with Maui Zipline

Relax

July 19th

Check out of Four Seasons by noon, hopefully they have a spare room we can use to shower/change after relaxing at the beach.

Drive to airport.