We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing Beaches for Beginner/Intermediate Surfers

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Surfing Beaches for Beginner/Intermediate Surfers

Hey Tripadvisors,

What are the best beaches for beginner/intermediate surfers between Lahaina and Makena?

We've taken many lessons in Costa Rica and can paddle and catch our own waves, but are looking for a beach with smaller swells (under 5 feet), break without a long paddle, and minimal beach hazards (rocks, sharp reef, rays, sharks, etc.)

From my research, Kiheli and Launiupoko look decent, but I'm concerned that the waves might be TOO beginner for us.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
776 Reviews
Maui, HI
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,286 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing Beaches for Beginner/Intermediate Surfers

What time of year will you be there?

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfing Beaches for Beginner/Intermediate Surfers

We are thinking February but possible March, 2014.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfing Beaches for Beginner/Intermediate Surfers

Most areas, except for parts of Kihei and further south, are rocky or coral bottoms. I always wear booties on island myself.

February is in the middle of winter when the larger swells hit the island however any given day can be smaller. Launiupoko can be fun on a decent sized day, a bit mushy though. All along that strip of highway can be found various breaks. Just pick one and go out! Also places in Olowalu.

The area behind the breakwater in town also can be fun, but can be filled with other beginners.

Do keep in mind that most of the popular breaks tend to be competitive and dog-eat-dog. Locals are not inclined to give up waves. (also true here in Socal...Malibu today has over 50 surfers banging into each other)

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,880 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surfing Beaches for Beginner/Intermediate Surfers

Listen to nesdog...Olowalu is my son's fave for surfing but he LOVES taking his boogie board out with the surfers at DT. Fleming. He knows what he is doing, respecting local surfers and their "lanes", as nesdog alluded to, can be a real issue. Surfers can be very territorial on any break.

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surfing Beaches for Beginner/Intermediate Surfers

Thanks for the input. I guess I should have mentioned that we'll need a beach with a board rental nearby as well since we aren't bringing out own. I'd imagine the beaches along the highway don't have board rental. I'm pretty good at not getting in other people's way, but I can't speak for my husband. But at the same time, I don't want a bunch of beginners taking lessons in my way either... Conundrum.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
221 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surfing Beaches for Beginner/Intermediate Surfers

Feb/March all the swells are out of the so anywhere south of kaanapali will be flat. U can try kaanapali theres usually a little bump there if theres swell and u can rent boards right on the beach but i would Go to s-turns (pohaku beach park) in kahana. There is a boss frogs right down the street to rent boards at. 5 minute walk to the break usually just wannabe janitors on stand up paddle boards, and longboarders, other kooks on rental boards, mellow vibes. If you stay on the inside u can catch lots of waves and stay out of peoples way. other than that there isn't too many other places to surf in winter if your a beginner just remember if in doubt don't paddle out if its firing.

Edited: 07 April 2013, 06:28
7. Re: Surfing Beaches for Beginner/Intermediate Surfers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2014, 06:15