We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ahihi Confusion

Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ahihi Confusion

Hi all, MsFuzz clarified in another thread the confusion that occurs with the names of Makena Beach/Maluaka/Big Beach....which brought to mind another question I've had recently as I've read some of the snorkeling threads and got my new snorkel book in the mail. I'm trying to "justify" some maps that I have that seem to label things differently from each other, and want to make sure we know where we're going and don't encroach:

There is Ahihi Kinau reserve, Ahihi Cove, Ahihi Bay, and LaPerouse Bay (that you have to cross the reserve to get to). Oh, and the "Dumps" that everyone talks about. The Maui snorkel guide I have--by the Malinowskis--has directions to the Aquarium and Fishpond areas under the heading of Ahihi-Kinau Reserve, they are closed, right? And this guide doesn't say anything about the "Dumps", nor can I find Moanakala listed. Soooo, in comparing the DLNR AK Reserve map to the snorkel guide map I have, this is what I "think". Can someone verify?

Ahihi Cove is open for snorkeling--is that the same as what is listed on the DLNR map as "Waiala cove"? The DLNR map doesn't show anything called Ahihi Cove...

The Malinowski guide shows a parking lot 0.2 mi south from Ahihi Cove, with a rocky trail leading to an entry point on the south end of Ahihi Bay. Is this the same as the Dumps indicated on the DLNR map?

And you can drive across the reserve to the parking area at the end of Makena Rd and go into LaPerouse Bay near the LaPerouse memorial, right?

I also understand that the anchioline pools are off-limits. Sorry to be dense, but can someone explain to me what one is? How will we know one when we see one? Mahalo!

--S

Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ahihi Confusion

Oh, the map I was looking at from the state is at this link:

hawaii.gov/dlnr/…20Sign.jpg

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ahihi Confusion

This is Ahihi cove: maps.google.com/…

That's Steven Tylers house on the right side of the cove, the Dumps is on the left as you snorkel out.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ahihi Confusion

It's the Ahihi-Kinau Natural Area Reserve, which encompasses all that you mentioned.

Yes, Ahihi Cove is the same as Waiala Cove. The parking lot from the Malinowski guide is where you park when going to Moanakala, aka "the dumps. The trail they talk about leads right to it.

You can drive right to the LaPerouse Monument to LaPerouse Bay. I wouldn't snorkel here, it's a tough go to get in and out.

The anchioline pools you talk about are in the same area as the fishbowl and aquarium snorkeling spots that are still closed, at least until 2014. If you don't start traipsing through sharp lava that isn't part of a trail, you won't run into any of them.

Edited: 04 April 2013, 21:15
Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ahihi Confusion

Thanks for MsFuzz and Kitsura for helping clarify. As I'm just on the other side of 7 weeks in a big old brace healing my broken kneecap, I heartily swear I won't walk on any sharp lava! Easy entry is the rule for this trip.

--S

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ahihi Confusion

Your welcome, SeattleBadger, hope you heal soon!!

Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ahihi Confusion

Walking is sooo underrated. Feels so good to be getting back in shape, and so fun to have a goal (Maui!) to work towards. Thanks!

Edited: 04 April 2013, 23:12
Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ahihi Confusion

Also note, Ahihi cove doesn't have a beach of sand, it's a beach of rocks so if you have tender feet like mine, it hurts to walk barefoot on it. I wore my flipflops to the old boat ramp (where they want you to enter) and threw the flip flops back to our stuff. Getting back out, I waited until hubby got out and had him hand me my flip flops again.

At the end of the road---Laparouse Bay, there is a walking path that is pretty flat. I don't know how far it goes, but I did enjoy leisurely walking it a half mile or so and taking pictures.

Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ahihi Confusion

Thanks for that info, slabeaume. Just got a little mesh bag (giveaway from our local dive shop!) to "tow" my tevas, waterproof wallet, etc with me while I snorkel. I won't want to be walking anywhere unsteady or uncomfy. But looking forward to seeing that area. We've never been that far south.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ahihi Confusion

BTW---snorkeling there at Ahihi is fantastic!

Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ahihi Confusion

Can't wait!!! Plan to go early in our trip when we're still on early wake-up time. So fun to think about as I listen to the rain hitting our roof tonight...